Ready to bite the bullet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to bite the bullet

Between last summer and this summer the rain has cancelled out many of my trips. Now I'm ready to invest in a good quality rainsuit.
    I'd like a two piece suit that is well ventilated, so I don't get soaked with sweat if the sun happens to break through now and then. I have read that Goretex is the best material. Does anyone have any experience with these suits, or is there something better out there?. It would be great if I could just put the suit on when the weather looks iffy and ride rather than constantly stopping to take the suit on and off.
    I would imagine the suit will be pricey but the riding season is short enough up here without losing 3 or 4 days a week to rain. Thx Rick
    I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Good raingear suggestion...

Hey, Big Daddy.
    I just bought some this year, and I couldn't be happier with them.
    I bought a new set of FieldShear from a local Honda dealer. Gave $50.
    2 piece set, Black pants, (has the boot loops), jacket is Black lower, yellow top & has the reflective silver trimming front & back. Great stuff... and FANTASTIC for knocking the cold, winter wind off! Cuffs and waist have the elastic band. Yet still VERY breathable.

Check out the Colo. '09 ride report... there's a picture of me wearing them when I'm on the back of Rod's Wing that Tod took.

I'm very impressed w/ them for $50.
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

So that explains EVERYTHING right there, Bob. You had on Honda clothes.. riding a Yamaha. That Goldwing back seat was calling your name before you even left Oklahoma! lol..

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Funk View Post
        Between last summer and this summer the rain has cancelled out many of my trips. Now I'm ready to invest in a good quality rainsuit.
        I'd like a two piece suit that is well ventilated, so I don't get soaked with sweat if the sun happens to break through now and then. I have read that Goretex is the best material. Does anyone have any experience with these suits, or is there something better out there?. It would be great if I could just put the suit on when the weather looks iffy and ride rather than constantly stopping to take the suit on and off.
        I would imagine the suit will be pricey but the riding season is short enough up here without losing 3 or 4 days a week to rain. Thx Rick
        Hey Big Daddy

My experience with a gore-tex rain suit is very good but the outside material is very thin and easily torn, at least the suit I have is . I do wear gore-tex when I hunt but I picked up a Wet Skins two piece rain suit at WallyMart for riding in the rain. It has a few vents here and there and I have never been too hot while riding.

It's a great product for keeping dry for sure you can't go wrong if you buy a gore-tex rain suit. Just be careful if you need to clean it , wash it the wrong way and it won't work as well.
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          So that explains EVERYTHING right there, Bob. You had on Honda clothes.. riding a Yamaha. That Goldwing back seat was calling your name before you even left Oklahoma! lol..

Tod
          You may have something there...

But you also have to remember, that was a HEATED, Ostrich leather, CORBIN, aftermarket seat I was on... not you're typical Honda vinyl... (and boy was it nice in the cold...)

You're probably right, it was the clothes that jinxed the oil pump bolts and made them fall out... My XJ was offended and rebelled! HeHe
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I still really like the Frog Toggs. They sell them in bike stores but look in sporting goods stores instead. There is a place here that regularly have them on sale for $20/set. They are light, breath, and keep you really dry. Some guys have had durability problems around the boot level but I have had mine for over 2 years with no problems.
            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
            '82 XJ1100
            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I have the best rain suit i just dont go if it looks like rain and i dont get wet lol

Jim
              http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...all2008017.jpg

Comment

+1 for Frogg Toggs...they are lightweight fold up into nothing,breathable and made to fit and be worn OVER all your gear that is already on boots and all...and relatively cheap! And you will stay dry...but I hope you're not jinxing the XSNorth rally...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by ossjughead View Post
                  I have the best rain suit i just dont go if it looks like rain and i dont get wet lol Jim
                  Hi Jim,
                  I have ridden in Ontario; one minute, clear blue sky; next minute the rain is bouncing off the road a foot high.
                  What happens if you go riding on a day like that?
                  As I see it your options are these:-
                  Ride home anyway with the rain soaking through your clothing so you court pneumonia.
                  Hide under a bridge or a gas station pediment and pray the rain soon quits.
                  Ride to the nearest store and pay whatever they ask for whatever rainsuit they have.
                  Park the bike and take a cab home.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I have one of these for inclement/autum/early spring and the occasional winter jaunt.

Driza-bone`s most famous product, the genuine Riding Coat.

Made using Driza-bone`s Oilskinfabric which is a 400gm/m2 plain weave oil impregnated waterproof breathable fabric combined with heavy duty twin needle welt seams to provide a waterproof, breathable coat

Designed and manufactured in Australia

Pronounced Dry-as-a-bone and meant for horse riding. They can be a bit heavy and you need to make the decision to wear it before you go, but coupled with a pair of waterproof leggings nobody gets wet, or cold, wearing one of these.

For summer riding, and when rain is possible I wear one of these...

# 500 denier heavy duty construction.
                    # 100% waterproof and windproof.
                    # Double layer reinforced shoulders and elbow protection panels.
                    # Removable twin density foam elbow and shoulder armour.
                    # Zip out quilted thermal quality vest.

For both I just have a cheap pair of waterproof nylon leggings that fold up to nothing and store in my tool kit case. (Tools are carried elsewhere)
                    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

my self and my passenger did 14 days in the rain in the early 80s wearing dry rider 2 piece suits with the optional boot and glove covers and we did not get a single drop of water on us. We also did not get hot. Things have changed a lot sine then but if i were buying a rain suit, I would buy dry rider again. I regret giving the suits to the lad that bough the bike when I sold it.
                      Rob
                      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

+2 for the frog togs.Sporting goods store or order them on line.Lite easy to pack away and way cheaper than a goretex suite.You won't be sorry Terry
                        1980 special (Phyllis)
                        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Dry Rider sounds good

From your experience, how "breathable" is the dry rider jacket? On those days when it pours and then the sun comes out then gets humid, over and over again, all day long. (which seems to be the way it works around here) Can you get enough air going through it to not sweat like a pig when the sun comes out? Thx Rick

Comment

No Fairweather Biking

After checking around I decided to go with the Frogg Togg, Road Toads. (Try saying that quickly three times) $80.00cdn plus $35.00 more for boot and glove covers all from Canadian Frogg Toggs in Peterborough.
                            Thx to everyone for their input. Hopefully the weather won't be a determining factor for me any longer.
                            Juggy is a fairweather biker because they just don't make rainsuits that big
                            Maybe a tent with some eye holes cut out would work?

Comment

cheap rain suit

Originally posted by Big Daddy Funk View Post
                              After checking around I decided to go with the Frogg Togg, Road Toads. (Try saying that quickly three times) $80.00cdn plus $35.00 more for boot and glove covers all from Canadian Frogg Toggs in Peterborough.
                              Thx to everyone for their input. Hopefully the weather won't be a determining factor for me any longer.
                              Juggy is a fairweather biker because they just don't make rainsuits that big
                              Maybe a tent with some eye holes cut out would work?
                              hey daddy!! i bought a rain suit at princess auto ten bucks ,,turns out its great /vented zippers along with fold over snap down covers.. i got crap from lots on this forum but it turns out its great// just a thought,,ride safe slow mo!!
                              The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                              moemcnally@hotmail.com
                              i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Working...
                              X