Apologies for bad behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apologies for bad behavior

In more then one thread yesterday I made comments I should not have!
    I usually do not allow myself to go there under any circumstances. My apologies to all offended or annoyed. I was already pissed off when I came on line with more then a few too many beers. Next time I will just beat my head against a tree or something. So does anyone know how to shave 29.5mm valve shims down to the 29 our bikes use???

Deny
    1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
    1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Originally posted by DenyP View Post
    - - - Next time I will just beat my head against a tree or something. So does anyone know how to shave 29.5mm valve shims down to the 29 our bikes use??? - - - Deny
    Hi Deny,
    no! Not a tree! The environmentalists will get you!
    EDM perhaps? There are undoubtedly several ways to reduce the diameter of a thin shim but IMHO they'd all cost more than going out and buying them.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

In more then one thread yesterday I made comments I should not have!
      I usually do not allow myself to go there under any circumstances. My apologies to all offended or annoyed. I was already pissed off when I came on line with more then a few too many beers. Next time I will just beat my head against a tree or something. So does anyone know how to shave 29.5mm valve shims down to the 29 our bikes use???

Deny
      start with 1 it no big deal we all need to have a place to blow at times. 2 So does anyone know how to shave 29.5mm valve shims down to the 29 our bikes use??? no i hear there is a shim library here but i have also found a reasonable place to get them.

http://www.brittmotorsports.com/shop...~r=bidaa743zz~
      1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

Would a nice manual operated surface gringer do the trick? Forty thousandths sould be cake... they are steel right?
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Wow, you are right, that is a great price - thanks! Turning the shims wasn't a serious question. I had just returned from a 60 mile ride from my Yamiha dealer - they sold me the ##@&!! wrong shims.

Deny

Comment

Wow, you are right, that is a great price - thanks! Turning the shims wasn't a serious question. I had just returned from a 60 mile ride from my Yamiha dealer - they sold me the ##@&!! wrong shims.

Deny
            next time research forum cause i know i posted it in the forum a couple of weeks ago under shims. besides that 29.5 will make it runn funny as i was told.
            Last edited by devilschld; 07-01-2009, 09:44 AM. Reason: forgot somethings
            1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

Sorry, just realized you were talkin about OD. ha NVM
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Yeah.. and those shims have to be exactly right and fit snuggly. If they were loose, after your cam lobe screamed by and the spring popped the bucket and shim back up.. if it was loose, it would be trying to pop it out of the bucket.. although suction from a dab of oil underneath helps this.

Will the shop not let you return them for the right ones since you didn't get what you ordered?

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I read your post and even took my old shims with me, just didn't take my caliper along. They will take them back - it's a timing issue. I have planned a road trip to Salt Lake City leaving Sunday. Thats 1300 miles to be split into 3 days. I have camp sites reserved at the end of each leg - just a major agrivation.

Deny

Comment

Have a great time Deny.Wish I could tag along. Ride safe Terry
                    1980 special (Phyllis)
                    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Deny, which sizes do you need? I have a boatload of shims. If I overnight 'em in the morning you'll have 'em saturday. If that works, let me know the sizes. Oh, and the address D-UH!

Comment

Deny, as for the rants, BTDT no worries especially since I did not read them.

As for shims, I found a local Independant MC shop that sold me all I wanted for $2 a shim. Not as cheap as the kit shown, but a decent deal IMHO.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but can the price there be right? $5.95 for a box of 20 shims in a plastic box when a 5 pack of shims alone are $6.95? This is relevent to me since I'm planning on doing a valve check this weekend.
                          Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
                          '07 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Silent View Post
                            Not meaning to hijack the thread, but can the price there be right? $5.95 for a box of 20 shims in a plastic box when a 5 pack of shims alone are $6.95? This is relevent to me since I'm planning on doing a valve check this weekend.
                            yep i bought 2 sets
                            1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

Deny
                              If I had a nickel for every time I should have apologized for my bad behavior, well I could buy everybody the shims you need. Like I said before I think that most of us here are like armadillos thick skin and probably in the road a little too much, we're not sensitive. However it shows a lot about your character to be able to apologize when you think you should. To that, kudos, your a better man then me!
                              "Shop"
                              Click Here! For the latest XS11 bobber update. shopschops.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X