Computer Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Help!!

I upgraded to a new, dual core, fancy, smancy, wonder machine and DSL a couple of months ago. about a month ago my modem begin quiting when a storm was in the vicinity, and after many phone calls to CenturyTel my provider, I still can't get the modem replaced. Anyway, about the same time, I noticed that if I had a document in Windows word processor, and I try to copy and paste it into the body of an email message, (I have Yahoo mail.) it comes up with a error message saying that Internet Explorer had ceased functioning. So, my burning question is: Is there a fix for this??? Anyone????
    J.D."Jack" Smith
    1980G&S "Halfbreed"
    1978E straight job
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Switch to Firefox as your web browser. Internet Exploder is crap. That's my best suggestion. I'm sure there are other things you could do, such as try to reinstall Internet Exploder or upgrade it to version 8, but personally I'd just make the switch. You'll be happy you did.
    If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

I agree with Varnae, Firefox is much better, faster to use and less errors .
      BDF Special
      80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
      Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

You may want to try re-installing your modem software again as sometimes storms (lightning) will introduce an EMP in the circuitry. Otherwise the jolt would fry your modem and nothing would work. Do not install I.E. 8, as that has bugs galore in it. If I.E. 8 is installed remove it and go to I.E. 7. I use both I.E 7 and Firefox and do not seem to have a problem with either. The fact that I.E. causes your browser freeze indicates that your connection is flaky.Re-installing the modem drivers may fix the problem. One other item to consider is the virus checker, as that has a history of causing browser freezes, do a search on your virus checker on line to see if others report problems and you may run across a posted fix.

Comment

Hey Jack,

Most likely you have Vista, and you may not have turned off the automatic updates functions, and so when MS rolled out IE 8, it got automatically installed on your machine as part of the update process. IE 8 has been reported as being rather BUGGY! Your machine should have come with IE 7, and so you should be able to go to your Control Panel, ADD REMOVE progams and Delete/uninstall IE8 which will then reinstall IE7.

Next, go to your AUTOMATIC updates, and select for windows to TELL you about Updates, but to let YOU decide when and whether to download and install them.

Next, when Windows UPDATED alerts you to updates ready to download/install, click on REVIEW, and UNCHECK the IE8 one, and then check the box about DON'T offer update again, etc., and then you won't have to worry about IE8 being offered or installed....UNTIL it's had it's bugs worked out.

I'm still using IE7, actually just upgraded to it a few months ago mostly for the security update features. IT works fine. I have yet to find/DL or install FireFox, but as has been mentioned that's another option as well!

THere are also websites that you can go to to test you online speed transmission, but if you're getting online, then most likely your modem is working properly still. Good Luck, hope this helped?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks guys

I have Vista, and by lucky accident and a healthy dose of paranoia, I paniced when the download for ie8 came up and canceled it. So, I am looking for a workaround on the copy and paste problem.
            Jack
            J.D."Jack" Smith
            1980G&S "Halfbreed"
            1978E straight job
            "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Hey, if your modem is losing connection when is wet out its most likely a bad line. My parents have the same problem about twice a year with their DSL, if it rains the water somehow gets in the phone lines and makes some corrosion, then it gets worse with each rain until the line gets unusable. Try requesting a line test when the weather is wet and your DSL isn't working, they'll find a lot of "noise" on it and hopefully switch you to a different set of "wires" in their bundle.
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by xs11jack View Post
                I have Vista, and by lucky accident and a healthy dose of paranoia, I paniced when the download for ie8 came up and canceled it. So, I am looking for a workaround on the copy and paste problem.
                Jack
                Hey again,

Well, try creating your preliminary text in NOTEPAD, it doesn't have all of those fancy formatting codes that WORD uses! Then, if it still crashes or freezes, then you have eliminated that. IF it works, then it could be something with WORD's formatting and IE and Yahoo's text window?? Can you create a Yahoo mail document and complete it and send it without using copy/paste and have it NOT FREEZE?
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Psycoreefer, I am beginning to think about bad lines. two weeks ago I complained and two days later a CenturyTel guy shows up and says nothing wrong with the line. But it had been dry for two days!!
                  Topkat, You won't believe what just fixed my copy paste problem!!!!! I was having problems with the freeware SpyWare Terminator, it would not complete a whole scan. Today I went in the control panel and uninstalled it. Then I went to the website and downloaded a new batch. After installing it, I went back to the copy paste problem and it has cleared up!!! figure that one!!! There really are computer gremlins. I had a bunch. You guys got me going in the right direction and I really appreciate it. Thanks again.
                  Ole Jack, cookin' again.
                  J.D."Jack" Smith
                  1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                  1978E straight job

Comment

Working...
                  X