New (to me ) Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (to me ) Windshield

A friend gave me a tombstone type windshield yesterday . Today I installed it and went for a test ride . While I think there is less wind pushing on my body ,I am experiencing a different effect on my head . It seems that my helmet and head are vibrating somewhat . Its like my head is being buffeted by wind from all sides .
    Is this normal ? Will I get used to this ? Right now I find it a bit weird and distracting . I also feel a little disconnected from the outside world (cage-like) behind the windsheild ever though I can see over it clearly . It is a dark tint .
    Funny thing as I was out I hit a small bird squarely on the shield .It was kinda like an omen ???
    XJ1100K
    Avon rubber
    MikesXS black coils
    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
    MikesXS front master
    Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
    Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
    Progressive fork springs
    CIBIE headlight reflector
    YICS Eliminator

The buffeting can be "tuned" buy adjusting the angle of the shield. I just put a small shield on the MNS, and it makes it MUCH easier for me to cruise at my "normal" speed for a few hours. Before the shield, I was looking for a stop after about 1/2 hour, because of the headwinds we have along this coast.
    I find that the airflow from the shield should just catch the very bottom of my full face helmet. I still get some buffeting, but I can live with it. Just my experience.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

It's normal, in my experience, this happens when the shield is either too small for the application, or it is not angled correctly.

Take the bike for a ride, at your normal highway speed. While cruising along, take your left hand and move it up and down from about your nose, to above your head.

You will feel the wind shear where the shield is directing the air. You will probably find it's hitting you directly in the helmet.

Then try and angle your shield so the air goes just above your helmet.

If you can't get this angle, you need a larger windsheild, or a different style.

You will always get some side buffeting. You just don't notice it when you don't have a shield as your more intent on the hurricane from the front!

One phenomenon of large fairings is the 'push' from behind. Large windshields can create a low pressure area in front of the rider that pulls him/her forward.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Shweet!!!

Thanks guys ! I went for a couiple more test runs and found a sweet spot . Wow . It started raining and I didnt need my face bubble . I found I was going faster without the wind to remind me so I'll have to watch that .
        Life is good !
        XJ1100K
        Avon rubber
        MikesXS black coils
        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
        MikesXS front master
        Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
        Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
        Progressive fork springs
        CIBIE headlight reflector
        YICS Eliminator

Comment