Riding etiquette question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding etiquette question

I'm rather new to the world of riding, and I've recently had a few opportunities to do something, and I'm not sure if it's "ok" to do it.

While riding down the highway, I will often come up on another rider (or 2 or 3) ahead of me going the same direction. Is it acceptable to simply fall in behind them as though we were going somewhere together? Or should I change lanes and go around or maintain a bit of separation? I just want to be sure I'm not pissing off some other rider on the road - especially when he's in a position to throw something at me!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

I assume, if you caught up to them you are travelling slightly faster than they are. If it is a multiple lane road they may wonder why if you just sit behind them, but I doubt they would throw anything at you.

If it is a multi-lane, then I would lane change and putt past at whatever speed you were doing, and wave as I go by.

If it's a single lane then you can sit back there all day if you like. Some people just don't like to pass.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Well, I don't tend to stick to the same speed all the time, but the idea of riding in a group kinda gives me a feeling of togetherness, as well as "safety in numbers". This is usually on a multi-lane slab, so going around is always an option, but I rather enjoy riding together. Like I said, I just didn't want the other rider(s) to get upset at me for riding with them uninvited.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Just depends on the other riders...

I'd think that most of the time they wouldn't mind...

I've often ended up behind another rider or two... usually passing when I get the chance... but sometimes end up being part of the pack for a bit...

Several times people have fallen in with us when riding... no big deal... the more the merrier as long as they leave room for maneuvering... just in case...
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

Its optional as far as Im concerned.I have had the same thing both ways.Ive joined other people(s) and occasionally someone will fall into the back of our formation.If it isnt my group I consider it fine to pass at a safe and opportune time.
          Rick
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I'm pretty much by as soon as possible.
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

Depends

It all depends on how much of a hurry I am in. Most of the time, people just wave me around if I come blasting up on them. The one thing I try to do is get some separation from them as quickly as possible to allow them plenty of room.
              Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
              1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
              1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

Heres an idea, instead of falling in behind them, pass them and let them decide if they want to ride with you. Plus then your not behind someone that you have no idea of their skill or bike condition.

When that happens to me, on a multilane I'll pass and leave it up to the other rider, if its a single lane, or I'm not able to pass then I'll leave double or tripple the following distance and fall in staggered so I'm easier for the other guy to see in his mirrors. I'm always thinking that what if the person in front is brand new and has an accident, or makes a stupid decision, or whatever I want to make sure I've got plenty of room to avoid their mistake.
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

I fall in with other riders all the time here in New Hampshire. No one I've ever come across seemed to mind. Same with if I'm in front, I've had others drop in behind me plenty of times and I don't mind in the least.

Just make sure it's not a Highway Patrol or State Police bike you're creeping up on.

Don
                  currently own;
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                  2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Originally posted by DJinNH View Post
                    I fall in with other riders all the time here in New Hampshire. No one I've ever come across seemed to mind. Same with if I'm in front, I've had others drop in behind me plenty of times and I don't mind in the least.

Just make sure it's not a Highway Patrol or State Police bike you're creeping up on.

Don
                    Would the cop care if I was following him? At least I'd be following a well-trained (I would hope) professional rider. I always follow in a staggered formation anyway. I completely agree about the following distance, and I always make sure I maintain a 2-second space in front of me, even when staggered. However, I'm the one the other riders should be concerned about as far as experience and safety, considering I've been riding less than a year, and I have a 30-year-old bike who's side covers (ahem...) might come flying off!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

I just do my own thing. If I come up on a bike or group of bikes when I am traveling faster then they are, I continue past them if / when safe to do so. Same thing if a bike or group of bikes comes up on me, I let them pass if they decide to and go about my business. In ether case I usually nod or flag a hand as I pass or get passed to acknowledge them and it is usually returned.
                      Rob
                      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                        Would the cop care if I was following him? At least I'd be following a well-trained (I would hope) professional rider. I always follow in a staggered formation anyway. I completely agree about the following distance, and I always make sure I maintain a 2-second space in front of me, even when staggered. However, I'm the one the other riders should be concerned about as far as experience and safety, considering I've been riding less than a year, and I have a 30-year-old bike who's side covers (ahem...) might come flying off!
                        There are no set rules for falling into a line of other bikes as far as wether its alowed or accepted...people just seem to do it..or not...I passed a group of cruisers of various makes on the the slab and never once gave any thought to following...just the other day and none of them were the waving types so off I went. Once in a while I will have to fall into someone else's line. I usually stay back more than 3 seconds and also ride in a staggered pattern. If the group I am following isnt too large I will pass them when the opportunity arises...but I have also stopped off the road and waited a few minutes to allow the larger group to disperse away from me...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

The other day a group of us (3 bikes) were going into Jasper National Park, to a restaraunt for coffee, when 2 beemers slowly caught up to us.

When we got to the park gates, I was in front so i stopped, and told the attendant that the park pass (you need one for every 10 people, regardless of how many bikes) was 'on the red harley back there'.

The two beemers were probably wondering what was happening when the park attendant waved them through the gate....
                          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

On a ride in the Sierras on one of our Rallies one year, I remember our pack merging with a pack of Harley’s. We simply road through them, over several miles, and kept going. No problem! I think most riders realize that more bikes means more visibility. If they don’t they are ********s and don’t deserve worrying about.
                            Special Ed
                            Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                            I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

I recently wrote a post about a bunch of riders who i think were the Hells Angels who were behind me.I simply acknowledged their presence and turned off where i intended to.They did their thing,i did mine!
                              1980 XS1100 SG
                              Inline fuel filters
                              New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                              160 mph speedometer mod
                              Kerker Exhaust
                              xschop K & N air filter setup
                              Dynojet Recalibration kit
                              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                              1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
                              X