Alco-peds??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alco-peds??

Being new to someplace, as I am here to NC, always turns up some wonderful stuff and some wonders. One of the most .... uhhhh.... 'intriguing' phenomena here in Wilkesboro are these wildly popular, little scooter/moped thingies, affectionately referred to by many as 'liquor sickles' or 'alcopeds', nicknamed that apparently cuz no license is required to ride 'em .... so if you've lost your driving priviledges somehow, you can still get around on these units.

Not to diss anyone's mode of transpo, but I've noticed a couple of annoying things regarding these vehicles and their riders: many of them can barely make 35mph which presents a real hazard in a 45 or 55 zone with no hard shoulder to pull over onto, many don't even have mirrors so the riders have no clue of what's behind them anyway and finally the operators don't even seem to know the rules of the road. Frankly, riders like this in California or most other places, where it's dog-eat-dog on the road, would be little more than organ donors waiting to happen. There's simply not as much traffic here so they seem to survive in spite of themselves but people out here are still in a hurry, it seems . Human nature, I guess.

I give them the wave when I'm riding cuz, afterall, they look like a crotch rocket from the front at a distance to me, but they never wave back. That gets me thinking that maybe these riders don't feel like they're a part of the two-wheeled community.

Other than writing a polititian, what could be done to include these guys and/or wake 'em up to the fact that that pavement is mighty damn hard?
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

I'm surprised they don't need a license there. Here in Missouri, you at least need a regular Driver License to operate a 49cc scooter. You just don't need the M endorsement.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Let me think about this....
      They are riding the machine because they lost a DL for some reason, maybe a DUI. they have PROBABLY modified the machine so it will go a little faster, as most of them are supposed to be 25MPH MAX.
      I think you are seeing natural selection in progress. There ARE some states that put clorine in the pool now and then, if you know what I mean, Vern...
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Well ...

I actually haven't researched the licensing requirements myself, Bug, but that's what my g/f tells me. She has had some driving infractions, ehh-hem, in the distant past. Maybe some of our NC members can clarify??

think you are seeing natural selection in progress
        Yessir, Ray, Darwin has a way of sortin' 'em out, doesn't he?
        80G Mini-bagger
        VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
        79SF eventually dismantled for parts
        79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
        79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
        79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Working...
        X