Noob checking in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob checking in

Hey guys, I'm Shaftt. Just picked up what I think is an 80 XS1100 basket case with no paperwork. IF I find out that I can plate it, any suggestions as to where to start?

"Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
    "Well I think so Brain, but where are we gonna find a duck and a hose at this hour? Narf!"

80 XS1100SG

Looking at you location, I think you are in Canada. I have NO CLUE what they will want to put a new plate on the bike. It looks like a '79 or '80 Special, but if you read the engine number on the right side of the block, or the frame number on that white tag on the steering stem, the first three places will tell us what year and model for sure.
    In the US, depending on the state, it can be easy or impossible to get new tags. You will probably need a "bill of sale", and THEN do a "search" for the last owner to verify that it was NOT a stolen bike. Good luck, and keep looking at some of the pull down menus for information. I can see you WILL be needing intake and exhaust work.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Not sure about Sask, but here, I just got a buddy to 'forge' me a bill of sale, got insurance, then got a plate.

The PO gave me the previous registration part that goes with the vehicle when it is sold, but I lost it.

First thing I would look at is replacing the missing parts, then go through the checklist off the home page here, about bikes that have sat for a while.

You may want to do the usual checks on the engine first, ie; compression, etc.

You are missing lots of parts. Everything is still available, from one source or another, and this site, and ebay will become your best friends.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Where to start...hmmm...Carbs, exhaust, air side intake of some kind, battery, clutch and left side controls, throttle grip, a complete front brake lever, ...... I'd probably start with the compression check mentioned myself. Nice to know what you have in the way of an engine before you throw to much at parts from where you are starting.

Yep, I'd say ebay and you be mates for a while along with the for sale forum area here. There are a couple recent bikes being parted out in the for sale section. Probably have alot of what you need there.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Shaftt View Post
          Hey guys, I'm Shaftt. Just picked up what I think is an 80 XS1100 basket case with no paperwork. IF I find out that I can plate it, any suggestions as to where to start?
          Hi Shaftt & welcome,
          Start with SGI. Truck the bike to an SGI claims centre along with any kind of bill of sale. They will check the bike's serial number against their list of stolen vehicles. If it clears you can register the bike any time. If it don't you are in the soft & brown.
          SGI wants $54 a month to plate my XS11SG in Saskatoon.
          When you have clear title contact Andreas Weiss through the list's "parts for sale" section and send him a shopping list.
          Andreas ships parts from Osoyoos BC so no customs hassle and he is a gentleman to deal with.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            SGI wants $54 a month to plate my XS11SG in Saskatoon.
            $54 a MONTH??!! Is that EVERY month?? I paid less than half that once every 2 years to license mine here in the States!

Shaftt - Looks like you've got quite a project there! Lots of missing parts, but at least most of wht you have doesn't look too bad!
            Last edited by CatatonicBug; 06-03-2009, 09:17 AM.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
              $54 a MONTH??!! Is that EVERY month?? I paid less than half that once every 2 years to license mine here in the States!
              Hi 'Bug,
              SGI is Saskatchewan Government Insurance. It has a monopoly for providing the mandatory basic vehicle insurance.
              The $54 a month (for an 1100, smaller bikes cost less, my 250cc BSA is $18 a month) pays the plate fee and comprehensive insurance.
              And no, not every month, just the months when there's no snow on the roads.
              Winter options are either cancel the plate or switch to a less expensive "winter storage" policy.
              If you really want your eyes to go big and round, try insuring a bike in Ontario where the only good thought is "it's even worse in Quebec"
              I'd be interested to hear what other Canadian XS11 owners are paying for insurance.
              Last edited by fredintoon; 06-03-2009, 10:32 AM.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I pay about $50/yr for plates and $184/yr for insurance on the XS1100.

That's just PLPD.
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Hey thanks for all the info. First three of the vin is 3U9.

The pics don't tell the whole story here. I didn't take pics of the 2 milk crates of parts in the shed with the carbs and pipes. Figured everyone has seen what appears to be milk crates full of junk before. Even if its rilly rilly good junk. At a glance it looks like I'm missing a speedo, clutch controls, twist grip, side panels, and an ignition switch. But hey, it came with 5, Countem!, 5 mirrors! And what i believe to be a head light switch from a 70-something Ford truck. OH OH OH and a pair of trailer tail lights! YAY!

$54 a month for plates? OUTRAGEOUS! Why, thats over half of what I paid for the thing!
                  "Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
                  "Well I think so Brain, but where are we gonna find a duck and a hose at this hour? Narf!"

80 XS1100SG

Comment

Welcome to XS11.
                    Its good you have the carbs and exhaust.Those two items can put a big dent in your wallet.
                    JAT-maybe you can find a cheap parts bike.It might be less expensive than buying all the parts you need separate.
                    Once you get it running you will be happy with the power.
                    Rick
                    80 SG XS1100
                    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by Shaftt View Post
                      First three of the vin is 3U9.
                      That makes it the Canadian version of the 1980 XS1100SG (special).

Glad to hear you have those parts. It will make the job of getting it on the road a lot easier.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

I pay about the same annually for plates as Crazcnuk (as he is only a few hours away in the same province) but "only" pay 156/yr for PLPD insurance
                        K. Johnson
                        -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
                        triple clean and boots
                        -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
                        replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
                        -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
                        $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

In Can'taffordya, I paid $116 for tags, and about $300 for PDPL for TWO motorcycles. That is WITH unlimited mileage!
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Great....now I'll have the theme from "Shaft" playing in my head the rest of the day.

"Who's the cat that won't cop out
                            When there's danger all about?
                            SHAFT!
                            Right On!"

Welcome to the board.

Don
                            currently own;
                            1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                            2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Working...
                            X