JC Whitney PROGRESSIVE rear shocks - Things to know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JC Whitney PROGRESSIVE rear shocks - Things to know

I've found that I need new rear shocks form my Special, so I decided to give JC Whitney a shot since they are relatively cheap. I looked thru the stuff that they had and came up with THIS with the chrome springs. By reading the description, you get the springs and the shocks.

They arrived today, and I'll be damned. it's just the springs. I called em up and they say "The picture is just a representation, not what you're actually getting" I've never seen "Gas charged for superior, fade-free damping" or "Velocity-sensitive valving" in a shock spring Anyway, I had to pony up another $200 for the SHOCKS themselves. The discriminating buyer will note that the photos and description are almost identical.

Bottom line is, if you want to order the shocks for the rear, be aware that they can come separate. I thought $69 was to damn good a price for progressive rears I guess I'll have to ride mellow another week or two.
    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
    '07 FJR1300

That's why I usually get my parts from Road Rider in San Jose. They had a "closeout" on a 13.5" shocks AND springs for $118! And yes, they ARE progressive brand. As I try to tell everyone who is looking online, be sure to READ the fine print.
    The GOOD news is you will have a GREAT ride once everything is on!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I can remember about 1970 or so my dad ordered some rubber molding for the rear window of his 1955 1/2 ton pu. They didn't have any in stock. They sent the molding that went along the bottom of the window opening in the door that kept the window from rubbing when the glass came out of the door while being rolled up. Wouldn't give him his money back either.. Not even close.. didn't matter to them..

I just got done throwing it out. Dad wouldn't throw it away. Said he wanted it to remind him if he ever got the urge to order again.

Beware JCW.
      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

You know, there is usually a reason a company has been through bankruptcy (as JCW has been). I would not order anything from them that you can get from somewhere else and ALWAYS use an actual credit card, then if they don't give you the correct product and refuse a refund you can force a chargeback.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I'm thinking this is going to be my last purchase from JCW. If they can't even get the description of the item correct, how am I assured the item will be the right item?
          Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
          '07 FJR1300

Comment

To play Devil's advocate

I have only ordered from JCW three times, and each time it was a Nat'l Cycles Plexifairing windshield. Each time I got exactly what I ordered, and it was shipped in no time. They had the best price of anybody. Maybe the windshield was shipped directly from the manufacturer to me? That would explain the lack of a screw-up.
            On the other hand, I ordered a set of Mac 4-2 pipes from Dennis Kirk, back in March for Wildkat's b'day, only to find out that they had been on back-order, and they wouldn't be shipped from Mac until May 29. Well in the mean time, I sorta fell into a sweet deal with Bowtied (Thanks Josh) with a trade of my old Mac 4-2 turnout tip pipes for what turned out to be a sweet set of stock Special pipes.
            As of the 29th the pipes had not been shipped, so on the first of June I cancelled the order, and the 'new' stock pipes will be going on her bike.

Comment

Working...
            X