I got screwed...now my tire is flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got screwed...now my tire is flat

Hey guys, got a flat last night, pulled the screw out this morning. Its in the rear, tube type rim, do I need to patch the hole in the tire or just change the tube out for one that will hold air? I've seen the "stinger" type patches recommended when I did a search but I can't seem to find a source for them, any one know where to get one? Last I found some patches at harbor freight but they say for radial tires, does it make a difference and if so where does one get a patch for bias ply tires?
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

The following is JMHO:
    I don't think you NEED to patch the tire, unless the screw tore a large hole in it. If it makes you feel better, just get some of the glue they use for patches and use a nail to coat the inside of the screw hole. That should keep almost everything out, and if you smear it on the inside around the hole, it will seal up the rubber "skin" that is inside ALL tubeless tires. That should help keep the tire together for the next few thousand miles. Like 10 or 15K
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Most shops around here will NOT repair a motorcycle tire, tube or tubeless. It does make some sense to me, once the threads have been cut/broken in the tire body, it's never quite the same, and with only two tires, it's not a chance I'm all that willing to take. I did find with my XS400 when I got a flat on it, one shop that would re-use the tire since it was a clean puncture but insisted on putting a new tube in. Of course then it took forever to order the tube, then their mechanic was out sick for days, so I had them put some air in the tire, went to autozone and got some slime. The tire is still holding air just fine even know, and it's been well over 8 months (of course I have to top it off like normal, but even the seapage is slower with the slime in it).
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I go with the conservative side on this one due to past experience. Once replaced a tube, later on the tire blew again. Problem was that the puncture had caused a bit of a rough spot on the inside of the tire, rubbed on the tube and eventually caused a flat.

If you were going to replace the tube I would also patch the inside of the tire or be very sure there are no rough edges around the puncture.

If you decide to use Slime, be aware they make different versions for tubes and tires. I don't care for the stuff, but it is popular. Slime can seal small leaks, but "Note: SLiME is not guaranteed to repair punctures caused by gashes from glass or metal or on punctures greater than 1/8” (3mm)." So if you run over a screw or nail that is more than 1/8 inch in diameter Slime may not help you.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
        X