unhappiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unhappiness

well riding season has just started at least for everyone else it has. for me its on hold got to do a cam lifter adjustment. i have been looking at the shops around here to do it but one says sept before they can get it and no reply from the local harley shop. its been a battle on this bike got it the way i want itand now got to do more. i have ordered the tool for it and a new valve cover gasket. i am also looking in to buying a whole new exhaust system.
    1980 xs1100 sg.

Sorry to hear of your frustration. Those things really can get you down. These bikes are not usually at the top of the importance list for mechanics' shops, since the bikes are older than many of the techs! Just look at it with the idea that you'll learn a lot more doing it yourself, and have a lot more satisfaction about your ride, and how well it runs once it's done. Plenty of folks here to guide you along the way too.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I don't know where in Kansas you are... but there are several VERY qualified members up that way that would probably be more than willing to help for the price of some food and a few beers...
      No need to pay the high cost at a dealership... especially a harley shop... Our bikes are a whole different breed than what most of them are accustomed to working on...
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

You don't have to wait for the tool, either, you can loosen the cams to get the shims out.

And, Kat, don't you have the 'shim library'?

Comment

Yep... surely do have the library (see this thread I updated it yesterday, in fact) and there are a couple of posts around here that can tell you how to do this without the tool if you need some reference points...

thanks Randy... I haven't had my coffee yet... lol
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Well, gosh darn it, woman! Slug down a mug before you hurt yourself! I'm goin for a ride.

Comment

If your not riding till you get the job done, then you won't do any harm pulling the valve cover now. You may find the gasket stays in one piece and you won't need a new one. Then you can check your clearances and see which need new shims.

Trbig did a great writeup on the process to loosen the cams and change shims. At the very least, you could get out your old shims and know what sizes you need to replace with. I found the chart in the manual VERY helpful.

Then you can exchange shims with the library or if your as lucky, I found a local bike shop that had the shims and sold me what I needed for $2 a shim. If you do the mail exchange with Kat, you could have your new shims in by the time your gasket arrives!
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by devilschld View Post
                well riding season has just started at least for everyone else it has. for me its on hold got to do a cam lifter adjustment. i have been looking at the shops around here to do it but one says sept before they can get it and no reply from the local harley shop. its been a battle on this bike got it the way i want itand now got to do more. i have ordered the tool for it and a new valve cover gasket. i am also looking in to buying a whole new exhaust system.

That was my world last year at this time. Seeing everyone out riding and enjoying their bikes, meanwhile, I was elbow deep in my XS1100SG trying to get it going, including putting on a new exhaust. I finally had it ready to ride around mid-June.

Good luck with yours.

Don
                currently own;
                1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Where are you? I live in Hutch and have a few shims, and can help you with it, if need be.
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

well all i may be back in business in about 3 weeks. i got a call back from a person who i was waiting on. he said he would do the vales for me and i even ordered a whole new exhaust system. it is going to be all good when done. this is not like the standard exhaust sytem that it came out with it is a mac 4 in 2 with turnout exhaust. ty all for the offers. ivan u will be seeing me real soon i hope.as i have vacation at the end of the month i am hoping its done to run off on vacation. my daughter was really sad when i left the bike there yesterday. well i will sign off for now to sleep got another 12hr night tonight. will post new pictures later on. maybe even a new video.
                    1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                      Where are you? I live in Hutch and have a few shims, and can help you with it, if need be.
                      Notice I said help you with it. You will get your hands dirty....
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

this is not like the standard exhaust sytem that it came out with it is a mac 4 in 2 with turnout exhaust.
                        You say that like you're thinking the Mac exhaust is going to be better than a stock exhaust. Sorry to burst your bubble... but the original is a better system if you can find one in good shape.

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                          You say that like you're thinking the Mac exhaust is going to be better than a stock exhaust.
                          I think he was just warning us that he will be asking about adjustments and tuning issues once the new system is installed.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

Shims

Hey kat i have about 22 Shims here il get ya the numbers i have alot of extra stuff should eb able to help out with some sizes you dont have listed.
                            john
                            79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                            80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
                            06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                            2000 Concours
                            84 Kawi KLR600
                            79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
                            79 XR250
                            Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
                            John

Comment

Working...
                            X