Dragging brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragging brakes?

So after a long day one of 167 days into my project I was ready for my Maiden Voyage, but much to my dismay it feels like my brakes are dragging. It feels like the front, I've re-built both master cylinders, and don't want to do the calipers, it has sat for 4 years what are the odds that they'll free up? Or am I doomed to caliper re-building.
    "Shop"
    Click Here! For the latest XS11 bobber update. shopschops.blogspot.com

Calipers are probably gunked up.You can disassemble completely clean the calipers inside and out and scrape the crud off the o-ring and the groove inside the caliper in about an hour,maybe two.Usually you wont even need parts.They just gum up from sitting.
    If you plan on riding any distance you want those working right.Sometimes when they are like that they can totally freeze up.I had to drag one out of the middle of the street and do this procedure on the side of the rode.
    Save yourself some grief and just take em apart.You will be amazed after words,like why did I think that was so hard.

Rick
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Did you replace the brake lines?
      Been told that old lines disntigrate internally and the little pieces of rubber will plug the fluid return hole in the master cylinder, also known as the spooge hole.

No fliud return = dragging brakes.

Rodger
      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Rick, and Rodger
        Like always my faith in this forum is renewed each time I need help. I had just posted that thread and I was gasping at re-build kits wondering if I even needed to re-build and you answered my question instantly! Thanks I will do that tomorrow. And I also didn't replace the lines where is a good place to pick some up?
        "Shop"

Comment

Do a search for Stainless brake lines. There have been some very recent posts.
          There are a couple of shops advertizing on e-bay right now. I contacted one of them about just sending my old lines to him so he could match the angles of not only the end but lining up the ends for a nice fit. His response was "Sure".
          I will dig for a bit and post his shop name.

Everything on hold...

Comment

This is the seller I contacted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

Might try this as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAH...1%7C240%3A1318

I had mine built in So CAl before I found this seller and haven't bought from him yet...

Rodger
            Last edited by latexeses; 05-28-2009, 04:14 PM.

Everything on hold...

Comment

Channel 11 saves the day again! I cleaned out my calipers and it rolls free! Then I had a carb issue that seemed like the float needle was bypassing fuel, but it ended up my #1carburator float was not floating anymore. So I soldered the small crack and its good as new. Went on the "Maiden Voyage" and well to say the least it's fast and scary, just the way I like it. Thanks to all you guys! Thanks again! I took tons of pics that I'll be posting on my Bobber page later tonight so if you are reading this post after the 28th of May it will be located at the link below. probably under the title of "Dragging Brakes, and Sinking Floats"
              "Shop"

Comment

Well if anybody wants a visual description of what solved my "Dragging Brakes" check it out "Here!" or at this one http://shopschops.blogspot.com/2009/...ng-floats.html
                "Shop"

Comment

Working...
                X