just got my first bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got my first bike

hello names Tony and i just got my first bike and yes it is a xs1100 here are some pics of it

so here is the story obout this i was looking on craigslist and say a posting on this bike and it is a 1979 1100 and it was for free so i e-mail the poster and not ever 15 min he called me and i told him that i will be right there to come and get her. so me and the boy got the trailer and went to go get her and when i was on my way i was thinking it better not be a pos like the last one i went and looked at so i got there and there she was sitting there with 10 years of dust on it and there was only 2 parts missing from her but the guy even had them sitting in a box so i say there and talked with him for a little and he told me that the only reason it had say there that long was he thought he was going to fix it up some day and ride it but then he got anther bike so it just sat there well then i went and got it. so here is the only things rong that he told me other then it sitting for 10 years that the carburetors need cleaning and i have only done Honda ones so are they hard to do on this bike and i do need some new tires but that will wait till next year when i am done fixing it this winter unless the carbs are easy to clean well there is a little story about how i got my first bike and one more thing i just got it to day i don't know if i said that or not
    Last edited by chevy_338; 05-27-2009, 01:14 AM.
    1980 xs 11 special

The motor vehicle action sequences depicted in this film are dangerous. All stunts were performed in controlled environments with professionally trained stunt crews on closed roads. No attempts should be made to duplicate any action,driving or car play scenes herein portrayed.

Nice find!

The carbs are easier on these than the Honda. No extra air valves or any of that. You can get 4 carb kits for the XS for the price of one for the Honda.

There is a list, off the home page here, that gives you a list of things to check on an XS that has sat for a long time.

That is not a '79, though, it's an '80. The '79 didn't come with slotted brake rotors or the aluminum grab rail. The tailight is different as well.

Looks like your just missing the sidecovers, clutch adjuster cover and rear footpegs?
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I am SO living in the wrong area for finding good bike deals

NICE find!
      Wow!

Welcome aboard!
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

This is about all we get in my neck of the woods for FREE.
        My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

So how the heck am I ever going to sell my 81 XS1100SH if there are people out there giving them away for free???

I would think you would be able to be riding that down the highway within a few weeks, nevermind this "next year" crap.

Don
          currently own;
          1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
          2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Gee Don...

Originally posted by DJinNH View Post
            nevermind this "next year" crap
            If you go to that link in mstic's posting... you can get this year's crap... for free...

(okay... I found it amusing... now back to our regularly scheduled post)
            81 SH Something Special
            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
            80 LG Black Magic
            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
            For those on FB

Comment

That is a GREAT find! That's a darn good lookin bike for FREE! It's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time, I guess.
              My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Welcoome,
                Man and I thought $400 was a bargain.Welcome and if this is really your first
                bike,please sign up for a motorcycle safety course.It will save your life.
                Rick
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

WOW!! Simply amazing!! That is a beautiful bike! Like Craz said, you're only missing a few parts (need a right side mirror too), and they should all be available after a quick look around on this forum or on e-bay. Get a set of tires, flush the brake system, clean the carbs, and change the oils. You'll be riding that thing in a week or two! If you don't already have one, the manual is available from the link in my signature.

Man.... Even the headers are shiny!!
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

CBug...

The really unbelievable thing may be if he has those parts! I went back and re-read his post and it says the PO had the missing parts in a box!
                    Sweet Special, Chevy...Extremely nice find!
                    And yes, by all means, if this is your first, please take the safety course!
                    When you get 'er goin, you'll soon find out these are big bikes, both in power and weight! They can get away from you if you're not used to them.
                    And I hear ya Kat...(I mean Murph), we are definitely livin' in the wrong area! Can't hardly find any of these things around here in the first place, and in the second, the PO's are too "educated" when it comes to price...
                    Best of luck to ya, Chevy. Ride Safe.
                    Regards,
                    Bob
                    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I am not sure if I want to congratulate you or cry. I must live in the same area as Kat cause they do NOT give ANYTHING away here. Even that horse stuff would fetch a price around here.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by chevy_338 View Post
                        hello names Tony and i just got my first bike and yes it is a xs1100
                        so here is the story obout this i was looking on craigslist and say a posting on this bike and it is a 1979 1100 and it was for free - - -

Hi Tony,
                        I am sending this in green because I am seething with envy. I paid a grand for mine in far worse shape.
                        Cleaning the carbs is easy, getting them free of the airbox is a right swine. Remove the bottom half with the two wing bolts. Just 3 screws retain the top half. Do NOT dismantle the top half, it's eff nigh impossible to put back together.
                        And please take a rider's course.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                          The really unbelievable thing may be if he has those parts! I went back and re-read his post and it says the PO had the missing parts in a box!
                          Sweet Special, Chevy...Extremely nice find!
                          And yes, by all means, if this is your first, please take the safety course!
                          When you get 'er goin, you'll soon find out these are big bikes, both in power and weight! They can get away from you if you're not used to them.
                          And I hear ya Kat...(I mean Murph), we are definitely livin' in the wrong area! Can't hardly find any of these things around here in the first place, and in the second, the PO's are too "educated" when it comes to price...
                          Best of luck to ya, Chevy. Ride Safe.
                          Regards,
                          Bob
                          yes i have the covers and the clutch cover to there in the box
                          1980 xs 11 special

The motor vehicle action sequences depicted in this film are dangerous. All stunts were performed in controlled environments with professionally trained stunt crews on closed roads. No attempts should be made to duplicate any action,driving or car play scenes herein portrayed.

Comment

and yes this is my first bike but i have been riding for some years now but just off and on for them years. i was a tow truck driver and you need to know how to ride them so you can tow them. but i am going to go though the safety school so i can learn how to ride it better. and about getting this thing on the road i all most had my nuts ripped off when the wife got home so i have to let this calm down here a little be for i start on anything and i have my other project that needs to get done here be for i start anther one. i will post a pic of that here to just so you can see her but other than that thanks for the welcomes and i hope this site will help me out with this bike and here is the pic of my mistress

1980 xs 11 special

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                              WOW!! Simply amazing!! That is a beautiful bike! Like Craz said, you're only missing a few parts (need a right side mirror too), and they should all be available after a quick look around on this forum or on e-bay. Get a set of tires, flush the brake system, clean the carbs, and change the oils. You'll be riding that thing in a week or two! If you don't already have one, the manual is available from the link in my signature.

Man.... Even the headers are shiny!!
                              and thanks for the manual that is going to help a lot
                              1980 xs 11 special

Comment

Working...
                              X