Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help..Leak in cam chain tension adjustment

Hey folks

Need your help on 2 things. First I have a small but extremely annoying oil leak seeping out of the cam chain tension adjustment. The leak is coming from the center of the unit where there is a spring retainer clip helding the
    tensioner in place. It is not coming from the adjustment screw or the lock nut or the 2 hex bolts holding it in place, but directly from the center of the unit.
    Need to know what causes it and how to stop it. Any suggestions
    Secondly I need a 78/79 XS 1100 Special Speedo that registers 160 mph can you help me find one. Thanks Joe

There's a plug that's supposed to go in there. Yamaha sells them, or you could clean it out real good and put some RTV in there. That'll work just fine.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I just went through this myself. Make sure your tensioner is adjusted and the bolt is tight to specs and holding the plunger b/4 you replace the plug. Otherwise it will be gone in short order and you will be buying another. My Tensioner had stripped out. The bolt felt snug, but was not holding the plunger. I ended up putting a heli-coil in to solve the problem. Installed the second plug and it has been in there ever since - leak stopped.

Deny
      1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
      1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Originally posted by shadowvts View Post
        Secondly I need a 78/79 XS 1100 Special Speedo that registers 160 mph can you help me find one.
        Joe, There is one on ebay right now. Item # 370195045482.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Hi Shadow
          I just fixed my little leak at the cam chain tensioner
          It had been leaking for years right off the front of the tensioner and only when I rode it
          Nothing big just a drop or two or three after every ride and probably a couple during
          So to make a short story long about a couple of months ago I decided to add
          Tc's Spin On Oil Filter Adapter or S.O.F.A and on the parts to get list is high temp copper RTV
          Now I remembered on a previous post someone had said that they had fixed their leaky adjuster using the RTV
          So while spraying down the underside of the bike with carb cleaner to remove
          any oil residue where the new adapter is to be placed I hit the tensioner a couple of times where I thought the oil was seeping out
          Then while RTVing the adapter I applied with my finger a small amount to the tensioner paying attention to the round groove at the front of the tensioner
          And I'm happy to say not a drop of oil has leaked out of the tensioner since
          Good luck
          Gary
          Gary
          1100SH The Chosen one

Honda XR650L The Muddy one

Comment

Have a similar problem. The front of my bike looks like a freakin' 1930's Harley. I took a dab of high temp "QuickSteel" putty and stuck it in there... after cleaning it with some solvent, of course. Will find out next week if this is causing any problems with the tension adjustment.
            Special Ed
            Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
            I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

One important note.

Take great care tightening the pinch bolt out of the side of the tensioner. The spec is only something like 4.5 lb/ft (not exactly sure) which is barely hand tight. The threads strip out very easily which will cause you a whole new set of problems.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

i just fixed mine

i used jb weld took it off cleaned it real good, filed it to clean metal. mixed up a gob of the stuff and turned it up on the plunger and put all i could heap up on it. let it sit a couple days and put it back on. thats all they are to it.
                79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

Or, at the risk of starting something, you could make one of these.

Easy to make, stays set and doese'nt leak. Only drawback is that it is not 'automatic' and is best adjusted for chain stretch with the valve cover off. I adjust mine so there is about 1/4" of slack in the chain between the two cam sprockets.

The plunger on the OEM adjuster in the picture was sliding back in slightly due to chain whip when closing throttle quickly after a rambunctious acceleration. The manual adjuster completely solved all my tensioner problems.

Mike Giroir
                  79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

One of the great things about this forum is you find there are several ways to address a problem. My point was don't just plug the hole and walk away from it as you may have another problem to address. Good Luck!

Deny
                    1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                    1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Working...
                    X