trying to find brake/clutch levers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to find brake/clutch levers

Hey guys, I was at a bike show a few months ago and saw several customs with really neat levers. Instead of mounting towards the center of the bars and the levers stick out to the sides these mounted into the ends of the bars and then wrapped around in front of the bars. Made the bars look a little like a set of horns and hid all the cables really nicely. I've been looking online to see what kind of prices these things run but I don't know what they might be called or where to find them. Wondering if anyone has seen anything like them or knows who makes them.

To give a little better idea I found some for "bicycles" and I'll link to that,
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...p?category=615

Maybe the custom guys used modified bicycle parts?
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

I just can't picture the mechanics of the brakes, when using a bar-end lever. How would you work the front MC from that angle? With the clutch cable, I guess it would be the same as a bicycle, since it's just a cable.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

On the customs I saw they had cable operated front brakes so no master cylinder. For a "regular" bike I was kind of thinking of moving the master cylinder down into the frame somewhere and then using the cable to actuate it.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Back to the future?

Or perhaps it should be "Forward to the past"?
        Up to the 1920s most bikes had "backwards" levers. They worked real easy to run cables inside the bars and out of sight. The first disk brake BMWs had the master cylinder and fluid reservoir hidden under the gas tank, worked by a short cable from the lever. No reason that wouldn't work with a backwards lever.
        I have also seen no-cable twistgrips that had an optical comparator in the grip wired to a smart solenoid on the carb. And yeah, you are right, it WAS designed by university students.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

well I finally found my pictures from that show and was able to make out the name of the builders that had those levers. You can see them here....http://www.cookcustomchoppers.com/parts.htm not worth the price their asking in my opinion.
          1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
          X