Tail of the Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail of the Dragon

318 curves in 11 miles! Anyone have any experience with this route, US-129 in North Carolina?
    Last edited by Montreux_Blue; 05-24-2009, 10:11 AM.
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Been close to it, but not with my bike. I believe TC has ridden the tail, it's on my list of things to do.....someday. have a nice day and ride safe
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Yep, I just got back from there 'bout 3 weeks ago. That road is awesome. I "slayed" the dragon on a weekday when it wasn't too crowded, because the Hardleys will slow you down with no place to pass . I mounted a video camera to the front and the rear of my Special and took a few video clips which I'll post later. I have a pic of the tree of shame in my photo link in my signature.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I've never been there, but lots of guys i know local have been there.

I wouldn't mind riding it!
        '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Tail of the Dragon on a '79 Special, May 2009......

2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

It's a required pilgrimage for all motorcycle enthusiasts. Just be prepared to obey the law to the letter. State and county authorities have taken control of the road. I guess there were too many accidents and "Ricky Racers" for the public to tolerate. You'll find the enforcement in Tennessee.

If you go, be sure to ride NC 28 known as "The Hellbender". You can enjoy a spirited ride on that from Deals Gap across Georgia and into South Carolina. If you go down there, Don't miss it! It will more that make up for the crap you endured on 129 where the speed limit is a strictly enforced 30 mph.

I'm up there about six times every season!
            Last edited by jetmechmarty; 05-24-2009, 11:39 AM. Reason: omission
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              I "slayed" the dragon on a weekday when it wasn't too crowded, because the Hardleys will slow you down with no place to pass .
              I saw some cops in the video and it looked pretty crowded where you started at. I guess I would have to go there sometime in the winter where it weeded out all the trailer queens, crotch rockets and Hardleys.

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

Hellbender

If you watched the video, had he turned right out of the parking lot and immediately turned right again, he would have been on NC 28.

In the video, did you notice to police cruiser shortly after crossing the state line?
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                  did you notice to police cruiser shortly after crossing the state line?
                  It looked like an suv cop and crown vic cop.

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

You'll most always get a warning from oncoming bikers that the police are up ahead. They signal you by tapping on the top of their helmet. You can see it in the video if you look closely. Yes, route 28 is a very nice ride also.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

Helmet? what helmet???
                      '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Hey Phil,

Great video clip. Yeah, it's been the point of interest for the folks at the Fall Suches rallies for several years now. There are a few professional photographers that sit at certain points and shoot shots of folks all day long during the weekends. Then folks can go to their websites, and search the day/time and locate their photos for purchase. Here are a few of me on Godzilla a few years, paint job, forward controls ago. It was rather chilly in Mid Oct. when we were there, hence the homemade DuctTape Duckhands.

I did scrape a centerstand and my muffler on a few of the turns!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I hit many twisties in NC in the early 80's with my 79 RD 400.Had a friend that had a 79 xs 11 special.That's what hooked me on these bikes.Worth while to ride these roads.Watch out for the NC smokies they mean business.At least they did back then.Terry
                          1980 special (Phyllis)
                          1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

simply awesome!

A few buddies and I rode down there about 5 years ago. We stayed at the Ironhorse MC campground. Great people, good food, comfy acommodations; I'd recommend them any day. That road is nothing short of fan-friggin-tastic... a must-ride for anyone. With that many people though, you need to be extra alert, and you also need to know your limitations. We came across a zip-splat that didn't quite make one curve (on the Cherohalla Skyway). Rider only had a broken ankle, but his bike was done, I'd even say well done. ...Charred to a crisp, is more like it. When the tank blew, it was quite a fireball. tailofthedragon.com had a picture my buddy took for a while. I've posted it on here before, so you may be able to find that old thread...

Lots of fun, but keep a good head on your shoulders when you ride.
                            -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                            '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                            ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Is that ol' Brent behind you in the 2nd pic, TC? I have never seen him ride his XS.. always that red Harley. I kept hearing that he owned one.. just never seen it! lol.

Watching the video... I don't see that that tail of the dragon has anything on Arkansas' Pig Trail. Two plusses for the Pig Trail.. are that it's longer and you don't see the cops on it. A third plus... not as busy.

AND.. you can apparently unkowingly outrun the one cop you DO see...lol

Tod
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own