sears cordless drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
    , so he would hand me this huge, heavy brace and I'd lean my chest on it while trying to turn the thing. Fun as a kid, but I can't imagine doing that all day long now...
    I started my apprenticeship with one, turning houses into swiss cheese for pre-wiring before the wall linings went on. Couldn't imagine using one now though. Not sure if we get smarter with age or lazier.

Imagine asking a kid these days to use one, or a twist drill. Could be a good way to keep an apprentice occupied for a few weeks. Give him a twist drill and a brake disc
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

don't know about the 18 v but i bought the big 19.5 one from sears in 04 and the batteries last forever... only problem is the chuck slips like hell all the time. it won't hold hardly at all. other than that it's great!
      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

Best tool I have ever owned is a "Yankee" screwdriver. That is what I have always called them, not sure if it is the official name. But it works on a push action by extending a worm drive type of shaft. No electric required but saves your wrist and arms ALOT of work!!
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

That type would never last in a modern shop.I had to drill 82 holes on a wood platform I made for my work and cordless is the way to go.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          xschop K & N air filter setup
          Dynojet Recalibration kit
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

No doubt cordless is nicer, but the batteries always die just when you need it most.

I had a job doing building maintenance for P&G summers when I was in college. As the college kid, I always got to go put the shelving up in the labs which means putting those slotted standards up into the drywall with expanding drywall anchors. Lots of turns to get those dang things tightened up. The great part is the phillips tip is the right size to make the hole in the drywall for the anchor to go into, the end of it substitutes as a hammer to drive the points into the drywall and then clean the tip and start pumping it. I hung ALOT of shelving with one of those. Of course Dad was my boss, it took him three days to let me use the Yankee instead of a normal Stanley Phillips. My right forearm looked like Popeye!
            Last edited by DGXSER; 05-22-2009, 08:50 PM.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Biggest problem with the 18 volt is its heavy and awkward but i don't have $220.00 or more to spend on a Dewalt or a Makita!
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              xschop K & N air filter setup
              Dynojet Recalibration kit
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
                Biggest problem with the 18 volt is its heavy and awkward but i don't have $220.00 or more to spend on a Dewalt or a Makita!
                That's why I went with the lithium-ion. It's still an 18v, but lots lighter.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Never had good luck with Craftsman electronics. Not a big Ryobi fan either, but my dad has a 18volt Lithium Ryobi and I was quite impressed with the way it has held up and how long the batties lasted.
                  Yamaniac
                  '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
                  '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
                  '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
                  '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
                  '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

Try one of these!

I actually used it earlier this month. I didn't use my cordless enough and killed the batteries. I needed to drill into my dock, and was worried about mixing water and electricity (I have been known to drop things ) So I used this bad boy! Worked great
                    Dave
                    1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
                      Just bought a Dewalt this past weekend for $129 on sale at Homo Depot. It is their low-end 18 volt drill. Comes with 2 NiCad batteries.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=8780

I replaced a fence over the long weekend and this bad boy screwed all day long for 3 straight days and had no problems. It didn't even have any problems screwing in 3 inch screws without drilling a pilot hole in pressure-treated wood. My old 14.4 volt gun couldn't do that.
                      Last edited by 65oldsboy; 05-28-2009, 12:22 AM.
                      79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
                      79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
                      79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

I've had an inexpensive Black & Decker cordless drill/driver for a couple of years. It seems that everytime I wanted to use it, it was either dead or low on power. I went out and bought a unit with a power cord. I have two extension cords of 100 and 50 feet respectively. If the job is further away than that, it's not my job.

Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by REFFI View Post
                          I've had an inexpensive Black & Decker cordless drill/driver for a couple of years. It seems that everytime I wanted to use it, it was either dead or low on power. I went out and bought a unit with a power cord. I have two extension cords of 100 and 50 feet respectively. If the job is further away than that, it's not my job.

Ralph
                          I like that! There are definitely jobs for corded drills. They tend to have a bit more uumph when you need it. However, the idea of carying a cord along with me to a neighbor's basement to hang drywall or something kinda kills the benefits. The convenience of cordless is definitely beneficial in some cases. I just took my Ridgid cordless to the local repair center and dropped it off for warranty repairs. The batteries are lifetime garanteed. And after 1.5 days, they called me back, and it's ready to be picked up with new batteries, free of charge.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

One of those Batteries Plus stores may be able to put new batteries in you pack for you...if one of those stores is still around...

My Craftsman drills are both kaput due to batteries, but they do have screws to take them apart. Inside are regular C or D size ni-cads.
                            Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
                            '09 Buell Ulysses
                            '01 HD softail std - crunched

Comment

Working...
                            X