Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion

Hi all ok I need peoples input on what I should be asking for my XJ 11 most of you have seen this bike and know the work that I put in it and I know it’s a 82 but tell me what you think

Thanks Jim

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...all2008017.jpg

Sorry Jughead she's to pretty to sell.I can't let you do it! But if you must I feel your pain.There is a similar bike on cycle trader with turbo asking 3500 I think.I can't see your bike being worth much less than that. Terry
    1980 special (Phyllis)
    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

After seeing many of these sell.. you may not want to hear it after TW's statement, but these are old bikes.. no matter how shiney.. and usually bring 1200-1500 for one in good running order. There are exceptioons though and this is a good time to be selling one, so maybe you'll get a good price.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hi Jim,
        let's say you luck out and get as much as two grand for it. How far will 2 grand take you these days anyway?
        You've got more than two grand invested in that bike in sweat equity alone, never mind the money you've paid out.
        Unless you are f**king desperate, keep the thing.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

There is an XJ at the local parts place missing a side cover, the rear MC (I have that now) and a few other pieces, and they are asking $1200 for it. I can't see them getting that much for it, but that's what the tag says. HTH
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=120424104872

While checking ebay, I noticed you have relisted the bike. If only you were closer and I had any money.....
            79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
            79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
            79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

http://allentown.craigslist.org/mcy/1166611086.html

Saw this one on CL. Less miles than yours. Wants $4k for it.
              79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
              79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
              79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

Long Winded Response

A lot of things go into establishing a value for a moyorcycle. Ultimately it is decided by finding a buyer who values the motorcycle close to what you value it at. And that takes time and patience to find him. If you have to sell something quickly all you can hope for is best offer. Which is usually a steal for the buyer at your expense.
                IF it were my bike, and I could wait to find the right buyer I would not let the bike go for under $3500.00cdn. Any certified bike around here will sell for $1500.00, Yours is exceptional and the cult status of these bikes increases your chances of selling the bike.-To the right person.
                No one who restores a bike gets out of it what they have into it, but someone who knows that is far more likely to accept that they are saving money by buying a restored one. This bike will not depreciate any more than it already has. In fact it's probably worth more now than it was new.
                The buyer you are looking for is probably 35-55 yrs. old. Has a background in motorcycling but dosen't have one now. Wants a dependable weekend bike that looks and runs nice. His wife grudgingly accepts the purchase and has determined a price limit. He will also have to trust you before he buys. He has the cash to do it.
                If you can wait you will get your price and the bike will get a good home. Rick
                I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Value of a bike is in the eye of the guy that wants it. A restored older bike like that should go for $3500. It's worth about $1500.
                  I want it.
                  79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                  80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                  80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                  79 DT 100

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Funk View Post
                    The buyer you are looking for is probably 35-55 yrs. old. Has a background in motorcycling but dosen't have one now. Wants a dependable weekend bike that looks and runs nice. His wife grudgingly accepts the purchase and has determined a price limit. He will also have to trust you before he buys. He has the cash to do it.
                    Damn Funk, you nailed me to a tee. You stalking me?
                    Mike C
                    Lake Orion, Michigan
                    '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

Msybe yes, maybe no, but....

Originally posted by Fix View Post
                      Damn Funk, you nailed me to a tee. You stalking me?
                      I saw that $3500cdn ($2800.usd) you put in your pocket. Send it on up to jughead. Best money you ever spent. Take care of the bike it will last you for life. Rick
                      I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Hey Jim;

Whatever happened to (quote) "NO I WILL NEVER SELL MY XJ" * and, (quote) "I will aways be a XJ owner and my baby the 82 that i restored the one that rick is trying to buy LOL will wlways be in the garage ready to go whenever i want to do some leaning in the corners" * ?

* Quotations from thread: "Ok i own a v twin"

Barring that, however, as XS11Lover and Big Daddy pointed out, it's the buyer that will determine 'what it's worth' regardless of how much sweat equity, time and money you've put into it. No doubt it's one fine ride but, its age dictates its value.

"NADA Guides" puts the value of a 1982 Yamaha XJ1100 in 'Excellent condition' at $1,450.00 USD. NADA here

Do I think that yours is worth more than that... yes, but most likely in the $1800 - 2200 range, with the right buyer. However, the 'gotta have it' buyer may pay considerably more. There's only one way to find out.

Ron

1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                        1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                        1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
                        1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                        2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

well i have a 83 in the shed with 30000 km on it and a 80 special and a 79 bagger so i am far from being without a xs xj lol will restore one again this winter thats the fun of it all. Now as for these bikes sell for 1000 to 1500 LMFAOROF i would like to see anyone be able to buy a bike in the condition of mine for that much cause if we could i shoure woudnt have put the hours into mine i would have bought one all ready to go for 1000 but i guess thats why we live in a free country so people cand have big dreams.

As for my XJ if i dont get 3000 for it well it no big deal to me it looks great and always there for me to go for a ride

Jim

P.S. thats why most of these bike will be parted out also cause people will pay lots for the parts but NOTHING for a whole bike. To bad so many good bike have gotten scrapped
                          Last edited by ossjughead; 05-24-2009, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Here's a bit of competition for you... '80 XS11 Special

1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                            1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                            1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
                            1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                            2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

not even close to compair too crappy after market black exhaust all alum dull not pollished and that guy is asking 1800 USD so all you would have to do is pay 1800 for it then strip it put 50 to 100 hrs in it find a original perfect exhaust and you would have the same thing lol

Comment

Working...
                              X