Led

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Led

hey guys another tail light question. i want to go all LED's in all 4 turn lights. so what do i need to buy other then the lights. if somebody out there has done this upgrade what parts did you use to make this work? Thank you guys
    1980 xs 1100S in boxes
    Gotta Love It!
    Gill

Hi Easton,
    Youll need to buy another flasher unit,
    an electronic one, you can buy them at any auto store,
    you will also lose the self cancelling of the blinkers.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I tried LEDs and using an electronic flasher, but it didn't work for me. So I switched to aftermarket dual filament bulbs and had to use the electronic flasher to get them to flash. I just found something at cyclegear.com, I will try to give it a shot again with leds using this. Hopefully i won't be too lazy to go to the cyclegear 30 minutes away to pick them up. Btw where does this connect to?

here is the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...tem=MRX_FRU1_G

Btw where does this connect to?
      1978 XS1100E Standard
      Kerker Exhaust
      Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
      TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
      Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...highlight=leds

Here is my experience with LEDs. I have then all around on the 80G.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Hey Craz, you mentioned a HID headlight conversion in the other thread. Have you done it yet, and if so what lamp did you use?
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Yes, I put the HID in last year, and we just put one on Derwat's bike.

I used a hi/low system that uses a solonoid to switch from hi beam to low beam. It was a bit snug in the (vetter) fairing headlight bucket, and did not like the reserve lighting device, but works great otherwise.

I am not sure what brand I bought, but I got it off of Ebay.

Just make sure your buying a REAL HID and not a fake one!

'05 ST1300

Comment

Hey Easton04,

Please EDIT your profile and/or signature to include your YEAR and MODEL of your XS11, tech tips and suggestions can be very model/year specific!

Looks like you haven't looked thru the tech tips very much? I posted a few about both the turn signal and the brake light LED mods a few years ago. I'll admit that I need to update the info, I did a lot of surgery on the bike/light parts back then. Now you can accomplish the same thing with plug and play type lights/bulbs, some with separate bulb arrays connected to the plug base with wires, so you can position them better/easier within the light housing you need!

If you have an earlier model, like KORR has, although I can't remember whether it has separate left and right turn signal indicator bulbs in the dash, or if it uses just one common bulb/indicator like the 79SF, then there will be a problem due to the low current draw of the LED turn signals, and with 1 common dash light, current will bleed across that bulb to the other pair of turn signals, and you'll have 4 way flashers instead of turnsignals.

MikesXS sells a special wire connector set with diodes for just this problem that you plug into the dash light wiring.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Most of those 'equalizers' that are sold to allow use of LED lights are usually nothing more than resistors of the correct value to 'fool' your flasher into thinking it still has the regular lamps connected. If you do the math via Ohm's law (P = Esq/R) where P=54 (27W x 2), E=12v and you're trying to find R (ohms), you'll get a value of 2.666 ohms. Get a resistor of that value and connect one end to the wire coming off your flasher to the lamps and the other end to ground and you shouldn't have to change anything else. Get at least a 25w rated resistor and mount it somewhere it won't melt stuff as these can get hot.

If you're trying to save power, this won't do a thing for that, but will allow you to use led lights and keep the canceler. If you have a single indicator light on the control panel, then the diode harness from Mikes will be needed.

'78E original owner
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hey Steve,

It's not a load equalizer, it's a set of DIODES so that the current doesn't leak from the left turn signal circuit thru the 1 indicator dash light to the right turn signal circuit.

I've never condoned the use of load equalizers, like you stated, they put a big load on the circuit defeating the purpose of using LEDs to reduce the amp draw!

Well, I just searched MikesXS and NOW I can't find that special turn signal diode wire set. I found a regular harness diode, but can't find that turn signal one??
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing the theory behind selling a diode to prevent "current leaking" from a Light Emitting DIODE. A diode, even when it emits light, is a one way device so it's shouldnt be possible for current (or voltage) to leak. Do you have a wiring diagram showing how these are conected to the circuit.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

It's not leaking from the led, it's bypassing through the dash.

It is an issue on many vehicles that have 1 signal indicator that works for both sides, as opposed to systems that have 2 indicators, one for each side.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Not something I've experienced, but then I have two signal indicators..

Comment

Won't be an issue for me either when the time comes as I also have two indicators.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Korr View Post
                            I tried LEDs and using an electronic flasher, but it didn't work for me. So I switched to aftermarket dual filament bulbs and had to use the electronic flasher to get them to flash. I just found something at cyclegear.com, I will try to give it a shot again with leds using this. Hopefully i won't be too lazy to go to the cyclegear 30 minutes away to pick them up. Btw where does this connect to?

here is the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...tem=MRX_FRU1_G

Btw where does this connect to?
                            Link you posted was a SPAM site. Please be careful or you will be limited on posting.
                            Last edited by DiverRay; 08-11-2021, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X