My first horror story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first horror story.

If you look at the parts wanted portion of our forums, you will notice that I am looking for a seat for my '80SG. I am currently using the seat of my '79 std. Since I had had no luck finding a seat, I called the local dealer (i.e. fort Knox West ). They told me they could get me a seat in 2-4 weeks. I thought this was reasonable and was willing to overlook my aversion to using the dealer who feels that any bike over 5 years old without a v-twin should be sh!tcanned. Then I asked them about the cost.

THEY QUOTED ME A PRICE OF $772!!!!!

This lovely price did not include shipping.

Now while I can deal grudgingly with overpriced accessories within reason, my first reaction was to ask the sales lady if she was f'ing out of her mind. That I paid less for my entire bike than that. She told me that was "just the way it is". Then she hung up on me.

Later that evening I happend to be talking to the PO on the phone. He called me to let me know he had stumbled across more parts for the three bikes. Included in that lot was the seat for my '80. It just needs a new cover and I will be good to go to Hurst next month.

(Stepping up on my soapbox)

One would think that have 30 year old bikes would be a great advertisement to the locals about the quality of the brand. In this economy, word of mouth is critical for small businesses. I guess that my local dealer hasn't figured that out. I don't know what ticked me off more. The price or the attitude of the staff at the dealers. My guess is the latter. needless to say, I won't be dropping by anytime soon to look at a ride for SWMBO.
    Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
    1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
    1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

A letter explaining your experience and your dissatisfaction should be sent to the management of the dealership. If management doesn't hear about it, there is no way for them to improve service.

Comment

Randy Randy Randy.....

Haven't you figured out that some people don't want you to FIX the problem.. they just want you to LISTEN???

(Of course this usually only applies to women.. )

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I realize someone will probably say something about it being their right to charge whatever they want... That if someone wants it bad enough... they'll pay the price... and while that's true... that doesn't make it any better...
        DANG!

Tod?
        SMACK!

lol
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

Oem

hey lee last year weny to get a oil filter from a yama dealer $40 i told i didn't want a oil change he said that's just the filter!!!!! went in to pick yamabond $5 told him i was using it on my 11's carb boots he said wow a fellow was here yesterday wanting carb boots he told they were $80 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          wow another 11 in DA U.P. hope he finds this forum

Comment

If thats the place in south hutch on main, they are usually very friendly. Sometimes to the point of annoyance. I wouldn't pay $800 for a seat though.

You might call Cycle Station in wichita. He has LOTS of old bike parts, but it'd be a crap shoot if any of them are for the XS11.

If you want any thing else, I'd give Russ a call, since he is trying to liquidate the remaining inventory for Karla, which I figure is a worthy cause.

Pretty soon though, you'll have the standard seat back on, cause you'll want the standard tank. You'll want the big tank cause you'll soon figure out the only way you can catch up to me is when I stop for fuel.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

My dealer has pointed me towards craigs list and ebay on more than one occasion when they agreed with me that the price for something from Yamaha was robbery. They know what bikes I have and always ask how their coming along. They will do what service they can (as long as they can get parts) and when I checked on an oil filter they quoted me the yamaha price and when they saw the look on my face they did say that they could order 3rd party brands for a lot less, and would be willing to do so for me. They know if I were to buy a new bike, that treating me right with my vintage bikes (which they seem pleased that I'm doing) that I will go to them over any other yamaha dealer. When I had to get a brake and light inspection on my XS400 (long story), while they don't do them, they went out of their way to help me find someone in town who did, and offered to do it for me if I could get the forms for them.

Sometimes just treating the riders of old machines is good business.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Saddleman sells two seats that will fit our bikes. One is a double bucket and the other is a type of old style king & queen seat. They will sell the seat cover for it with or without the foam and will also sell the whole seat with the seat pan. It ain't no $700 bucks. I just got them to mail me a brochure with there stuff, I got mine redone instead, & threw out the pamplets etc. Just look them up on the net & you can pull up the 2 seats that I mentioned to take a lot at them & the prices. - Dan
                '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                Rebuilt head, valves
                TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                Tkat Fork Brace
                T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                Dyna Coils & wires
                Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                ISO grips with stelleto ends
                4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                Bridgestone Spitfires
                Tuned by Tinman905
                & a will to keep it.

Comment

Hey, Tod, i think the small print worked - WildKat didn't even see it!

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                    Hey, Tod, i think the small print worked - WildKat didn't even see it!
                    Nah, he got smacked for that one.
                    I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
                    3J6 003509
                    Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
                    Fuse Block Upgrade
                    Mike's XS Green Coils
                    Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

Nah, he got smacked for that one.
                      Does that actually work over the web?! Oh, sh**, I'm in trouble!

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                        - - - - Pretty soon though, you'll have the standard seat back on, cause you'll want the standard tank. You'll want the big tank cause you'll soon figure out the only way you can catch up to me is when I stop for fuel. - - -
                        Hi Ivan,
                        regardless of motivation, with a Standard tank fitted to a Special the Special seat will fit just fine so long as you crop 5/8" off the front of the seat pan and whack a little dent in it for the filler well drain tube connector.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I really think dealers take a class on "how to be an ass" I've had the same treatment at all the new bike shops. When I took my xs850 in to have the carbs cleaned and synced they said oh that costs alot of $$ like I couldn't pay. More or less they refused to do it.
                          One weekend I needed a set of plugs and I called 20 min before close and asked for a set of plugs and told them the size, said I'd be right over to pick them up. When I got there I found the kid behind the counter talking to his buddy on the phone, left me standing there at least 10 min. While the other guy turned out the lights and stood at the door. When he did hang up he said they were closed! Never pulled the plugs off the shelf for me.
                          When I picked up my prize xs11 with 4,000 miles it took it in to show the mechanic, that I thought liked the old xs's. This bike was a jewel for sure. So clean you could eat off it. He never looked out the door at it. He said "oh if it only has 4,000 miles on it, it must have problems"
                          The other so called top dog in vintage Yamaha parts, act like they don't want you to know what they have because you might buy them and then they wouldn't have the large pile of parts any more.
                          Three new dealers and all the same bad treatment. I've always been told to treat people with respect regardless of what you feel. They don't teach that at motorcycle school i guess.
                          The only good service I've had were the little guy, small shop, real bikers that are there because they like bikes.
                          79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                          80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                          80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                          79 DT 100

Comment

Yeah, I don't get it. If you're in business, ANY business, the only reason you're there is for the customer. It's that simple, really.

I do now about that top dog place, they screwed a couple of us last month on left bearings. Website listed $45, actual bill was $76!

Comment

Originally posted by Trainzz View Post
                              If you look at the parts wanted portion of our forums, you will notice that I am looking for a seat for my '80SG. I am currently using the seat of my '79 std. Since I had had no luck finding a seat, I called the local dealer (i.e. fort Knox West ). They told me they could get me a seat in 2-4 weeks. I thought this was reasonable and was willing to overlook my aversion to using the dealer who feels that any bike over 5 years old without a v-twin should be sh!tcanned. Then I asked them about the cost.

THEY QUOTED ME A PRICE OF $772!!!!!

This lovely price did not include shipping.

Now while I can deal grudgingly with overpriced accessories within reason, my first reaction was to ask the sales lady if she was f'ing out of her mind. That I paid less for my entire bike than that. She told me that was "just the way it is". Then she hung up on me.

Later that evening I happend to be talking to the PO on the phone. He called me to let me know he had stumbled across more parts for the three bikes. Included in that lot was the seat for my '80. It just needs a new cover and I will be good to go to Hurst next month.

(Stepping up on my soapbox)

One would think that have 30 year old bikes would be a great advertisement to the locals about the quality of the brand. In this economy, word of mouth is critical for small businesses. I guess that my local dealer hasn't figured that out. I don't know what ticked me off more. The price or the attitude of the staff at the dealers. My guess is the latter. needless to say, I won't be dropping by anytime soon to look at a ride for SWMBO.
                              Hell, if you buy your seat cover from B & H Specialties, located here in Hurst, then you could save postage, and pick it up and put it on here. They make a very nice seat cover.

Comment

Working...
                              X