which is the smarter vehicle?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is the smarter vehicle?!

we had a bike show in town last weekend and i saw this car parked all alone in the parking lot & just had to take the photo...i didn't realize what i had captured until i got back home....you be the judge.....smart car or xs?!....

rebel devil
    1979 xs 1100f standard
    authenic historical vehicle
    42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
    "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
    "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
    "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
    '96 venture cct.....installed!
    stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
    i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

There's a dealer in town that has several of those Smart cars parked in an old emty parking lot in the middle of town. I've seen one up-close and talked to the owner a bit. Kinda funny how the XS is about the same length, and has larger wheels than the car!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Kinda funny how the XS is about the same length, and has larger wheels than the car!
      ....and most of them even get better fuel mileage than a Smart!
      I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
      3J6 003509
      Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
      Fuse Block Upgrade
      Mike's XS Green Coils
      Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

We'd all like to know

Originally posted by egleaves View Post
        ....and most of them (XS11s) even get better fuel mileage than a Smart!
        Hi Eric,
        my enthusiasm for the marque would be greatly enhanced if you could please share the secret of how to get more than 60mpg out of an XS11.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
          Hi Eric,
          my enthusiasm for the marque would be greatly enhanced if you could please share the secret of how to get more than 60mpg out of an XS11.
          Use the same 4.5 hp engine as the smart?
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

My choice

I'll take the xs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hey ross you have the bike looking great!

Comment

....and most of them even get better fuel mileage than a Smart!
              you get better than 56 mpg us on an XS ..wow
              I get about 44mpg on my nomad and thought I was doing well.
              interesting , i have driven a diesel one and they are incredibly noisy , I would get a Mini way before one of these , way more fun

"Transport Canada rates the fuel consumption of the smart fortwo cdi at 3.7 (manual mode) to 3.8 (softouch automatic mode) litres per 100 kilometres on the highway, and 4.6 L/100 km in the city, for an average of 4.2. For the “Imperalists“, that is 76.3/74.4 MPG highway, 61.4 MPG in the city, for an overall average of 67.3 MPG."
              those are Canadian gallons US is 4.7 L/100 km (60 mpg-imp; 50 mpg-US) gas diesel is
              3.4 L/100 km (83 mpg-imp; 69 mpg-US)
              Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
              Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
              and SOXS
              2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi Eric,
                From the horse's mouth:

http://www.smartusa.com/smart-car-faq.aspx

The smart fortwo is designed to achieve 33 city/41 highway mpg according to 2009 EPA standards, which involves measuring mpg while taking into account real-life driving conditions such as start/stop city traffic, air-conditioning, heating etc. According to information obtained on fueleconomy.gov, the smart fortwo is the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid gasoline-powered vehicle in the USA today. The gas tank of the smart fortwo is 8.7 gallons.

*Fuel economy estimates were derived in accordance with the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) vehicle testing procedures for model year 2009 as specified in 40 C.F.R. pts. 86 and 600 (2007). These estimates are intended for comparison between other vehicles within the same class. Individual drivers’ actual mileage will vary depending on how they drive and maintain their vehicles.

If you know where to get a 60 mpg Smart I'd like their phone number.

1980 SG
                3J6 003509
                Fuse Block Upgrade
                Mike's XS Green Coils

Comment

Originally posted by hamjam View Post
                  you get better than 56 mpg us on an XS ..wow
                  I get about 44mpg on my nomad and thought I was doing well.
                  interesting , i have driven a diesel one and they are incredibly noisy , I would get a Mini way before one of these , way more fun

"Transport Canada rates the fuel consumption of the smart fortwo cdi at 3.7 (manual mode) to 3.8 (softouch automatic mode) litres per 100 kilometres on the highway, and 4.6 L/100 km in the city, for an average of 4.2. For the “Imperalists“, that is 76.3/74.4 MPG highway, 61.4 MPG in the city, for an overall average of 67.3 MPG."
                  those are Canadian gallons US is 4.7 L/100 km (60 mpg-imp; 50 mpg-US) gas diesel is
                  3.4 L/100 km (83 mpg-imp; 69 mpg-US)
                  I missed this before I posted my last reply. Perhaps there are different designs for Canada vs. US?

1980 SG
                  3J6 003509
                  Fuse Block Upgrade
                  Mike's XS Green Coils

Comment

I missed this before I posted my last reply. Perhaps there are different designs for Canada vs. US?
                    Heck, there are probably different models for California than for the rest of the states too!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

I have seen

videos of the smart car hitting a mid-sized car in controlled lab tests. The cars were positioned to hit each other head on but off set to the right about onehalf of the cars width. The smart car's drivers compartment was totally crushed. The mid-sized sedan had very little driver compartment damage. I don't know the speed of each car, but it looked like about 40 mph. The bottom line looked like a death trap to me. Can you imagine one of those things getting hit by a 18 wheeler at 70 mph?
                      J.D."Jack" Smith
                      1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                      1978E straight job
                      "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Hitting a vehicle head on is relative.I doubt an XS does very good in that situation either.But I dont want to personally find out.
                        80 SG XS1100
                        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

This is all making me really dizzy...nice bike though...
                          My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mstic2000 View Post
                            This is all making me really dizzy...nice bike though...
                            wait till the 16 clowns get out and run around it
                            Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                            Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                            and SOXS
                            2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Naw, we just put bigger gallons of gas in its tank!
                              Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                              X