No announcement yet.

what kind if shades do you wear ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a hard time to find ones that don't whisel with the wind or feel like they will fly off my face if I turn sideways & make my eyes water due to wind. I wear a beanie with no shield. Finally found a pair that fit the above at a local "stedmans store" They are called GP Sports and are orange & black plastic frame. They stay on & flow great with the wind & my eyes don't water with them. They are $40.00 & come with a case with 4 other lenses. I go through all the lenses in a year. They get pitted & scratched with bugs etc. and have to changed. (the reason I never went for the real expensive kind due to constant scratched lenses from debris). I have bought this same kind for 4 yrs now - just got the new set a couple weeks ago. Do have the googles with the foam but found they restricted my side vison too much & don't wear them. Don't know what I'll do when they stop making these. - Dan
    '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
    1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
    Rebuilt head, valves
    TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
    Tkat Fork Brace
    T.C. Spade Fuse Box
    Dyna Coils & wires
    Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
    ISO grips with stelleto ends
    4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
    Bridgestone Spitfires
    Tuned by Tinman905
    & a will to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      I understand that's a problem with all polarized sunglasses inside vehicles, since vehicle glass blocks UV rays, and that is what causes them to darken. I may be wrong on that, but I thought polarized glasses could not be used as driving glasses (in cages) for this reason.
      "Polarized" is different than "transition" or "photogray". Transition lenses darken when exposed to direct (or strongly reflected) sunlight. Polarized is a filter that lets horizontal light waves through and blocks vertical light waves (or visa-versa depending on the orientatin of the lens). Get 2 pairs of polarized sunglasses and hold one in front of the other (looking through both pair at the same time). Now rotate one pair 90 degrees and see what happens.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

That's an issue with plastic lenses (transitions).

With glass lenses, true Photogray works fine in cars. I have glass lenses partially for this reason. My last pair of glasses had plastic lenses and I found out very quickly the transition lenses were useless to me as I drive a lot.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

For the car i have my Raybans a more modern looking aviator frame, polarized with my rx. For the bike i have cheapo regular rx frames with a tint. I also have a tinted visor. Sometimes i will wear both the tinted eyeglasses and tinted visor. I carry the regular visor in my backpack. I'd wear my raybans in the helmet, but they are damn thick and too wide to fit into the helmet without giving me a headache.
          1978 XS1100E Standard
          Kerker Exhaust
          Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
          TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
          Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

I have work glasses since I was 16, and for probably the last 20 or 30 years, have always had "photo grey" type lenses.

Now, here's an interesting yet still somewhat connected bit of information. Where I live, the only highway to the east, Roger's Pass, has a number of snowsheds and tunnels. On a bright summer day. with your pupils narrowed down, you are d@mn near blind as you enter the dim tunnel. By the time your pupils start to dilate so you can see, you are driving out into the full bright sun again. The trick here is to close one eye 5 to 10 seconds before you get to the tunnel, then open it just as you enter. The pupil on that eye will have dilated, and you will actually be able to see the road inside the tunnel. Driving a cage with flip-up sunglasses, this is not an issue. Driving a motorcycle with photo grey prescription glasses inside a full face helmet, it could be a lifesaver. Try it next time you drive through a tunnel!
            Ken Talbot

Comment

For anyone experiencing what Ken is talking about, you need to have polarized lenses. The only down side of polarized lenses is that they make certain things like car window tints look colorful and wavy and you can't see lcd screens witht hem.
              1978 XS1100E Standard
              Kerker Exhaust
              Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
              TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
              Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Working...
              X