Retirement Party - June 27, 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement Party - June 27, 2009

It is official now. I've sent in my paperwork and the crew at work has started planning the celebration. At the end of June, I will finish my 35 year public service career, all of it with the BC Forest Service, and the last 25 all in the same office. If you're in the neighbourhood, drop by and join us.

Heck, this might even be a good excuse for a mini XS Rally. Anybody up for it?
    Ken Talbot

Whew... long haul over

Congratulations Ken! Now you'll have more time to add a few 'posts' to the site and 'boost' that relative "low" number that you've amassed so far!

Enjoy your retirement!

Ron
    1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
    1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
    1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
    1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
    2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Congratulations Ken!

Wow! 35 years? That's pretty impressive!

Are you going to know how to function after retirement after that amount of time on the job?

Hmmmmmmmmmm...
      I don't think the kitchen pass extends for the amount of time necessary for that trip... but we'll drink a cold one in your honor...
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Congrats Ken!! That is an awesome achievement. Most people never stay anywhere that long.

So now that you will have nothing better to do than sit around and get your bikes done....lol

As much asI would love to meet you and the other locals, I am afraid I have to raise a glass form a distance as well. But again, congrats on an a great acomplishment!
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Congratulations, Ken. I hope you haven't been doing a Ranger Gord all this time. Be ready, and keep your stick on the ice - we're all pullin' for you.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Big Congrats! I hope you'll be able to keep busy and not go stir crazy!
            1980 XS11SG
            Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
            Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
            ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Wow.. congratulations Ken. I was innitially thinking that you'd probably have enough time to start making some of the U.S. rallies... but then remembered that everyone I know gets hit with a list of "Honey-do's" that will keep them busy until well after they die!

I'm glad to see people retire with enough youth left to actually have some fun!

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Wow!!

Big Congrats from FL.... Hope you enjoy the time you've earned!!
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  enough time to start making some of the U.S. rallies...
                  Actually, since SWMBO and I started riding the XSs in 1998, we have attended rallies in Gillette WY, Colorado Springs CO, North Powder OR, Bozeman MT, and Thompson Falls MT. What's this 'honey-do' thing of which you speak?
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Congrats Ken. I have 34 years with the US Postal Service with 3 years yet to do. I envy you.
                    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                    Jim

Comment

awesome!

Congrats, Ken! I have 27 years in the US federal government, and will probably need to stay another 20 more to meet the retirements age requirement.

I envy you. I'd love to retire in 3 years, and then work on my bikes and tour with my beautiful SWMBO on the weekends. Maybe even make it to BC, eh?

greg
                      Gone but never Forgotten:
                      1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
                      2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
                      2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
                        It is official now. I've sent in my paperwork and the crew at work has started planning the celebration. At the end of June, I will finish my 35 year public service career, all of it with the BC Forest Service, and the last 25 all in the same office. If you're in the neighbourhood, drop by and join us.

Heck, this might even be a good excuse for a mini XS Rally. Anybody up for it?

Ken, if I understand your job, you've probably done your share of searches for lost hikers or campers. Thank you for your service.

Do you think you'll be bored once you retire? I ran boats for U.S. Customs down in South Florida for 17 yrs but had to take a Disability Retirement four years ago after a serious on-the-job accident. Now I'm bored as all heck but getting my bikes sure helps. Unfortunately here in NH as I am sure you deal with too, we have these crappy things called "Winter".

Best of luck to you with your Retirement and again, thanks for your work.

Don
                        currently own;
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Wow, B.C. is a nice area to be in the Forest Service!

Congratulations!

Scott
                          -- Scott
                          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                          1979 XS1100F: parts
                          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Congats

Congratulations on your accomplishment. I was planning on getting out soon as well, unfortunately I am like many others in the US, the current ecomomy has eaten too much of my 401. Stay active!!!!
                            78 XS1100E Standard
                            Coca Cola Red
                            Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Congratulations Ken!
                              I know that you will not have enough time to do all that you want to.
                              Will have to look at the calender and see if I can get open on the 27th.
                              Probably not but will certainly be thinking about you.
                              Don Hughes
                              Ex-1978 E
                              Ex-1985 Yamaha Venture Royale
                              1991 Yamaha Venture Royale
                              1990 Honda Goldwing
                              Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                              X