Tires in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires in Canada

I've decided that the Hot Rod needs new sneakers and that the Dunlop Elite 3 Touring tire best suits my requirements. I first checked the Motorcycle Superstore in the US and the front MM90HB-19 was $86.99usd. The rear MT90HB-16 was $115.99usd.
    Around home here in Southern Ontario The best price I could find was at Zedeno Cycle in Kitchener. Front $132.00cdn. and Rear $176.00cdn.
    I was expecting a 20%-25% to account for the exchange rate but these are definitely more than that. The current exchange is 20%. Even at 25% the tires should be about $108.00 front and $145.00 cdn rear. Anybody have a more reasonable supplier in this area? Thx Rick
    I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Wish I could help you. I have been just going over to the US to get mine and save the money. Could you make a quick trip across the border? Would be a little bit of a trip, but if planned right you could ride the bike and make a day trip out of it. A ride through Niagara would be nice in the spring.
    1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
    1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

Comment

Hi Big Daddy,
      The word for to day Tires. Round rubber things.
      I too struggled to find a deal in Ontario. No DUTY on importing from US.
      I used moultonATatlanticmotoplex.ca (use @) Mike will quote you and give exact cost of shipping. delivered in 2 days if he has stock. Zdeno does mounting of their tires at a reasonable cost if you ride to Kitchener.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

As you have a Special,(16" rear), you may want to try the MU90HB-16 on the rear. If you go the blackwall, it will just allow a matchbook cover between the tire and drive shaft side.. I know, as that is what I have on the rear of my LG.
        PS, It looks great!!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

A Couple of Questions

Thx guys, Got a price of $335.00cdn delivered to my door from Atlantic Motoplex. Good Deal in Canada. If anyone has a contact in the Niagara/Buffalo USA area for these tires, let me know.
          Ray, Have you had any issues at all with the larger rear, like the bike trying to stand up in corners or rubbing the sidewall from hard cornering ?. I have a 130/90/16 on the back now which I'm guessing translates to MT 90 HB 16.
          You're right that a fatter tire on the back does look cool.

Comment

Tire source

Hey Funk,
            Iron Pony in OH has them for $1.00 cheaper (each) and they will typically have free shipping on orders over $100.00USD. Might be worth your while to look into it.
            1980G Standard, Restored
            Kerker 4 - 1
            850 Rear End Mod
            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
            Automatic CCT
            1980GH Special, Restored
            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Getting tired of tires

Thx I'll check into them but it seems U.S. retail suppliers will not ship any tires to Canada. Probably some manufacturers agreement with retail territories. Right now I'm checking into finding a retailer in the Buffalo area. There is no customs duty on tires so I should be able to ride over and get them installed and ride back. I'm only 40mins. from the border. It would help if the dollar difference would come back up to par. Thx Rick

Comment

Ray, Have you had any issues at all with the larger rear, like the bike trying to stand up in corners or rubbing the sidewall from hard cornering ?. I have a 130/90/16 on the back now which I'm guessing translates to MT 90 HB 16.
                You're right that a fatter tire on the back does look cool.
                No never had a problem. I DO ride hard at times, and with two up, I have over 500lbs on the bike Keep in mind, this is a 1980 LG with 22K miles, and stock. The tire IS a Dunlop E3, as is the front tire. The handling is good, and I've yet to have any problems, knock on wood!
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Even after getting hit with DUTY and TAXES you will in most cases be ahead by ordering on line out of the USA .. That's my experience to date.
                  Rob
                  KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

check this out

Hey Big Daddy

You might want to try these guys. Dream Cycles

I know a lot of people from the Toronto area drive up to Ottawa to have tires put on their bikes and, apparently they still save money compared to other tire outlets.

May work out for you. I personally bought two tires from them and, a friend also bought his from there as well, after checking with numerous shops in both Canada and the US (he couldn't find a cheaper price anywhere else).

If you haven't already bought some, may be worth a shot.
                    1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                    1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                    1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
                    1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                    2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Working...
                    X