ANOTHER blasted seat thread. . . sorry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANOTHER blasted seat thread. . . sorry

Has anyone tried one of these before? I'm happy with the stock seat but if I'm gonna spend ~$60 to get the stock recovered why not go ~$128 and get the fancy comfy stuff? The biggest complaint on the customer feedback is that it can be a pain to install and it puts you too far forward. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this particular kit. It's also available through Dennis Kirk here.
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

I had that seat on my bike for about a week. Worst seat I've ever sat on. Yes, it puts you too far forward with no ability to slide back. But more than that, the foam used in it is so soft, I almost fell off the bike the first time I tried a parking lot turn. There is no side support at all. You're better off redoing your seat or if you really want a K/Q seat, find one on e-bay.
    Mark

Comment

Yeah,I agree with Mastan. I got one a couple years ago. Not bad for looks but the most uncomfortable thing you can sit on. Keeps you pushed to far forward and no way you can slide back. Took a razorblade and boxcutter to it last summer and after a lot of whittling, it was better, but still very uncomfortable after a couple hours. I think the $60.00 is a lot better investment.
      POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
      THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
      1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

Originally posted by BigDick View Post
        Has anyone tried one of these before? I'm happy with the stock seat but if I'm gonna spend ~$60 to get the stock recovered why not go ~$128 and get the fancy comfy stuff? The biggest complaint on the customer feedback is that it can be a pain to install and it puts you too far forward. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this particular kit. It's also available through Dennis Kirk here.
        Hi BigDick,
        I fitted one of them to my XS650 seat pan. No problem to install and good quality too.
        Thing is, it fits on a stock seat pan and so the extra room it gives for a passenger has to be taken away from the room for the rider.
        So yeah, it will hold your sweetie on the back far better than a stock seat but unless you have a really skinny arse you won't be happy trying to squeeze your fundament into the front part.
        Last edited by fredintoon; 04-16-2009, 10:29 PM.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

My XS came with this seat. Since SWMBO refuses to get near it and refuses to let my kids on it with me, the rear seat is a cargo hold basically. So I have been watchin for a cheap stock seat to replace it with. I have never been on one with the stock seat so I am only guessing here. But I feel it raises you up making it hard for me to touch the ground flat footed at 5'-10" with a 29" in seam. Also seems to shove me forward.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Had one. Sold it. Never again.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I had a rip in my saddle and , what I did is picked out a seat cover from walmart and wrapped the seat cover over the old leather. It took a awhile , but I made it fit by cutting and streching it over. Its still as comfortable as the old one and i've got lots of complaments with it.

Comment

Ive got/had one of those as well,
                imo theyre an ugly seat especially being fitted
                on a naked bike, i ended up removing the cover
                and recutting the foam and had another cover made up.
                I found my passengers like it caused it raised them up abit
                and they could see over my shoulder, for my self i didnt find it to bad.

not a great pic of the seat but might give you a rough idea

after its been recut and recovered

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 04-17-2009, 09:01 PM.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Yup, those Jc whitney recovers look like another seat on top of a seat, Huge.
                  Most all of those double buckets look bad from the rear. The seat is the hardest thing to with these bikes. I've made a few and they came out ok. Better then most. There are a few new age Corbins out there. They are pretty much stock shape, with that great Corbin foam. I'm selling a special with one now on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

I made this one, it looked great but put your but to sleep!

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 04-17-2009, 09:01 PM.
                  79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                  80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                  80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                  79 DT 100

Comment

BigDick,

I had that seat on my bike when I bought it. I found it awful!
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Thanks all, you saved me from a $128 mistake. Now, has anyone gone this route?
                      1980 XS11SG
                      Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                      Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                      ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                        I have never been on one with the stock seat so I am only guessing here. But I feel it raises you up making it hard for me to touch the ground flat footed at 5'-10" with a 29" in seam. Also seems to shove me forward.
                        I'm about your height, little longer inseam (32"), and can only flat-foot on one side with the stock seat. I can tippy-toe on both sides though. I do sometimes feel like there is a bit too much "slide room" on the seat, but it is nice to be able to slide back and up a tiny bit when I need to adjust position. It could definitely be better, but I think I would have to have someone mold a custom seat to my rear end to really make it nice.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Well, it's about darn time!

I thread that I feel reallycomfortable talking about my experience, and I have pictures!!!!!!!!!
                          PLUS, I sit on my rear alot!!! Hazards of trukin

When I bought the 'monster'....brief pause....remembering the ride home,
                          WOW, the ride home....heart still beats faster, everytime I think about it!

Ok, seat...the monster had a stock seat, PO had tossed thick vinyl...I mean thick, over the foam, old cover was gone, foam was in great shape,

sorry no pics til after I put it into a ditch the week before LaborDay '06 (same year I bought it)
                          'course it taught me some respect, trust me I needed it...

The first seat was found on the bay

Yep, stock seat, but in really great shape, wasn't too bad for a couple of hours, but my wife and I like to take longer rides

The second, HUGE touring seat
                          I'm 5'10" with a 34" inseam, my riding boots are my retired tree climber's they put me up to 6' - 6'1"
                          I was on my tip-toes, with the shocks at lowest setting
                          ride forever on that darn thing
                          I can't find a pic of that, but I sold it to fellow XS'r ROSS,
                          he drops in on the site from time to time......poke, poke, pssst ross

this seat didn't even make it out of the county,
                          besides I had to remove the grab bar

bought another one, but the pan wasn't the same at the back of it, taller, and it has the Yamaha logo on the back
                          so I went back to the original foam, with a T-shirt as a cover

Didn't take long, and I started looking at the 1 that didn't, took the cover off that pan,
                          foam was broken small chunks missing,
                          but the cover had been patched, had a small amount of foam sewed in
                          hacksaw blade to the original foam, a little creative tucking
                          and now I have this

Sure, it's faded, no it ain't perfect.....but it sure is comfy, SWMBO thinks so, too

things to consider,
                          your inseam, these are tall bikes,
                          your riding style: solo? 2-up?
                          if 2-up, who's riding behind you?

above all, hows your pan? if it's OK, you can have it recovered
                          you can always take a new cover and add a little extra foam, JCW & DK both carry the foam, add it to the new cover

Sorry, I'm very long winded, and it I don't type very fast, I started this over an hour ago
                          1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
                          "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
                          My Photo Bucket

Comment

One more time

I mentioned a while back of a gentleman in Fla. who will rework our seats per YOUR specifications...but not one single person was inquisitive enough to ask further.If your seat is too high he can lower it...amd vice versa ...abt 1" either way...he will ask you how you sit ...towards the tank or back from it...he'll ask your inseam...he'll ask you what your complaints are...for example...if the seat currently is tilted the wrong way causing too much pressure on tthe crotch...or it is too narrow.....What he can do ...reshape and add comfortable gel foam...raise it 1" with te "LD" mods...
                            The man has done my XJ seat and also my '95 Honda ST1100 stock seat...he has a quick turn around time and is a pleasure to communicate with. If you are just doing the pilot's portion of the seat with his "LD" mods then its $75 not including your 2 way shipping.Did I say he was quick...7 days and it will be back in your hands.
                            One more note...if for any reason its not right or that you are not happy he'll fix it and prolly wont charge you for it...except for your 2 way shipping....I will once again provide the link...I highly reccommend him...one more thing he does not recover so your seat cover should be in good condition as he'll reuse it.He goes by the name of Spencer, but his real name is Frank
                            http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php
                            Last edited by madmax-im; 04-18-2009, 02:28 AM.
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

One F'in correction

He doesnt raise the seats height only can lower it....Mods when the FFFFFFFFFF are we going to get an unlimited time to edit our posts?????...I am totally fed up with the fffin 10 mins time limit...it suckks big time........................
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X