Marcust2 You need to chang user CP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marcust2 You need to chang user CP

I received a pm from Marcust2 and I tried to reply but what I get back when I try to send is:
    marcust2 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
    So if you are out there please change your settings or whatever so that people can contact you.

Here is my reply to the question where do you get stock air filters?

There is an interesting question. Which I will gladly answer. I have absolutely no idea where to get one. That is why I made my own. And you can do the same, if you still have an old one. I was lucky enough to be able to completely disassemble the original one. That left me with a bottom two sides and a top brace. I then epoxied them back together to their original composition. So now you have a frame with no filter. I then went looking for some foam filter media. I went to a car parts place and found some 3/8" to 1/2" flat square filter foam. I think I cut it out of a replacement foam filter for something. It was 25 years ago so I can't totally remember. Then I cut out a square and placed it in the filter frame. I started large and kept cutting until the fit was right. VoilĂ !! Now I use foam filter oil - very little, and squish it around thoroughly. Blot out excess which is also very important. You really don't want much I did that and ended up removing everything to clean it out. Once the bike gets hot that oil goes everywhere. So now I have a renewable air filter. I still look around for foam to see if I can find something finer because mine is not very dense. But after 25 years and no problems I think I probably picked the right less dense foam.

So I hope that helps you out. If I do find something I'll let you know. I do think that I saw one on E-Bay once, you could look there. E-Bay has a lot of XJ1100 stuff for sale you should check it out.
    '65 Yamaha 80cc YG-1
    '67 Yamaha 350cc R-1
    '79 Kawasaki KZ-1000
    '82 Yamaha XJ-1100
    '86 Harley FXSTC 1340cc
    Sold the Harley and kept the XJ
    '82 XJ Guy

Originally posted by Vanman View Post
    I received a pm from Marcust2 and I tried to reply but what I get back when I try to send is:
    marcust2 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
    So if you are out there please change your settings or whatever so that people can contact you.

Here is my reply to the question where do you get stock air filters?

There is an interesting question. Which I will gladly answer. I have absolutely no idea where to get one. That is why I made my own. And you can do the same, if you still have an old one. I was lucky enough to be able to completely disassemble the original one. That left me with a bottom two sides and a top brace. I then epoxied them back together to their original composition. So now you have a frame with no filter. I then went looking for some foam filter media. I went to a car parts place and found some 3/8" to 1/2" flat square filter foam. I think I cut it out of a replacement foam filter for something. It was 25 years ago so I can't totally remember. Then I cut out a square and placed it in the filter frame. I started large and kept cutting until the fit was right. VoilĂ !! Now I use foam filter oil - very little, and squish it around thoroughly. Blot out excess which is also very important. You really don't want much I did that and ended up removing everything to clean it out. Once the bike gets hot that oil goes everywhere. So now I have a renewable air filter. I still look around for foam to see if I can find something finer because mine is not very dense. But after 25 years and no problems I think I probably picked the right less dense foam.

So I hope that helps you out. If I do find something I'll let you know. I do think that I saw one on E-Bay once, you could look there. E-Bay has a lot of XJ1100 stuff for sale you should check it out.
    You can also still get Uni or K&N air filters for these bikes, and I'm pretty sure that you can get the stock air filter from either your local dealer or bikebandit.com (although they may need to order them in) I know that they have the filters for the other XS models still available.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
    X