ear buds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ear buds

So, sees I, a set of headphones that have a silicone body that are supposed to fit in the ear like an ear plug. Then, thought I, will these devices, due to their "noise canceling" properties work as earplugs to block out wind noise while providing tunes on a ride?

Anyone ever tried them? I really don't want to burn $30 on something that won't work.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

My wife has em with her ipod, I'll be able to ride finally on Monday! lol I can let you know then.
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

I have a set of noise-cancelling earbuds that I use at the gym. It cancels out all of the crappy music that they pump in there really well. HOWEVER, I wouldn't recommend using them while riding because of safety issues. I want to be able to hear everything around me. It might also be illegal to use them while riding/driving, depending on your local laws. Just my $.02.
      79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
      79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
      79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

Cool. We need to have a XS11 meet and go mess with v twins....

Comment

Originally posted by 65oldsboy View Post
          I have a set of noise-cancelling earbuds that I use at the gym. It cancels out all of the crappy music that they pump in there really well. HOWEVER, I wouldn't recommend using them while riding because of safety issues. I want to be able to hear everything around me. It might also be illegal to use them while riding/driving, depending on your local laws. Just my $.02.
          Uhhh.....

All the motorcycle mags say that hearing protection is important, and almost say that not using it is stupid. I have never been called "brilliant" so I ride with nothing a lot, but on a long trip, I am definitely going to get earplugs.

FWIW these aren't electronic noise canceling. They are just sealed quite well, so they act like an earplug. like these

Comment

I use ear plugs when riding long distance. I can still hear horns, tire screaches (not mine). The reduced noise helps me concentrate more on my riding, it's less distracting and reduces mental fatigue. Oh, yeah, and it will help save my hearing in the long run.

Comment

I think that wearing earplugs to cancel some of the road noise is ok. However, noise-cancelling earphones with music being blasted into them will pretty much cancel almost all road noise. I don't think that's really safe.
              79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
              79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
              79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

Rules in CA

In CA you can use ear plugs, but if it's music plugs, only in one ear. Sterio it aint.
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

noise canceling ear buds

I wont lie I've used them and I think its amazing, however I wouldn't recommend it for city riding, and I generally only use one too.
                  "Shop"
                  Click Here! For the latest XS11 bobber update. shopschops.blogspot.com

Comment

No earphones allowed over here, helmet speakers ok. Here's a link for motorcycle laws in your state....

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I love to listen to music while riding. I used to use earbuds while riding but they get uncomfortable on long rides. After installing the cycle sound I can blast the tunes and still hear it fine while cruising at 80+.
                      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                      '82 XJ1100
                      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Double earbuds are definitely not a good idea while on the road - whether in a cage or on a bike. A single might be ok, but directly piping music into both ears will definitely cause safety issues. If you really want music in your head, I would say to get one of those bluetooth helmets and use the built-in speakers in there.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Earbuds vs. Earplugs

Hey Ivan,
                          Remeber the "You're invisible" article that TC wrote? Consider the fact that if you can't hear them coming and take appropiate action as required you're at an even greater disadvantage.
                          I wear 25 to 32 Db noise reduction earplugs which filter out most of the wind noise but still allow me to hear other vehicles and some road sounds. Wind noise is what causes most of the hearing damage. I even wear them under the helmet on longer trips.
                          Just my $.02 worth. Good luck!
                          1980G Standard, Restored
                          Kerker 4 - 1
                          850 Rear End Mod
                          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                          Automatic CCT
                          1980GH Special, Restored
                          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

ok, so, if I am pumping music in to the helmet which I will crank up to reach the same volume in my ear as I would the music in the earbud, what the heck is the diff? From a safety standpoint. If it is from the earbud or the helmet at that volume, you ain't gonna hear the road noises!
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

I use on the ear earphones that set over the ear with a ½ helmet. The helmet straps help hold the ear phones on the ear and I can still hear everything around me. I tried the noise canceling ones but did not feel comfortable not being able to hear cars around me.
                              79 XS11

Comment

Working...
                              X