my son got his first staples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my son got his first staples

I was sitting outside giving my carbs a quick once-over and my son comes around the corner with blood all over him. His hair was all matted and both hands and the butt of his pants. I took him inside talking calmly to him to keep him calm. There was no blood spurting or flowing anywhere I could see. I had my wife get a wet washcloth and then a Medic on her way home knocked on our door, she had seen him coming home and tried to give him a ride but he didn't hear her. She helped clean him up and recommended we take him to the emergency room just so they could check him out just in case. We loaded up and took him in, they put two staples in his scalp and said he's ok. we came home and got unloaded and got dinner started. I went out and you gotta go to xs/xj discussion for the rest, as it's bike related.
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

Wow! Talk about an interruption! What caused the bleeding? Glad he's doing OK now.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

oh yeah, duh! I forgot the main point of the story, he was at the park and another kid was throwing rocks at a tree. the rock skimmed off at an angle and hit my son in the head.
      1980 XS11SG

Comment

can't leave us hanging, did you get the carbs back on i assume there was something in that tree the rocks were getting thrown at? Glad is was only a couple staples.

Comment

lol yeah, i got the carbs back on after we got home and settled a bit, then it got too dark and i quit fighting with trying to get the airbox back onto the carbs and checked out my new shiny turn signals, hence my thread in xs/xj discussion also I guess there wasn't anything in the tree, he was just a kid throwing rocks at something *shrug*
          1980 XS11SG

Comment

Originally posted by BigDick View Post
            he was just a kid throwing rocks at something
            Yep.... your son...

His first staples... kind of a milestone in a boy's life, isn't it? and it's amazing how much those scalp wounds can bleed... Our son got his first stitches from his sister throwing a stuffed animal with a voice box at his head... thought it would never quit bleeding...

Glad your son is okay... and I'll bet he had a good story at school the next day too...

How old is he?
            81 SH Something Special
            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
            80 LG Black Magic
            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
            For those on FB

Comment

oh yeah, duh! I forgot the main point of the story, he was at the park and another kid was throwing rocks at a tree. the rock skimmed off at an angle and hit my son in the head.

Its always a game till someone gets hurt. which brings me to my staple story. 'Bout 14 years old, helping my dad staple some sun cloth to a fence. Had stapler in my back pocket, somehow I backed into the fence and set that sucker off, driving a staple into my rear end. I ran screaming into the house figureing I was dead with the stapler flopping around in my back pocket still. My dad was laughing so hard he was in tears, and so was I.

Glad to hear the boy is ok.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Originally posted by Wildkat View Post
                it's amazing how much those scalp wounds can bleed... thought it would never quit bleeding...and I'll bet he had a good story at school the next day too...How old is he?
                when he ran up he had blood covering half his forehead, half his face, both hands, a big smear on his shirt, and a big smear on his pants. He looked like an extra in a murder movie or a zombie movie. He's coming home from school, he's picked up a headache. He just turned 8 on the first of april.
                1980 XS11SG

Comment

when he ran up he had blood covering half his forehead, half his face, both hands, a big smear on his shirt, and a big smear on his pants. He looked like an extra in a murder movie or a zombie movie. He's coming home from school, he's picked up a headache. He just turned 8 on the first of april.
                  Wait wait wait... let me get this straight. Your son was born on April Fool's Day? Haha.

Seriously though, glad to hear he's alright. I'm sure the headache is probably nothing serious. Probably some bruising/swelling around the wound. Try some anti-inflammatory meds and a bag of ice. Hope he feels better soon.

I've never had staples, but I did get nine stitches in my bicep where I had literally ripped back all the layers of skin to expose the muscle. I was playing Superman on the wall/fence that lined my neighbor's back yard... and happened to be 10 feet above my back yard. I was young and unafraid. Now fences scare the crap out of me! LOL
                  "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Maroon) - "Organ Donor" - Parts bike

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

Glad it turned out all good and now is a laughable event!

I lost count and can't remember (yeah probably related) all the places I got stitches in my head or when the first one was. They never had staples or the "crazy glue" then.

For my son, he was bout 8 as well. I had just made him a nice oak headboard, mission style for his bed. He dicided it was fun to put his pillow case over his head and then sit up and throw himslef back onto his pillow. Well...he never realized each time he went back he MOVED back. One slat of the headboard got pushed out and he cut his head on the edge of the wood. Bloody pillow case, bed clothes, and his clothes. Three stitches. at the age of 12, he has now had one cut glued, one stitched, and staples. I think he wants to catch up with me!
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

headache

Not to discount FSCGunslinger or his experiences, but a headache after you take a rock to the noggin, could be an indicator of a concussion or potentially something more serious. If a headache is a new thing for him, I'd consider taking him to the doc. That might be overkill, but IMO it's better to err on the side of caution. That actress just died after a head hit skiing that they didn't think was too bad when it happened. Just my $0.02. Way to keep a level head for your son in the face of zombie-movie-extra blood.
                      -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                      '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                      ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik the Red View Post
                        Not to discount FSCGunslinger or his experiences, but a headache after you take a rock to the noggin, could be an indicator of a concussion or potentially something more serious. If a headache is a new thing for him, I'd consider taking him to the doc. That might be overkill, but IMO it's better to err on the side of caution. That actress just died after a head hit skiing that they didn't think was too bad when it happened. Just my $0.02. Way to keep a level head for your son in the face of zombie-movie-extra blood.
                        Yeah we took him in yesterday again, he was unsteady on his legs, had nausea, just wasn't feeling good at all. They did a thorough check on him, all his motor skills and everything were normal, they said a cat scan is more of a last resort because of the radiation it exposes him to. One doctor said since he lost so much blood that may be a contributing factor. Since I saw him as soon as he got home, with the blood everywhere I tend to agree with that explanation, you gotta figure little guys don't have quite as much blood to spare as us adults, and when they lose that much blood it'll make em a bit woozy.
                        1980 XS11SG

Comment

I sure hope all is well with your little guy! I raised 4 boys in the country, the youngest is now 34. Believe me, I know!!! About the only thing I haven't had to deal with is a gun shot wound.
                          Take Care,

Deny
                          1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                          1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

It really is amazing how much blood can come from such a smallish human. I have been in those situations far too many times. Never had kids get staples, but we are in the 200 range for total stitches. For some reason, boys love to keep the injuries on their head. Haven't figured that out yet.

We did have the life flight heli land in out back yard and take my daughter away to ICT for a severe concussion when she fell down the stairs. That was an interesting day. When I found her, I thought she was dead. She went from not breathing to severely pissed off. Still gives me shudders.

Glad your son is ok. Did you ask him if he made the other kid look worse?
                            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Nope, the other kid ran off, then my son stood there for a second and he ran home. I did go to the school and have the principle do an announcement reminding the kids not to do stupid stuff like throw rocks. >< Also the other kid was about half a head bigger.
                              1980 XS11SG

Comment

Working...
                              X