REALLY cool XS for sale in WA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REALLY cool XS for sale in WA

I found this on CL and thought I'd share. I hate fairing and this thing looks awesome. I hope a member can steal this one.
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/1098540471.html
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Man those are FUGLY!

But at that price they would make great bobber projects...The 2nd fairing looks like a Pacifico and its HUGE! The 1st one looks like its homemade.Never seen anything likke that before...either way they are both Fugly...beauty is in the eye of the beholder though...YMMV
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

At that price, I'd bet Andreas will be snapping them up!
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
        But at that price they would make great bobber projects...The 2nd fairing looks like a Pacifico and its HUGE! The 1st one looks like its homemade.Never seen anything likke that before...either way they are both Fugly...beauty is in the eye of the beholder though...YMMV
        Dangit. My taste is just off I guess. I thought the second fairing was kinda cool looking. The first one had some potential if it were painted a decent color....
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
          Dangit. My taste is just off I guess. I thought the second fairing was kinda cool looking. The first one had some potential if it were painted a decent color....
          No biggie Ivan if you like it thats all that matters...I am not the King of England.. and what I say is only my opinion.One thing about these typpe of fairings is that they do offer excellent weather protection...actually the Pacifico's are very hard to find. I just like the naked look better with some exceptions...MAXIMAN's "Zilla being one and the other being the '81 Ventures with the full touring pkg...otherwise putting a fairing on a normally naked bike just doesnt do much for me. In fact I had a Windjammer on my Maxim..I took it off and just sold it...I just wasnt happy with the look...like I said YMMV and its perfectly fine if it does...to each their own...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

The second bike is wearing a fairing from the Venturer package,with lowers, made by Pacifico for Yamaha.
            Fastmover
            "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
            lion". SHL
            78 XS1100e

Comment

The second bike DOES have the Pacifico fairing, but it's NOT from the venture. That is the 1978 ONLY fairing and lowers. I know that, as I HAD a full dress '78 back in September of 1977. I still have a fairing and lowers, and I plan on putting them on my "new" daily ride. The Pacifico WILL cut through the wind, and NOT cut the top end of the bke very much!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Venturer not Venture

The full dress 78E was called the Venturer the Venture was the v4 bike that came after, with the similarity in the names thier easily mixed up.
                Fastmover
                lion". SHL
                78 XS1100e

Comment

The Venturer was a 1981, I think, bike. It had the 6 gallon tank, and came full dress ONLY. The '78E was just that, the XS1100. I drooled over ALL the information back in the day!!
                  This was in the US, as I have almost always lived in California.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG

Comment

I don't want to get into a argument, But I will have to stand by my first statement, but only because I own a 78E Venturer.
                    Fastmover
                    lion". SHL
                    78 XS1100e

Comment

OK, I'm good with that. It's just when I took delivery of MY '78, serial number 000254, in September of 1977, it was a "full dress". It didn't say anything about Venturer. I don't know if it's because my memory may be getting old, or I just didn't see that, if it was in the lit. at the time.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

I don't have anything in writing either, but about two years after I bought it a Yamaha dealer, who sold them new told me it was a Venturer and even tried to buy it from me, because he sold them so fast he could never keep one for himself. Did yours have that fairing, or the bigger Pacifico? Is the fairing attached to the steering head? Pacifico made several fairings, this one was only sold with the Venturer package, and Yamaha had exclusive rights to it.
                        Fastmover
                        lion". SHL
                        78 XS1100e

Comment

The touring package is what had the name; that was a option on the base bike. If I remember right, you could either order the bike 'from the factory' with the package, or you could get it as a dealer-installed kit (and it had to be dealer installed; Yamaha would NOT allow any DIYers). As I recall, it was slightly cheaper to order it done, as dealer labor charges ran higher, but few dealers carried bikes with that option and there was a several month wait to get one. Seems to me Yammy charged about $700 over the price of the 'base' bike for the tour package. There was only one model of XS11 in '78, the E.

I looked at that package, but a standard windshield and a Cyclekamp trailer only ran me about $400, with only a few week wait to get just the trailer. Total invoice on mine (bike, 2 new helmets, sno suit for my future ex, and trailer) was under $3K out the door....

'78E original owner
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The only Yamaha fairing for the E was the Pacifico "big" fairing. I had ordered the complete kit minus the rear box. I thought the box was small, and looked "out of place" on the back. I went to a place in San Jose, CA called "Road Rider", and picked up a white HD style box. Got a rattle can of Macho Maroon from the dealer, and did my own paint on it.
                            I DID put all the gear on the bike myself, at the dealer. He didn't have a mechanic the week the bike came in, so I did it myself. Worked for Malcom later on as his shop mechanic.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG

Comment

More useless trivia.

No believe it or not the fairing in that picture is the small fairing, they made two bigger fairings, one with a rap around windshield, and also one smaller then the Venturer, to compete with the Quicksilver. About 10 yrs. ago when I ordered a new windshield from Swannie it was listed as the venturer windshield. I have a look through some of my magazines for some pictures.
                              Fastmover
                              lion". SHL
                              78 XS1100e

Comment

Working...
                              X