Powder Coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Coating

I have been playing with powdercoating. Here is my first real attempt. This is a set of XJ shocks that I am going to put on the MNS. I did one and took some before/after pics.

Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

That is really, REALLY nice Harry!

Awesome job!
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

Thanks. Now it is time to start dismantling the bike. I am still looking for a cheap oven that is big enough to do the exhaust and forks. A sandblaster will come in handy as well. As you can tell, I am pretty excited about the results.
      Harry

'79 Standard
      '82 XJ1100
      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

That does in deed look nice.
        Is this a DIY sort of kit ?
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Yes, I bought a powdercoat gun at Sears on closeout for $46. I picked up a cheap toaster oven to bake parts in at walmart. I ordered the powder off of the internet from www.columbiacoatings.com. Just like painting, prep is the key. The actual coating and baking is very easy.
          Harry

'79 Standard
          '82 XJ1100
          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

You might look for an old pottery kiln. I bet that would be good for cooking parts in.

I would love to get my header powder coated.

Harry, your talents are manifold. That shock looks really nice. Let me know how the XJ shock works out, been considering a set for my XS since Ia m a tad heavier than the average rider...
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
              Thanks. Now it is time to start dismantling the bike. I am still looking for a cheap oven that is big enough to do the exhaust and forks. A sandblaster will come in handy as well. As you can tell, I am pretty excited about the results.
              Hi Harry,
              DIY as big an oven as you need with rectangular sheetmetal air conditioning duct wrapped with pink fiberglass insulation and an electric stove element inside.
              Or instead of the duct use a chest freezer off the dump but it'd have to be old enough to have a metal inner liner not a plastic one.
              But sandblasting needs a serious air compressor and those cost serious money.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Pick up an old electric kitchen oven. you might be able to find one at a used appliance place for cheap.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

How about

the Free section of craigslist.org? plenty of stoves, etc.
                  J.D."Jack" Smith
                  1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                  1978E straight job
                  "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

I have been watching the craigslist here in KC. I am sure it is just a matter of time till one falls my way.
                    Harry

'79 Standard
                    '82 XJ1100
                    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Powdercoating ovens

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                      Go to the Eastwood PC forum and do a search; there's several guys who built their own, some out of discarded stoves. One guy even built one that was big enough to do frames and would 'break down' when not in use. And you don't need a 'good' one. It's doesn't matter if the top burners are bad; all you need is a functioning oven, and as the oven generally gets used less they're usually good even if the rest isn't. Try an appliance store; I'm sure they would be glad to get rid of one or two dead 'haulaways'...

Mine had NO good top burners, but the oven works fine. I stripped off the top and 'extra' controls on mine and put a piece of sheetmetal on the top (handy work surface) with some fiberglass under it. I also put a set of cheap casters on it, so it can be rolled around easily. Find one with a bottom drawer and you have a handy place to store your PC equipment. Total cost for mine? Free stove + new cord + casters = $30. Only issue I had with mine was it had been sitting for awhile and mice had nested in the top. I had to remove/change the top insulation as the mouse pee absolutely REEKED the first time I used it. Something to check...

Don't have a range/stove electrical outlet in your garage? Good news; you don't need one. After removing the top burners, most oven elements only draw about 12 amps max at 240v, so change the cord out and make up a new one with #12 wire and a 20a/250v rated cord cap. All you need is a 20 amp/240v circuit. This is for a 3000 watt element (most are this size or smaller), so if you run more than one element or get one with a higher wattage, recalculate your amps so the circuit is big enough (watts/volts=amps). This info will be on the stove wiring diagram, found usually inside the rear cover.

Powdercoating exhaust... let us know how that works out. I haven't seen any powdercoating that is rated for those kind of temps, even the 'high-temp' stuff. If it doesn't work, the bad coating will be a B***H to get off.

'78E original owner
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Got a free oven yesterday. Everything works. Next weekend we are going to wire the garage for 240v.
                        Harry

'79 Standard
                        '82 XJ1100
                        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Wow

That looks awesome...Powder coating looks to be superior to paint any day...and your results look quite professional..doing the rest of the bike will make it stunning...cant wait to see the end product pics...
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                          X