new to xs11, just like to say hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to xs11, just like to say hello

Just like to say hi to everyone, and thanks already for all the info that is posted on here. I just purchased a 79 xs1100 special for $400, fully loaded, fairing, hard bags, all the chrome, its all in all a real nice bike. It sat for about 6 years so it needs carb work, and i plan on giving it a Dupont overhaul too. The only real down point to it is the guy that had it before me lost the left side cover, and i have found it difficult to locate one. So if any one has some advice or tips for me, i welcome all.
    Thanks to all
    Jeremy
    __________________________________________________ __

Currently owns 1979 xs1100 special
    1978 Gs400x
    1980 kz440 ltd
    Currently own 1979 xs1100 special,1978 gs400x
    ,1980 kz440 ltd
    Previously owned 2005 vstar 650 custom (Wifes), 2005 vstar 650 silverado, 1984 750 shadow
    Loved all my bikes
    Also love my hotods...72 elcamino, 66 chevelle wagon

Welcome strich82. On those 79 Special sidecovers, 79 is the only year that will fit. The 80-81's mount up different. Check eBay for them, they show up from time to time. Good luck with your project!
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey there Jeremy,

Welcome to the site. Congrats on a great find!! Hope you've found the thread in the MISC forum about what to look for in a neglected XS11, it'll guide you to what systems you'll want to look into for getting your machine in truly road worthy status. The Carbs are just the tip of the iceberg on a "barnfind"!!

Now just a bit of a safety warning, this machine even though it's old, is almost 3 times as big of engine displacement as the bikes in your stable or experience that you listed! I'm going to assume that you are 25-26 y/o by your username, so perhaps not as much riding experience with big bikes!? These are HEAVY machines, but not hard to handle when you know how. Don't know if you've had to take an MSF course as part of your operater's license acquisition, but if you haven't taken one, would be a very good thing to do "while" you're getting your Special back into shape!

And as always, we like lots of pictures!!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Welcome to a vast wealth of knowledge.We like pics too.I dont know about the cover except they are like gold.Hard to find in good shape.Like bikerphil said ebay.
        Be safe
        Rick
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

thanks

Thanks guys. ANd i have delt with bigger bikes to this is my 5th bike ive owned plus my brother in laws both have custom choppers with 110ci rev techs on them. So a big bike is nothing new to me, but thanks for the advise. I have been keepin an eye out on ebay for one. Ill keep checking.
          Thanks again
          ,1980 kz440 ltd
          Previously owned 2005 vstar 650 custom (Wifes), 2005 vstar 650 silverado, 1984 750 shadow
          Loved all my bikes

Comment

Welcome to the site and nice find on the bike.
            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
            '82 XJ1100
            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hey Strich...welcome to Ch.11! There is a fellow here Andreasweiss...who might be able to find that cover...he has lots of parts so you might look him up...its worth a shot...
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

ide like to put pictures on here of it but i cant figure out how to, and suggestions.
                ,1980 kz440 ltd
                Loved all my bikes

Comment

Originally posted by strich82 View Post
                  ide like to put pictures on here of it but i cant figure out how to, and suggestions.
                  Get a account with photobucket (free), load the photos from your computer, click on IMG code below the photobucket photo, and paste it into your post.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

here i hope this works, its the picture of the 79 xs11 special, thanks for the advise Phil

http://s655.photobucket.com/albums/u...ent=myxs11.jpg
                    ,1980 kz440 ltd
                    Loved all my bikes

Comment

Originally posted by strich82 View Post
                      here i hope this works, its the picture of the 79 xs11 special, thanks for the advise Phil

http://s655.photobucket.com/albums/u...ent=myxs11.jpg
                      Oh good show..that didnt take long...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

double take

That bike is just like my setup ( although mine has the
                        side cover). Welcome to the forum.

Skip
                        1979 XS1100SF
                        2005 VTX1800S3 ( Dailey ride)

Comment

strich82,

Welcome, And Damn.. Wish I started that far along..
                          You'll like it here..

Rodger
                          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

you might want to check with the folks at Walt Healy in western Canada. http://www.myoldyamaha.com/

They found both side covers for my 81SH and shipped them out. I still have yet to receive them but they had them in stock. It's worth a shot. I advise calling them rather than just checking their website. I suspect there is a very good chance they might have the side cover you're looking for though. It doesn't hurt to try. Give it a shot.
                            If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

sidecovers

I have a match pair of 81 h xs1100 standard sidecovers which will fit a 79 sf xs1100. left sidecover battery side has the round mount slots which can be dremmelled to be rectangle mount if needed, right sidecover fuse block side is rectangle mount, non factory color pearl white/yellow pinstripe with black grey centre, emblems say "xs eleven" send me a private message if interested pair is $100 shipped, left side is $50 shipped, thanx andreas

Comment

Working...
                              X