new xj1100j owner from NH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new xj1100j owner from NH

hello every one i just got a 1983 xj1100j for $600 off craigs list.I didnt think i did to bad untill i tried it out on the tar (person lived on a dirt road and there is still snow and mud )the fist time i womped on it in 2nd gear it slipped bad so that is how i found this page after some searching and asking the local shop how mutch to repair this he said it was a $500 fix plus parts and said it would have to be split apart.So being the back yard tinkerer i did the search thing and found out about the fix for this without removeing the moter and splitting the case.Thank you for the info.I have had many xj's and xs's but never a 1100 this thing has some sack and fits me better than any other bike (i am 6'2 200 lb)
    1883 xt250
    2006 tw 200
    1983 xj1100j
    1982 xj750 chopped riggid project
    had at one time xs 400,3 xs 650's,dt 100,175 yamaha dirtbike,xj550 seca,80 xj 650 maxim ,82 xj750 seca

Hey, welcome! Get her up and running and meet us at XSEast, we're holding it in Brattleboro, VT this Memorial day weekend. All the info is here:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20129

Comment

Welcome to the fun and insanity!

Does it only slip in second? By slip do you mean pop outta gear? Could just need a clutch adjustmment! That is all mine needed!

Good luck with the bike and like Randy said, check out the XS East Rally!

Paul
      Paul
      1983 XJ1100 Maxim
      1979 XS1100 Standard
      1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Welcome to the board from another member in New Hampshire.

Don
        Raymond, NH
        currently own;
        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

No it pops out of gear but only in 2nd gear and pops back in.If you take it easy it will stay in gear but i dont plan on taking it easy in 2nd gear and it being my first 1100 i want to use all the power because my last bike was a xj 650 maxim modifided with a header,carbs and cone airfilters with a custom air box.This bike was not only fast but had some good low end grunt and would drift the front tire in 3 gears sometimes 4 just bye cranking on it.I want this bike for a dependable cruiser but also to go out with the boys and get on it some.I have 2 enduro bikes to go riding with the wife but she also likes to ride on the back during bike week and people watch.(only live 20 miles from laconia/weirs beach)I have had a bike every year and made bike week from 1987 up to the pressent.
          1883 xt250
          2006 tw 200
          1983 xj1100j
          had at one time xs 400,3 xs 650's,dt 100,175 yamaha dirtbike,xj550 seca,80 xj 650 maxim ,82 xj750 seca

Comment

Yep, sounds familiar.

Welcome to the board!! I had the same experience wiht mine when I bought it in Novmeber. I had read on here about 2nd gear issues and even tested it some during the test ride(s). But never got into it hard enough to reveal it.

Follow the tech tip and you will get it, even I did it, with help from the folks here!! This stuff is kind alike medicine, see one, do one, teach one. Only you have to skip the see one part typically. A weekend of work and you will have a great ride that will rocket in all gears no problems. Mine has been flawless for almost 1,000 miles so far.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Welcome to the site/insanity of owning an XS1100!
              When you go in to "fix" second gear, do the work on the first gear set as well! The XJ is know for having first gear go, then second. The bikes WILL take off OK in third, if need be. I used a dremmel with a carbide bit for the fix, and it was about two hours for all the gears. You DON'T need to polish the gears, just get them close and they will polish themselves out as they "break in". I did my bike with the "flip" method, and it worked well for me.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Well the wife and i just got the bike flipped over with help from my bucket tractor,not gracefull but it worked.when i got into it it looked like someone did 1st gear already but neglected to do 2nd but i am going over all of them just in case and dont wantt to do this again real soon.Does anybody know how long this will work for and has anybody done a lot of hard miles after,should i be easy on it or can i get on it but make sure not to speed shift?I have had many yamahas and never had issues with the trans before and this bike only has 12000 miles on it is this when it will nead this again?well so far i have about 2 hours in it and its going back together tomara nite but still waiting for the gaskets.
                1883 xt250
                2006 tw 200
                1983 xj1100j

Comment

Originally posted by brentemmons View Post
                  Does anybody know how long this will work for
                  Look into the 2nd gear washer swap. That should greatly extend the life of 2nd gear. JMHO
                  Last edited by bikerphil; 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Im new too!

My father bought a 1979 XS1100SF new 1 year after i was born. So i,ve always known it. Dad pasted last Aug. and left it to me we can't talk about bikes nomore or go to Daytona Beach.Its been hard sicne hes been gone.I've put on new tires,cleaned carbs,new cam chian,air box boots,oil and air filters,and new wind sceen. took it to Daytona in march 09 bike week by myself,but dad was there in my heart. I'm in jacksonville florida.
                    Last edited by will1978; 03-24-2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Welcome aboard! Lots of good info and people here to help.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Heard alot of folks go HARD at them after this fix with no problems for many miles. Of course I can only tell you about mine and I know I generally ride fairly conservative. Now and then I do hammer it up to 7K in 1st through third or fourth though, no problems so far for mine.

As to gaskets, I just bought sheets from AutoZone and made my own for all three. Not bad really and saves time and money. Used a std hole punch for bolt holes.

Welcome Will!! Awesome you got a great bike that you know the history on AND all those awesome memories too!!!
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Well the wife and i just got the bike flipped over with help from my bucket tractor,not gracefull but it worked.
                          That sounds a LOT easier than the way I had to do it!
                          I've put about 35K HARD miles on the transmission I fixed, before something broke. But then, I didn't fix it until I was down to a three speed, third through fifth gears ONLY. These bikes have a TON of torque, as I was able to go up my steep driveway, from a dead stop, in third!
                          If you do the "washer swap", you can probably get 100K on the transmission, unless you plan on drag racing the whole 100K! If you DO buy any new gears, they will now have the cut in them. Yamaha DID learn, but it took them a while.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey Brent...

I also own an XJ1100, and had issues w/ my tranny as well when I got it. 2nd gear replaced, others worked over... but found another big problem... the bearing on the output shaft had worn, and was no longer a pressed fit on the shaft... and was allowing the entire shaft to move in and out 1/2 inch! Wrecked most of all the gears... You might want to check that out as well when you get in there. I was fortunate enough to have the help of some fellow XSers that knew what they were doing. Trbig, here in Ok. really knows these tranny's and also owns an XJ. He was instrumental in rebuilding mine... and it shifts perfect now. This is a great site... with a lot of great people. Odds are... no matter what you run into... someone else has already been there before, and can help ya. Good luck and welcome to the site! Ride safely soon.
                            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by will1978 View Post
                              My father bought a 1979 XS1100SF new 1 year after i was born. So i,ve always known it. Dad pasted last Aug. and left it to me we can't talk about bikes nomore or go to Daytona Beach.Its been hard sicne hes been gone.I've put on new tires,cleaned carbs,new cam chian,air box boots,oil and air filters,and new wind sceen. took it to Daytona in march 09 bike week by myself,but dad was there in my heart. I'm in jacksonville florida.

Welcome to you as well. Sorry to hear of the loss of your dad.

I was in Jacksonville last month. It was just a short stay for a retirement party for a couple of guys I worked with in the past...it was near the NAS (Orange Park).

I was wishing I had my bike down there during my visit. Thankfully it has finally warmed up here in NH lately.

Stay safe,

Don
                              currently own;
                              1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                              2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Working...
                              X