I'm new here, so Hello everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey again Jason,

I was thinking after I posted my previous post, about 2nd gear locking up. And then you provided the clue, a broken shift fork! Yep, that could do it, because it could allow another gear to slide/mesh into position WITHOUT removing/disengaging the previously engaged gear, and viola, a locked up tranny!

The shift forks and gears that are involved in the 1st and 2nd gear fixes are all easily accessible and are on the countershaft, no case splitting required!

Andreas Weiss may have some of the spare parts you would need for this repair, shift forks, extra gears, etc., so you wouldn't necessarily need to spend $$$ on NEW parts! Glad to hear you've got an experienced mechanic to do/help with this job. Would highly suggest that he read and review the tech tips on the basic maintanence stuff, like the cam chain tensioner adjustment procedure and such. IF done wrong, can lead to severe damage to the valves and such!!! Remember, the engine spins backwards, clockwise when viewed from the LEFT side of the bike!!!

While you're in there, you'll need to remove the clutch assembly to do it, so a good inspection of the frictions for specs....max 3.00mm min 2.80mm thickness, replace if below that, plus clean up the steels, and put in NEW SPRINGS, they get sprung easily from years of sitting there being compressed, etc.!!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Msf

Jason check into MSF courses...thats Motorcycle Safety Foundation...they have beginning and advanced courses to teach you the fundamentals. Also Its a good idea to have some proper riding gear. A good full faced helmet and textile jacket and pants that have armor in strategic locations...like knees low back ...elbows and shoulders.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Welcome! I anxiously await the pics

Here is the info on the MSF coarses in your neck of the woods:

http://www.dcr.net/~ckriders/Kentuck...am%20Sites.htm
        Dave
        1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Man you all are way helpful. I really appreciate it. Yeah topcat, Andreas already contacted me and I'm on the way to getting those parts. Thanks for the tip on the MSF course Dave, I'll definitely call.

Lorax and DGSXER, thanks for the invite to ride in May maybe the bike will be ready, just not sure I will be lol. I promised my wife that the xj wouldnt see highway until I KNOW ive mastered riding as best i can. But who knows, if not in may then surely some time in the not too distant future I hope.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Youve been very helpful. Anyone else with any pearls of wisdom concerning this tranny repair ill take em. Over the years spending countless hours under my various vehicles I've learned that the manuals are vague at best.
          Thanks again
          '82 XJ1100 (In progress...)

Comment

Originally posted by lakecountrydave View Post
            Welcome! I anxiously await the pics

Here is the info on the MSF coarses in your neck of the woods:

http://www.dcr.net/~ckriders/Kentuck...am%20Sites.htm
            Im going to the garage tomorrow (Thursday) to remove the tank and prime it for paint (Toyota Speedway Blue) so I'll take the camera with me and get some pics up. Just bear in mind...she's a work in progress lol

Comment

Hey Welcome and good luck with that tranny problem! Hope it will be a simple fix for ya.

Deny
              1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
              1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Originally posted by Ashencone View Post
                Im going to the garage tomorrow (Thursday) to remove the tank and prime it for paint (Toyota Speedway Blue) so I'll take the camera with me and get some pics up. Just bear in mind...she's a work in progress lol
                Sorry....something came up and I couldn't get the pics..... real soon though

Comment

Got my owners association patch today woohoo. Gonna look real good on the vest. Thanks Top Cat!

Comment

Welcome Buddy

Welcome, I don't know much, about much, but the members here are great!
                    "Shop"
                    "Shop"
                    Click Here! For the latest XS11 bobber update. shopschops.blogspot.com

Comment

Here's a picture finally. Not bad for a hundred bucks....

Comment

$100 bucks, huh???

Man, what a deal! From one fellow XJ owner to another, congrats and welcome to the club! If ya plan on some trips in the near future, I'd keep my eye peeled for a faring... they may not look as good as a naked bike, but it's all about the function! Ride safe!
                        Bob
                        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
                        X