I'm new here, so Hello everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new here, so Hello everyone!

I've wanted a bike for most of my life as most guys do. I'm 30 now, and I just bought an 82 XJ1100. It purrs, except that 2nd gear locked up on the previous owner, (a friend of mine) about 3 months ago. As I read, I'm realizing that this is a pretty common problem, so any advice is MUCHO welcome. My friend bought a Harley, and decided he'd sell me the XJ for 500 bucks. Good deal I thought. He calls me a week later and say: "I really need to tag the Harley so if you'll give me a hundred bucks, the bike is yours." YAY ME.
    Everyone here seems very nice and helpful, and I look forward to talking to you frequently.

Jason
    '82 XJ1100 (In progress...)

Welcome,
    There is no shortage of help and friends on this site...

I am going to be thrashing on an XJ this summer as well. I,m sure we will watching the same posts..
    Good luck and again, welcome.

Rodger
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Wow, $100 bucks, not bad

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't help with the transmission, but All you need to know is here

Good Luck, John
      1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
      "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
      My Photo Bucket

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Great deal on the bike too...

If you don't mind letting us in on where you're located... you might have some local XSives close by... to either help with the bike... or hold a beverage while they point at parts...
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

Welcome to the good ship XS11!! Awesome deal on the bike, a running engine and solid frame for $100 is a steal. If it just needs the gear fix, you are ready ride in no time. Took me about three evenings/nights to do it, so any one can.

Pics of bike are always appreciated.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Welcome. You are in for some fun it sounds like.Stick around here and youll definitely know all about your new bike.
            have fun. Rick
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by Ashencone View Post
              I've wanted a bike for most of my life as most guys do. I'm 30 now, and I just bought an 82 XJ1100. - - - "I really need to tag the Harley so if you'll give me a hundred bucks, the bike is yours." YAY ME.
              Jason
              Hi Jason & welcome,
              $100 for a runner with 2nd gear problems, I am eaten out with envy.
              BUT, this is your very first bike ever?
              Fer chrissake take a riders course! The XJ1100 (or any bike that powerful) can be a widowmaker unless you know what you are doing.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey, you guys are awesome, and yes, it's my first bike ever. Wanted one my whole life, but we we're poor. lol. Anyway, no worries as far as taking a riders course. I don't plan to hit the road until I'm VERY well aquainted with the machine. Also, I'm in Ashland, Ky. I posted it on the map thing, but I don't think there are any xsives near me. Oh well. Thanks for all your replies. I'm sure you guys will make fixing and learning this bike a breeze.

Comment

Welcome to Ch11 Jason...100 bucks for a running bike..geeez...I am always jealous when I hear that....I bought my '82 XJ1100 brand new in '83 paid $3600...but I still have it... BTW we love pics here so post some if ya can.Heres a pic of mine... click on pic to resize...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I am surely jealous, I paid $800 for my runner, and that is with some problems (no second or first gear problems so far though).

I'll be painting mine before summer is over though, fairing bags and all. Just gotta get some 2 part clear to spray over the color changing rattle can paint to protect it from gas (recommended by duplicolor, gotta get the paint gun to, already have the compressor).

Welcome to the sight, if anyone can help you get it together from remote these guys can.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Hey Jason,

Not everyone uses the Fragger map! If you'll look at the STICKY at the top of this forum, you'll learn about how to contact others in your area.

I'm a little concerned only with your wording of the 2nd gear problem. LOCKING UP the 2nd gear is much different than it just skipping in and out of gear!? IF it's just skipping in and out of gear, then as has been stated, it's a relatively easy and cheap repair.

HOWEVER, if it is actually LOCKING/LOCKED up and the wheel or engine won't turn over/move, then that's a different problem. I hope for the first one!

There is a lot of info in this website, the tech tips, check out the MISC tips for the one about what to look for in a neglected XS/XJ11.

Also, like Fred said, riding a motorcycle is much different than a bicycle or a car. Just being familiar with the bike is no where near enough. The MSF course is designed to teach you driving and SURVIVAL skills essential to proper piloting a bike of this size and power and weight, not to mention dealing with the cagers and traffic around you. YOU ARE INVISIBLE on a motorcycle. I'll bump up the thread I posted last year to give you some insight into why I say this...be cautious.
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                        Hey Jason,

Not everyone uses the Fragger map! If you'll look at the STICKY at the top of this forum, you'll learn about how to contact others in your area.

I'm a little concerned only with your wording of the 2nd gear problem. LOCKING UP the 2nd gear is much different than it just skipping in and out of gear!? IF it's just skipping in and out of gear, then as has been stated, it's a relatively easy and cheap repair.

HOWEVER, if it is actually LOCKING/LOCKED up and the wheel or engine won't turn over/move, then that's a different problem. I hope for the first one!

There is a lot of info in this website, the tech tips, check out the MISC tips for the one about what to look for in a neglected XS/XJ11.

Also, like Fred said, riding a motorcycle is much different than a bicycle or a car. Just being familiar with the bike is no where near enough. The MSF course is designed to teach you driving and SURVIVAL skills essential to proper piloting a bike of this size and power and weight, not to mention dealing with the cagers and traffic around you. YOU ARE INVISIBLE on a motorcycle. I'll bump up the thread I posted last year to give you some insight into why I say this...be cautious.
                        T.C.

Thanks for the tip on the fragger. I'll check it out.

As far as the tranny goes, I'm not sure if thats exactly what happened or not. That phrase has been passed through 2 different owners down to me so who knows lol. I haven't had time yet to dig into the tranny yet, but I do know for a fact that one of the shifter forks is broken. My brother is a bike wiz (I am not), and we're going to get into it at length this weeken. Thanks so much for the helpful words and advice from everyone. I'll get some pics of my poor bike with its guts laid open on here after the weekend. When all is said and done, if she turns out half as nice as the bikes I've seen on here I'll be pleased

My wife and I are both planning to take a safety course before we hit the road. Just not real sure who to call... Courthouse?

Thanks alot for all the help. You guys rock

Comment

I'm not sure about your state, but here the Department of Motor Vehicles is a good starting point. The class is usually two weekends at a local community college. There ARE waiting lists here, as there may be in your area. Try to sign up soon, and if you have to wait, see if you have a friend with a small dirt bike,, and a place to ride it. You will learn about slides and shifting VERY quickly, and probably NOT get hurt in the process!
                          Who knows, you may even find out it's FUN!
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Shift forks are not too terribly difficult to change, I did it myself, of course I had the whole engine apart at the time so it was a piece of cake. Ashland, KY isn't that just an hour or so southeast of Cincinnati? if so, there are several XS riders in Cincinnati, I live about an hour north of Cin. myself so there are guys in the area, hell, one of even created a public social group on the forum, it's called SWOXS riders. we generally talk a bunch of nonsense but are trying to plan a group ride in May, feel free to check it out. Take your time with the Transmission, and you'll be fine, I think the #2 shift fork has been discontinued, or was it the #3, I can't remember right now. anyway, if you're reasonably close to Cincinnati, tou might be interested in coming out for a spin with us. have a nice day and ride safe
                            I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Ashland is about 2 to 2-1/2 hours I think. I know it is on my way to Huntington WV, and the opposite ned of the AA highway from Cincinnati. But not to much farther than Indianapolis anyway!

Yeah, hardest part of the entire project for me was getting the gears back in, and cleaning off the shift fork cover engine side gasket surface. The actual grinding of the gears, and the shift forks were not to bad.

If your up for the jaunt to the Cincinnati area, you are certainly welcome to join our ride!!
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X