Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any other '80's bike interest you folks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other '80's bike interest you folks?

OK, I love my XS1100SG but thought I'd see what some of you may answer this question with.

If you didn't go with the XS1100, Maxim, etc, is there any other bike from the late 70's or early 80's that would interest you? I'm guessing a number of you bike owners may already own the bike you will answer with.

Me.....other than the Yamahas, I always thought the Kawasaki KZ1000LTD's were pretty cool. I'm a bit surprised I don't see them on the road these days. I can't recall ever seeing one lately.

Don

**Mods, if you prefer this topic be moved to the "Other Bikes" thread, feel free to toss it over there.
    Last edited by DJinNH; 03-06-2009, 08:44 AM.
    currently own;
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
    2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Don..cool post...for me it would be the 1982-1985 Honda Magnas' or Sabres' V-65.Clic on pic to resize....

1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
      Don..cool post...for me it would be the 1982-1985 Honda Magnas' or Sabres' V-65.Clic on pic to resize....
      Ah yes, the V65's.....good call.

Don
      currently own;
      1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
      2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

V-4s' Rock!

The 82-85 V65s' are the Daddy to the 1991 -2002 Honda ST1100s' of which I own one...and they are the Granddaddy to the 2003-present ST1300s'..heres mine
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I really enjoyed my '84 Venture Royal. Bought it as a bank repo in early '85 and rode it for 13 years before selling it.

Miss that bike enough that I bought the FJR
          Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
          '07 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Silent View Post

Miss that bike enough that I bought the FJR

Beautiful bike!

Don
            currently own;
            1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
            2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Nothing much in the '80s

Originally posted by DJinNH View Post
              OK, I love my XS1100SG but thought I'd see what some of you may answer this question with.
              Hi DJ,
              I still own my 1884 XS650 Heritage Special that I bought because it looks like a Matchless.
              But my yearnings go back further to bikes I used to own here in Canada and stupidly sold or traded off. 1974 BMW R90. Sold to pay my daughter's tuition. 1972 Suzuki Water Buffalo sold rather than ship to Saskatchewan. 1969 Triumph 650. Traded in on a sailboat. 1968 Royal Enfield Interceptor. Swapped it for the Triumph. 1952 Triumph sprung hub Thunderbird. Swapped it for a 1960 Jawa 350 twin. Sold when I bought a HondaCB450 that I part exchanged for my XS650.
              And then there's the (to cut a long list shorter) BSA twins and KSS Velocettes that were sold off in the UK when I emigrated.
              Once again, Oh for a time machine and a telephone and a long term lease on a large shed.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi DJ,
                I still own my 1884 XS650 Heritage Special that I bought because it looks like a Matchless.
                But my yearnings go back further to bikes I used to own here in Canada and stupidly sold or traded off. 1974 BMW R90. Sold to pay my daughter's tuition. 1972 Suzuki Water Buffalo sold rather than ship to Saskatchewan. 1969 Triumph 650. Traded in on a sailboat. 1968 Royal Enfield Interceptor. Swapped it for the Triumph. 1952 Triumph sprung hub Thunderbird. Swapped it for a 1960 Jawa 350 twin. Sold when I bought a HondaCB450 that I part exchanged for my XS650.
                And then there's the (to cut a long list shorter) BSA twins and KSS Velocettes that were sold off in the UK when I emigrated.
                Once again, Oh for a time machine and a telephone and a long term lease on a large shed.
                1884 XS650 ? That would be a real antique...obviously you mean 1984
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Fumblefinger strikes again.

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                  1884 XS650 ? That would be a real antique...obviously you mean 1984
                  Hi Madmax,
                  yeah, that's because the 8 is next to the 9 on the keyboard. Seems my typing finger slipped. And unlike some folks, I have to look at the keyboard to type.
                  And then there's temporary proofreading blindness. Used to be I didn't catch typos until after I'd hit the send button.
                  With the new edit function it's gotten worse. Now I can't see typos until after the ten minutes edit time is up.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Now I can't see typos until after the ten minutes edit time is up.

Fred,
                    You are not alone. I suffer form the same thing......
                    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Before my XS I owned a 1973 Kaw. Z-1, the first year of
                      their 900. I really liked that bike. Alas someone else did to
                      and they stole it.
                      1979 XS1100SF
                      2005 VTX1800S3 ( Dailey ride)

Comment

My buddy has a 77 kz1000B1 and it has less than impressed me. Even with the 1045 Wisco kit and BS34's (and considering how much lighter it is) it just doesn't hold a candle to my XS. However, I get the distinct impression that there is a drastic difference the the J models.

I would really like to ride a Vmax, a V65, and as GS1100. I used to really want to own a V65, but I have heard too many bady things about an oil system problem in the heads...?
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hi Madmax,
                          yeah, that's because the 8 is next to the 9 on the keyboard. Seems my typing finger slipped. And unlike some folks, I have to look at the keyboard to type.
                          And then there's temporary proofreading blindness. Used to be I didn't catch typos until after I'd hit the send button.
                          With the new edit function it's gotten worse. Now I can't see typos until after the ten minutes edit time is up.
                          Hi Fred,
                          My keyboard can't spell either obviously yours can't count
                          I agree on the edit function being good but usually too late
                          Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Before the Hair Bands

I truly love the old Brit bikes but early 70's Honda 500 & 750 Fours, they changed everything about motorcycling. Fast, reliable & comfortable.
                            Right now I'm interested in a 1972 850 Norton Commando. Just waiting for the owner to part with it. He's the second owner and it has been sitting under a tarp in his garage for 20 years. Should make a good long term restoration project.
                            I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Hi Madmax,
                              Fred thats funny...lots of times i get dyslexic on the keyboard too...I cant quite fathom why we only get a 10 min. window to edit our posts...other sites I frequent have no such constraints..and days later you can still edit your post. after spending a half hour reading on the net my vision goes blurry...I think I need larger text...LOL
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X