BOOM! So much for downtown Bozeman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOOM! So much for downtown Bozeman

This story didn't really make CNN or FOX but it might be of interest to those who attended the 2004 rally in Bozeman, MT or have travelled near Yellowstone.

Yesterday I was driving to Bozeman (I live ~30 miles west) and noticed a large plume of smoke. I recalled that open burning season had just started but thought it was unusual for a field burn since it was snowing lightly.

It turns out that there was a gas leak and subsequent explosion that levelled one 2-story building and destroyed two others right in the heart of downtown Bozone. Only one person is missing but the damage will probably keep downtown closed for a week. Windows were blown out in a 4 block radius and the National Guard has been called in for security.

I've worked for the last year on a new parking garage about a block away and from the start there were problems with the utility company. They don't know where their gas lines run and, even after official "locates", other unmarked lines were hit during excavation. At this time, a day later, the fires are still being allowed to burn to prevent further gas buildup. No one seems to be able to find a way to shut off this mystery gas line without stopping service to the major part of Bozeman right in the middle of a major spring snowstorm.

Rob

I saw something about that on the news this morning or late last night (fell asleep in the recliner...it sucked the life out of me). Very unfortunate, hope the casualties remain small in number. hope they figure out how to shut off the gas without putting the rest of downtown in the cold. a bad scene for certain. have a nice day and ride safe
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Working...
    X