Auto key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto key

Does anyone know where i can get a key with chip in it for a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. No places around here have a blank, and the dealer wants over $60 for a new one. One key works everthing, doors, trunk, switch. I broke mine off in the trunk, but i got the broken part out.
    Thanks Tom
    82 XJ DAILY RIDE
    78 XS1100E FIXING UP
    79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
    79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
    80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
    82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Gotcha...

Originally posted by COOL TOM View Post
    Does anyone know where i can get a key with chip in it for a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. No places around here have a blank, and the dealer wants over $60 for a new one. One key works everthing, doors, trunk, switch. I broke mine off in the trunk, but i got the broken part out.
    Shoot thats crazy but you're not likely to find it anywhere but at a dealer...Good thing its not a BMW their keys run a couple hundred to replace
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by COOL TOM View Post
      Hi Tom,
      you are SOL. Same deal with our Buick. Mr Paranoid insisted that Mr Stupid needed at least two keys after he'd lost one. No chipped keys at the keycutter kiosk bimboid's kiosk either. So off to see the geriatric gnome at the locksmith's.
      $60 for a chipped key there, too. Just like at the dealer.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey you guys are doing great. Ford want $150 for a replacement. I have had two locksmiths assure me they can do it. Both suceeded in the open the door part neither would make the engine run.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

It sounds to me like you went to the wrong locksmith. With Fords, if you have two programed keys they can be used to program new ones, if you have less than two you must use a special computer to program a new key, if you go to a dealer you will probably pay $40.00 for the key and the rest is for the shop time it took to program it. They charge by the book, not buy the actual time it takes. We charge for the key and 40 to 55 dollars to program them, if we use the computer, if we don't need the computer we program them for free. This may seem like a lot of money just to program a key, but the computers cost $7000. plus upgrades, so we have to make our money back that we paid for the unit.
          Fastmover
          "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
          lion". SHL
          78 XS1100e

Comment

Go ebay for remote or key

Hi, check Ebay for the keys and remote for your car. I get mine cheap there and have the local keysmith code them and cut them if needed. I checked for your model its like 10.00 for the key, ebay number 190227603081. Do a search under your car, ie. pontiac firebird key or whatever and a lot of options and sellers will come up. I have gotten numerous keys and remotes for cars, and no problemos to date. THe wifes acura key was 300.00 from the dealer,,,20.00 on ebay for example....good luck, Mike in san diego
            mike
            1982 xj1100 maxim
            1981 venture bagger
            1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
            1959 wife

Comment

I cheated once on a Ford Focus I had. The ignition cylinder locked up solid on me, and I sure didn't want to pay for a new cylnder AND two new chipped keys as a set (ouch). Instead I found a non-encoded key w/ cylinder on eBay for not even a quarter the price as the encoded key w/ cylinder. Then, upon install, I removed the halo which picks up the signal from the key from the old ignition cylinder, wrapped it in electrical tape, and then shoved my old key through the tape. After applying more tape to secure the key in its newfound home, I dangled the halo w/ key back in behind the dash. Installed the new cylinder and put all the panels back.

Presto! New non-encoded Ford Focus. I guess this was only possible because the encoded key was an option on that car; might not be the case on yours.

Also, it might be far more work replacing ignition cylinder than you really need to do if you are just MISSING a key.... just thought I'd share the funny story.
              Corey J. Bennett
              '79 XS1100SF

Comment

I bought a new blank off of ebay as well for our ford focus. I never got around to programming it or having it cut before SWMBO traded in the car on a new Scion. I know that you can get them for real cheap on ebay though. I'd give that a shot.
                If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

Corey, that is a good way to go around the system, but I wouldn't do it with a Focus if I wanted to keep it, their ign. locks are made in Germany and are the worst lock ever make, you can pick them in about 30 sec., of course with the Focus, an insurance check in the hand is better then a Focus in the driveway.
                  Fastmover
                  lion". SHL
                  78 XS1100e

Comment

Originally posted by wa407mpp View Post
                    ...of course with the Focus, an insurance check in the hand is better then a Focus in the driveway.
                    DAMN STRAIGHT! I was so glad to get rid of that thing. I drove it four years with only a EGR sensor going bad on it. When it hit four years, though, the thing went to hell (right around 100k, mind you). EVERYTHING started going bad on it. I think its because EVERYTHING was cheaply made on it.

I'd take my current 88 Turbo Tbird (with 174k on the clock) over a piece of shiz 2001 Ford Focus any day...

...not that I'm spiteful or anything
                    Corey J. Bennett
                    '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Try another calling another dealer. I sold cars at a couple of different dealerships. One charged $120 and the other charged $45. You might also try calling the sales manager at the dealership you bought the car from, and try to get him to cut you a break on the price. The odds of this working greatly increase if you have purchased more than once from this dealership, and even more if you dealt with the sales manager directly (your "his" customer). I don't know, but you might also try one of the larger locksmith outfits in your area. Like wa407mp said the equipment to program the keys is expensive, but a large locksmith might have justified the cost. You might try Northern Key and Lock. They are big, but I don't know if they service that far south and west.

https://www.northernkeyandlock.com/Home_Page.html

I checked and they do cut/program chipped keys. Maybe you could read the number off the cylinder and have them send you the key. I don't know if they need the car to program the key or not.
                      Dave
                      1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

most do

Most cars need the car and the key together, but some can be cloned, however you will need a key that is already programed to the car. There are so many variables it hard to know whats what without the book in front of me and I work with them every day. I will also warn you that a lot of locksmiths won't cut or program keys brought in by customers. The reasoning behind this is, (1) we are in the business of selling keys, not saving people money, (2) we guarantee our keys to work and if we cut or program someones key and it doesn't work we have to replace it at our expense.
                        Fastmover
                        lion". SHL
                        78 XS1100e

Comment

Working...
                        X