Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New-to-Me Concours

All:

As some of you know, I had been looking for another bike to supplant the XJ as my prime 2-wheeled transportation. Yesterday I brought home a 2006 Kawasaki Concours.

The "Connie" is powered by an in-line 4 cylinder water cooled engine. Carbs, not EFI. Main competitors were the ST1100 and BMW K1200 series. The bike is not near as sophisticated as either of those, but usually is ranked 3rd in the Sport-Tourer class of motorcycles.

The bike is similar to the XJ in many ways, but has upgrades / advances that newer technology offers: 6-speed transmission (6th is actually an overdrive) with dual-piston calipers up front, factory oil cooler, mono-shock rear suspension, adjustable damping front and rear, and rear shock is also air-adjustable, just like the XJ.

Previous owner was first, and he put ss brake lines up front, EBC brake pads all around, added a tank protector, and got a factory shop manual. For those who know a bit about the Concours, he also added 2 common add-ons, a Fenda Extenda and oil cooler / radiator grills that kelp keep debris out of the cooling systems. There is also a Givi top trunk mounting plate, but not the case itself.

Bike does have a couple dings and scratches; I'll be trying to buff the out but in any case they are not bad.

Anyway, I am looking forward to riding the Concours. I may or may not keep the XJ for much longer; a lot depends on current economics and what the bike market does. In addition, I really don't have that much storage room.

The Concours has just under 20K miles and price was $4,999.00.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Hi Jerry,
    Very nice. On my list of desired machines.
    IS that the last year of the 1000cc
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Yes, 2006 was the last of the 997 cc Ninja-based engine, developed back in the '80s. Reports on the new 1300 cc are mixed, more HP but a lot more heat for the rider. The Concours (ZG1000) was in production from '86 to 2006, a 20 year run. Minor changes along the way, went to a dual-piston front calipers in '96 for example. Not a high tech bike, but I kind of like it that way. Decently loud horns, by the way. I don't have a good photo yet, will post later. Might be nice to be looking for parts that were made for more than 1 model year!
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.

Comment

Jerry

You just snagged one of the best overall STs ever built. Why do you think Kawasaki kept building that thing for over 2 decades? IT WORKED. I know two or three guys that have put in XS of 100,000 miles on 'em...one fella 170,000 with no serious problems.

The powerplant is bulletproof especially if you take care of it. As a matter of fact the clutch on that beast is essentially the same one that is in the new Connie. When Kawasaki built the bada$$ ZX12 they designed a completely different clutch for the 160 hp motor. Their new design didn;t work out too well. Alot of people were burning up the new ZX12 clutches like toilet paper.

So when they came out with the ZX14 (Busa killer) they stuck the old ZX11 clutch (same as in your and the ZRX) in the ZX14 and now the Concours14. That old clutch was designed so well it held up under the more powerful load of the 14s. The ZX11, ZRX1100/1200, and even the ZL1000 Eliminator are all the same family of motor as the ZG1000. As a matter of fact there is a fella at the Concours.org website that installed a ZRX1200 (130 hp motor) into his ZG1000. He even had a customemblem amde ZGR1200. Anywho the the ZRX1200 motor right up! Now he's got an old school Connie that will play ball with any new high power ST.

And the great thing about the ZG1000 is there are scads of farkles for that beast. Samson makes a 5 gallon aux fuel tank that is a bolt on deal for the ZG1000. It attaches behind the rear wheel to keep the COG low for stability. It takes the total cap to 12+ gallons for the iron butt guys. Add to that the fact that there is an ocean of spare parts and you just bought one of the most versatile...affordable...and proven platforms for touring God ever allowed man to design.

All in all...the ZG1000 is about like the old Eleven. Built like a tank, proven, and very economic. However...working on the carbs is a bee-otch. If you ever have to pull them (they are crammed in there) be sure and use a dentist's probe/pick. It will help you pull the intake boots back onto the TBs.

If you haven't already ... check out Concours.org. My handle there is Flying Kaw.

Have fun with it.

MOO!
        Last edited by Elevenator; 03-01-2009, 10:34 PM.

Comment

I had done quite a bit of reading on the Concours, including going to the Concours Owner's Group site and going through the forums and such.

Most of my trips involve long interstate stretches. Even my commute, 112 miles a day, is mostly interstate. Very little stop and go, in-town travel. I was looking for many of the same things that drew me to the XJ, except in a more modern package and with parts available. The Connie seemed to be a logical choice.

I hope to be happy with it. Have ridden less than 100 miles so far, have been impressed with the handling, shifting, and over-all feel of the bike. I can see that I will be adding the handlebar risers / setback, as the forward possition is not as comfortable as I would like, but that is a farily common change that many ownwes have made. Once I get more miles under my belt I'll have a beter basis of comparison, but I think I have made a good choice.

Stock photo of a 2006 Concours:

Here is a pretty good overview of the Concours, its strenghts and weaknesses, and history as well as a listing of the most common upgrades that owners perform:
          http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=44999.0

Thanks for the feedback!
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.

Comment

Connie

Congratulations, the Connie is another great bike. Research the risers and peg relocators before you purchase. The risers come in different heights and the first peg relocating kit a bought not only moved the pegs down, but moved them a lot closer to the shifter and brake pedal. I ended up with the kit that requires the GoldWing pegs and like it much better.
            Walt
            80 XS11s - "Landshark"
            79 XS11s
            03 Valkyrie
            80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
            78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
            81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Originally posted by Elevenator View Post
              Jerry

If you haven't already ... check out Concours.org. My handle there is Flying Kaw.

Have fun with it.

MOO!
              Hmm Flying Kaw Huh? Sounds familiar dude...'nuff said
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Jerry, you know the stories you've written and pictures you've posted about your XJ: the work, the time, the troubleshooting, the trailer, the people; rewarded you and everyone you met doing your touring and traveling. I hope you can find a good home for the poor, old, bike, or at least enough beer and pyrotechnics for a proper send-off!

It looks like you've picked a good replacement for your Wonderful One Hoss Shay.

Regards,

Scott
                -- Scott
                _____
                ♬
                2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
                ♬

Comment

Jerry...Congrats on getting the Connie..it is a fine ST machine...I am amazed how similar in appearances it is to the 1991-2002 Honda ST1100 which is what I own..aside from my '82 XJ1100. So many aspects of both bikes that are similar..exception being their engines. Hondas' are V-4s' and Connies Inline 4s'. Both machines have similar track records for durability,performance and economy and rider loyalty. While the XS and XJ11s' are timeless classics ...they nonetheless seem less refined than a Connie or an ST. No doubt that you will love this ride an appreciate it for what it is...Best of luck with yours..
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Arrrugh!!! Another XS faithful swooned away by more HP, better handing, better brakes, better seat, better range, better weather protection and the ability to swallow miles of interstate in the blink of an eye.

Nice rig none the less. My first experience with a Connie was when a friend bought one and was afraid to ride it home. He had been nursing an ailing 850 Suzuki and decided to get a bigger bike, (I think he got tired of being smoked by my XS) since his wife decided she liked to ride with him and the 850 just wasn't up to the task. The ride home was about 70 miles, interstate and twisties combined. I got the rig dialed in a little and nailed it on a long, straight stretch. His toyota disappeared in the distance as I ramped it up to redline in a couple of gears and watched the speedo dive to the right. Rock solid at triple diget speeds, comfortable and a absolute hoot in the twisties. Going too hot into a corner, I grabbed some brakes and leaned more, the big silver monster forgave me and let me get away with it. I pulled over to regain some composure as he pulled up. "Hows it work" he asked, "its ok" I replied with a big grin, "lets get this thing home before something happens". It took him a while but he finally got it dialed it and was able to take advantage of the HP and pull my XS.
                    Congrates on your buy but keep the big Yamaha, you will be sorry if you don't.
                    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Great find there Jerry! I know you had told me you were looking for one as another riding option if the price was right. My ST is all back together and that would be a nice short run to come up there a take a look-see. Not sure if the weather will hold, but if it should would like to jaunt up there sometime this weekend and take a look at it. Weather permitting, let me know if your schedule would allow that. Thanks, Brant.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post

Stock photo of a 2006 Concours:

Saaaweeeeet looking bike Jerry!

Don
                        currently own;
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Guys:

Thaks for the input. In terms of HP, the Concours is not that much different, rated around around 90HP with 73 lb-ft of torque @6,500 RPM. Weight is 595 pounds, a bit heavier than the XJ's rated 566 pounds. Most of the extra weight is in the water cooling system and oil cooler.

The biggest change is in the over-all handling and that 6-speed transmission. The bike feels light at 65 - 75 mph, is quieter mechanically, and creates a feeling of confidence. I plan to add a fork brace out of one of my next pay checks, but the suspension is pretty good right out of the box. I am still playing with the adjustable damping rear shock, have moved it down from 4 to 3 but upped the air pressure a few pounds.

I had looked at the ST1100, but as the initial price is was several K more than the Concours when new, a later-model ST1100 just was not in the budget. I don't think I will mind; the Concours is an excellent bike and I am having a good time getting to know it better.

Brent:

Snow in the forecast this weekend, plus I have to work Saturday, so it probably won't be a good time to pop over. Sunday I have a snowmobile trip planned....

Will keep the XJ for now. I've mixed feelings, have put a lot of miles on that bike, gone to a lot of rallies, and its been a good ride. I had just picked up an XS 750 final drive and started that swap. Hate to get rid of it now. I would really like to do a frame-up rebuild / refit now that I do not have to rely on it for a daily driver. We shall see.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.

Comment

Working...
                          X