Idiot box upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiot box upgrade

I'm trying to figure out what to do as a replacement for two dead tvs in my house, they are dead because I hate to replace anything until it is beyond repair. So after 8 years I't's time for a new tv. The dead one's are a 26" TV and a Digital Projector(100" on wall picture). Suggestions?
    42" HD LCD
    48.28%
    HD Projector
    10.34%
    42" HD Plasma
    10.34%
    Give up TV and spend spare time riding.
    31.03%
    Casey
    1980 xs1100g "Frankenstein" (Now with a mind of his own!)

"What do you mean I can't park this thing here?"
    "Shiny side up? I don't have a shiny side."

You forgot the most important option. Give up TV and spend time riding/fixing/modding your XS11.

However, I still put the emphesis on 'Give up your TV.' Personally, I own 2, and wish I owned 0. SWMBO, however, has a different opinion.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey Casey,

With regards to your PROJECTOR, I looked into getting one of those things several years ago, but found out that their projection bulbs burn out after IIRC some 2000 hours, but at regular tv watching rates of 6 hours a day, that was barely 1 years worth of use! So...what I'm saying is have you checked the projection bulb, it may just need replacing???

Now as for the Standard TV. We had a 52" diag. rear projection TV for some 16 years, but it finally died this past year. We got a nice modest priced and sized 46" HiDef unit, same actual viewing WIDTH screen as the 52" since the 46" is 16x9 format vs. the 4x3 of the 52". And HIDEF is definitely worth it for even just regular programming, as well as sports programs, and the LEARNING/National Geog channels and such.....ohhh....ahhhh!!

Plasma is cheaper but not as durable as LCD, plus more funky technology with DLP and such that can break down, etc.! The NEWER LCD's are much brighter, better contrast ratios etc., and their prices are coming down!!

You can get smaller HiDef TV's, and depending on where you watch your smaller TV, you can use it for a computer monitor, can get a HiDef output video card for your computer as well, and use it for both!?

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sharp Aquous

My brother has one of these its an HD LCD and the picture quality is excellent...he got it in 36" size.The further away I sit from it the better it looks. I'm still using the old style CRT TV in 27"...its only 2 years old so I wont be springing for anything new for a while.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

When my 32" CRT TV died late last year I looked around and researched the subject extensively. In order to get the same vertical height I had to go to a 50" diagonal set. I opted for the Panasonic Viera plasma. Compared many side by side and in different lighting situations and found this one to be the best. Location is crucial in selecting a TV, how close to a light source such as a window (reflections), how far are you going to sit from it (pixelization), viewing angle (how far off center do you want to see the picture). Those are important factors in selecting plasma or LCD.
          Good luck
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

I've got a DLP set and have been fairly pleased with it. Prices have come down considerably since I bought mine 5 years ago (a 60" HD diagonal) and that size can be had now for as little as $1000. The downside is lamp life (about 5000 hours if you don't run 'em too 'hot' i.e. bright), but some shopping will find OEM Osram or Phillips replacement lamps for about $120 each and they're easily replaced without a tech. DON'T buy the cheap no-name 'equivalent' lamps as they're real POS's. The DLP chip is supposedly nearly indestructable.

The plasma and LCD sets are very nice too, but much pricier and cranking up the brightness/contrast on those will also shorten their life (something the salesmen/manufacturers don't tell you about any of these sets when looking...). If looking at any big/flat screen, ask about the factory 'default settings' on the brightness/contrast as this will give you the best set/lamp life generally. They usually crank those up when on display in the stores. A good old CRT direct-view set will probably give the best brightness vs longevity of any of the TVs out there, and can give a better picture in a 'bright' room.

You might also pay attention to the 'kind' of HD you're getting, as there's been some compatibility issues with some vidio games and DVD/BluRay players.

'78E original owner
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

We go over to some friends' house a couple times a month to watch UFC fights and such. He has a 60" LCD, we have a 52" rear projection. His TV is clearer, but it has some distortion to it on the sides. Don't get me wrong, the picture looks great for TV, but I'm just as happy with my TV with a good surround sound system as his. The major difference I did notice though, was when he turned on a video game system. That really made it pop and could see a huge difference.

Considering I watch actual TV about once or twice a week, (House or UFC) I am going to just hang on to my old TV and fix it if it dies. It died a couple years ago, I took it in, and they fixed it up for $100. I can deal with a slightly less clear pic for a long time at those prices... lol. The other 4 TV's in the house are the CRT. I can buy a new 27" for @ $250 and don't see enough difference to make me spend double or triple that for 1/2 to 1/3 of the life span to have HD. I just have no need to see that hair growing out of that mole on someone's azz...

But that's just me...

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

We still have the same old school 32" CRT we've had for 10 years. I guess it's CRT...32" wide and 32" deep! LOL I "ain't" replacing it 'til she crashes...and even then I'll get the most affordable thing I can.

I just can't see spending anymore money to be fed slanted news, rigged sporting events or American "Idle" (pun intended). Besides I'm going through $1000 annually just to keep tires on my bikes. I need every spare dime I can get.

Lord what happen to real tv...Andy Griffith, Beverly Hillbillies and Gunsmoke?

Comment

New boob toob

Well I did it, Took genius with me to fort smith and bought a 1080p projector. got it home and set it up. The screen size was just over 120" Not too shabby. I even spent less than my dad spent on his 46" LCD. We watched transformers as soon I got it setup, looked awesome. The only question now is will SWMBO let be keep it.
                  Casey

Comment

Originally posted by cloerts View Post
                    The only question now is will SWMBO let be keep it.
                    PPWWEEEEEAASSEE!! It followed me home!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

projector

she's lettin me keep it! She even agreed to help me string the new surround sound through the attic on saturday. I had to agree to remodel the bath and kitchen as she dictates, but I had planned on that anyway. watched a disc of Planet Earth yesterday, this thing is awesome.
                      Casey

Comment

Working...
                      X