Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T.C.'s fuse panel on an XJ... pics? Anyone have some?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T.C.'s fuse panel on an XJ... pics? Anyone have some?

I know there were some pics posted recently of some members who had installed their fuse panel from TC on their XJs... but I'll be danged if I can find them in the search... I did find Cobia's pics... but I thought there were more...

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Okay.. duh... found it...

Here

but still open to more pics if anyone else has something different...
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

Kat those pics are from the famous TC Tech days I had last Aug at TC's home.While that is a fuse block on my XJ...I dont think its the same fuse block TC has forsale. He made those mods on the fly...so to say...BTW it should be noted that the fuse block on MadMax is somewhat protruding out thus making it a very tight fit with the side cover. In fact I have to press the side cover in a bit to get it to line up with the screw hole. But everything work fine
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

This is how I installed T.C.'s fuse panel in my XJ1100. I striped the old fuse panel and the aux fuse block from the existing mounting plate. I then cut a piece of aluminum to fit over the mounting plate. To that I attached the new fuse panel. I moved the aux connection to the new fuse panel. The side cover fits over it just like it came from the factory that way.

Larry
        Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
        82 XJ1100
        80 XS1100G (Project bike)
        64 Yamaha YA-6
        77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
        See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

can someone please tell me what fuses are needed? my bike is a stock 82xj11
          it looks like all the glass fuses say 10amp?

also what is this lower set up for?

What you need to do is be thankful for the life you got. Stop looking at what you dont have and start being thankful for what you do have.

82 XJ 1100

Comment

Kat,
            While I don't have any pics of mine, I have replaced mine with one of TC's newest blocks on my XJ.

I used his angle connectors he provides, and simply bolted mine in place of where the old one came out. I did have to drill and tap one new hole that didn't line up. I did not add or make a new backing plate... didn't need to.

But, to get the side cover to clear the fuseblock cover, I did dremel a small notch out on the back side of the curved portion of the lip... no big deal.

A small portion of the fuseblock does show from the side of the cover... no problem, just painted the fuseblock cover black... looks great! Made a new register inside the lid... Bingo!

Whole process took less than an hour, works & looks great.

Hopefully soon, I'll be getting a new laptop... so maybe the pic posting process won't be such a hassle for me! My old Win 98's about worn out... and can't get compatable drivers anymore, now that MS dropped support.

I got a great digital Canon camera, can't download from it!
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

lol
              That's okay, Bob
              I actually posted that in February... and completely forgot why at this point... It had to have been for someone who has an XJ...
              (Whoa! am I smart or what? - SOOOO glad Tod is out of town right now so he can't comment on that one... lol)

BUT... do you have any idea what tbcfreerider's pic is of? Electric is my really weak point on these... although, I suppose I might be able to find it in a search... so off I go...
              lol
              81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

I believe it's an Accessory/AUX fuse block.
                Richard

Comment

TCBfreerider's setup looks to have been moded to me...
                  The stock XJ fusepanel is thin and flat... that looks like a newer style block to me, fastened to the XJ backing plate, and the lower fuse is the main 30 amp one, probably.

But that pigtail looks odd as well... I wonder if someone's installed one of the 1 main line in 4 out type blocks there?

If that's the case, it needs to be changed... need 4 in / 4 out to be proper.

Picture looks dark, so it's hard for me to tell.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

the inline fuse box hasnt been put in yet. thats what im trying.. when i got hte bike, it ran fine with no fuse in that bottom slot... thats why im curious what it is. and as far as my "glass amps go. its still hooked up. but they are all 10 amp. from all the pics that doesnt look right
                    What you need to do is be thankful for the life you got. Stop looking at what you dont have and start being thankful for what you do have.

82 XJ 1100

Comment

Posted this in your other thread to, that bottom fuse is the auxillary fuse. I've changed out four of the stock fuse boxes to TC's box on XS11s and I always yank that aux fuse out and cut that sheeting back /off of the wires to that connector, then run the ground wire back to the screw it was mounted to, and take the red/hot wire to the fuse box.

Not sure about the XJ's but on the later XS models, we have a main fuse that is 30 amp, Ignition fuse that goes to a red/white wire that is 10 amp, a headlight fuse that goes to a red/yellow wire that is also 10 amp, a taillight fuse that has blue wires that is 10 amp, and a signal fuse that goes to a thicker brown wire that is 20 amp. Then the aux is again a 10 amp.

Typically the main fuse is mounted on the left side of the bike on the later model XSs. It has larger gage red wires to and from. I only incorporated it itno the fuse box on my project bike since the PO had cutout all the fuse boxes and fuses all together on it. Yeah, a real winner that one was.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

I've been told that a great use for the 30 a. main aux fuse terminal is to add the pigtail for a battery tender there. JAT

Biggest mod, as I've said, for me to adapt the TC fuseblock on an XJ was to dremel the back side of the cover a bit to get it to clear the fuse box lid that sticks out a bit too much.

As I previously said though...
                        Just be sure to use TC's type fuseblock... where each ATC fuse has an in / out. Not the type that has one main in / multiple outs. Watch the ampacity of each fuse so that you don't overfuse something by mistake. Electrical fires suck... especially on a bike!

Amazing how so many folks don't believe small batteries can cause such hot fires... BTDT! Take it from me... just as hot, if not hotter than AC electrical fires! Proper fuse ratings are so critical!

Proper connections are so critical as well. The golden rule of electrical is... a bad connection causes circuit resistance. Circuit resistance causes heat. Heat causes fires, especially if there's a combustable present. Oil film, etc. makes a great combustable... even on metal!
                        Simply by making a bad connection on a heavily loaded circuit, or installing too large of a fuse for the wire rating can have a devistating consequence.

Those 90 crimp terminals TC sent worked pretty well. A little tough to crimp due to the hard plastic, but not bad once you figure it out. Sends the wires back away from the cover nicely.

If you do the swap, just watch what circuits labled what, swap them one at a time, and make a new index for future reference of what fuse goes to what circuit, as well as the proper ampacity of the fuse. Not a big deal.
                        Good luck w/ the swap... and it is good insurance to get rid of those antique glass fuses! ATC's are much better!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Did mine Oct of '08

Hi Kat,
                          Here's the link I put up of how I did mine. Good luck!!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20011
                          1980G Standard, Restored
                          Kerker 4 - 1
                          850 Rear End Mod
                          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                          Automatic CCT
                          1980GH Special, Restored
                          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

See my photo above...

This is the wiring and fuse values for the photo that I have posted above.

Larry
                            Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                            82 XJ1100
                            80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                            64 Yamaha YA-6
                            77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                            See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Yep Larry,

That is the exact same setup as the 80-81 XS fuse box.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X