carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb question

just pulled these off the 81 sp. what's up with no pilot screw's ? all 4 carbs have brass plugs with a small hole in the center is this factory?

Folks had done numerous things, but basically it comes down to getting them out. Drill a hole in them (being VERY careful not to punch through and screw up the idle screws) and then stick something in the hole and pry them out. Somebody said the drilled and then screwed a wood screw or something in the hole. Then they used the screw to pry them out.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

brokenarrow:

The 80-81 carbs came with plugs that suppose to prevent the owner from changing the settings of those screws that were factory set in accordance with EPA dictates in the USA. As 81xsproject said in his post, drill a small hole in those caps 1/16 in. and screw a self tapping sheet metal screw in to them, being sure not to go too deep as to mar the tops of the air screws. Grab the sheet metal screw with a vise grip and fulcrum the caps out. You can leave these caps off after adjustment as they serve no purpose other than to stymie the owner from adjusting these factory set screws. When buying new air screw assemblies for the 80/81, you will get those plugs in the kit. They are not needed.

Comment

carbs

81xsp and boy could not figure that one out carbs were different from my 78
        thanks for the help

Comment

I was lucky with mine, as the caps had already been removed. However, I was rather confused by the rebuild kit I got, because it included new caps! I had no idea where to put the things. Seems like a silly idea to me... Does anyone actually put the caps back in?
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

CatatonicBug:

I posted that I thought that putting those caps back in would prevent dirt and grit from accumulating in the towers but was disuaded from doing so by TopCat. His reasoning was that you need to adjust those screws from time to time as you re-synch the carbs. Good enough for me as I have had to tweek those screws over the last year after re-build of the carbs.

Comment

Working...
            X