Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone depressed about winter and no riding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone depressed about winter and no riding?

Man, I really am counting down the days until late April or May.

I can't stand not having my bike to ride. I'd drag it down South if I wasn't dealing with leg and feet injuries. (On Disability)

I know a lot of you guys get a similiar rush out of riding your snowmobiles. I thought about purchasing one but to be honest...and whiney....cold weather adds to the pain in my feet and legs.

I sure do envy you guys who live in the South and don't have to park your bikes for the winter. However, while I lived in South Florida for 21 yrs, I never really wanted a bike. Riding in the Florida Keys sounds perfect but in reality, all the drunk tourists were just too much for me to even consider it.

My boss when I worked in Clearwater use to let me take his Harley for a ride every now and then. The traffic in Clearwater, Tampa and St. Pete was a joke but it was still fun.

Stay safe all you guys and gals that get to continue riding year round.

I hope to be joing ya in a few months.

Don

currently own;
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
    2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Short sleeve riding weather here today, 75F. Lot of extra traffic around with Northerners visiting. Still good places to ride away from the beach.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I feel your pain.

Fed up with winter is what I am. Record snow, record cold. Sore back from shovelling and chipping ice and snow. Scraping windshields, getting stuck on my own street. My NHL team is in a "rebuilding year" (again, still). Everyone has month long colds or the 3 week flu.The snow plies in my neighbourhood looks like a couple of hundred squatters built igloo's here.
      So I work on my bikes, Read all the new postings on XS11.com. Plan my summer trips and watch other peoples NHL teams beat mine. The only consolation is I know that no one gets the enjoyment from summer that all of us that suffer through this do.....Maybe I am depressed...at the very least cabin fever. Thank god I'm not a Senators fan. I just couldn't take that. Rick
      Last edited by Big Daddy Funk; 02-09-2009, 12:03 PM. Reason: Addition
      I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        Short sleeve riding weather here today, 75F. Lot of extra traffic around with Northerners visiting. Still good places to ride away from the beach.

I wouldn't mind a ride today up through Boyton Beach and maybe through Jupiter, FL.

Don
        currently own;
        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Not to rub it in...but...

We had 12" of snow fall last week (usually only get 3-4 in a month maybe) along with 6 the week before with 2" of ice. It all melted on Saturday, and it has been 50's all weekend and will be 60's the next three days.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Yeah all the snow and ice is gone, unfortunately all of the crud and grit is still on the roads. I was thinking about running her through the gears after work today, but I'm not sure I want to have to clean that stuff off of the bike afterward. We'll see if the fresh air overcomes my laziness.
            I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
            3J6 003509
            Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
            Fuse Block Upgrade
            Mike's XS Green Coils
            Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

Know what you mean Eric, Took mine out Saturday, car wash Sunday, rode on Sunday...soo....I can take it back to the car wash today!!

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

I bought a old KZ drag bike last year and i went through the engine.Seemed O.K.(eight sizes too small on the fat jet) but didn't get to ride so the first warm day (40) i suited up and took off. Rode about 30 miles and the engine puked on me. Wasn't expecting much out of the bike as far as realibility.

Yesterday was 70 today the same and i have too much to do. Waiting on gaskets to go through two engines. And then there is the garden tiller and lawn mower.

So another cycle starts.
                Roy Bean ebay moniker roy-b-boy-b
                1982 Xj 1100 2002 V Star

Comment

Sick of winter? There really isn't such a thing in south/central Texass. I guess I still have thick blood from 30 years in NM where 32 could be the high. I know there are alot of you guys where 32 would be t-shirt weather. Anything below 60 here and the locals break out the survival gear. But, being an avid boater, I miss my lake weekends. Add to that the last time I checked the boat out, some pesky critter, a raccoon I suspect by the foot prints, decided to eat the upholstery to the tune of over 3k in damage. Allstate is having a problem with that one but I keep my insurance up and they ain't gonna have much choice since every other estimate has been close to the same. I must admit, the XS has languished for too long between rides. As our February temps reach the 70's, I guess I have pretty much run out of excuses.
                  When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

p*ssing & moaning....

hey there folks...you all b*tch about the weather, snow, ice, record cold, and your favorite hockey teams........no matter what you all say or how bad it is.....you could be a season ticket holder for the Detroit Lions!...think about it!....talk 2 ya later....ross
                    rebel devil
                    1979 xs 1100f standard
                    authenic historical vehicle
                    42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
                    "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
                    "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
                    "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
                    '96 venture cct.....installed!
                    stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
                    i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Yeah, You may be stuck with the Lions, but you do have The RED WINGS! Congrats on the cup last season, We'll see if they can do it again. Have a nice day and ride safe
                      I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Very much so. i try to stay connected to the sport / hobby by working on my bikes during the cold snowy months.
                        Rob
                        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Lions....heck we got the Reds AND the Bungles!! And on top of it, we bought them each nine digit (hundreds of millions) stadiums that came with severely inflated ticket prices, and a screwed up riverfront and traffic for ever.

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

We have had unusually warm weather here in KC lately (global warming) so I have been able to get some riding in. Planning on taking the bike for work tomorrow. It is supposed to be 68 today.
                            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                            '82 XJ1100
                            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

rain rain

40,s the past few days in da u.p. snow's a melting just have to stay busy or the cabin fever will get ya

Comment

Working...
                              X