rain gear help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rain gear help

My delayed Christmas present is for a rain suit. Cannot go over $70.00. Any info and recommendations are needed as I no nothing about rain gear.
    HELP!
    Dell82
    Dell82
    Houston, TX
    82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
    SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

frog togs from cabelos come to mind. they are compact and will keep you dry, are very close to your price range, but look some what funky... we use them as packable rain gear when we go Quad riding and run into rain or muddy trails, which is often here in southwestern washington.
    Alias Larry R in Kelso WA

When in dought, punch it.
    XS1100LG Precious current
    XS1100SF Ruby gone to a better home
    KZ900B MIA stolen (ALL bike thieves MUST GET OFF THE PLANET more politically correct ???)

Comment

I also use frog togs and love them. Picked up a set at a local sporting goods store for $20.
      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
      '82 XJ1100
      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I picked up a Wet Skins rain pants and jacket at "Wallymart" up here in Orangeville ,Ontario. I've been caught in a few heavy rain storms and it kept me dry .It fits over my leather jacket too and about $80.00 here so it should be $40.00 in the U.S. LOL!
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

If you want to be bone dry for riding in the rain, nothing beats Gore Tex for that.I know it is $$$ but well worth it.I had a big insurance premium back a long time ago and was kind of forced to ride in the rain until i got car insurance.Bought jacket, socks, and pants-all Gore Tex.Rode 190 days straight and it rained quite a few times-never got soaked.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          xschop K & N air filter setup
          Dynojet Recalibration kit
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

I got the FROG TOGS and am very happy with them.
            Thanks to all the input, albeit this late reply.
            Dell82
            Dell82
            Houston, TX
            82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
            SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
            SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
            SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Comment

I have a 1 piece rainsuit that cost me $69.00 in 1989!?!?!?

Oh, god, not only underwear and t-shirts, but now I have raingear older than my friend's kids...

It's been great, but it's getting a bit snug over the leathers, and has some wear and tear.
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

rain gear

princess auto has a sale starting tomorrow morning ;; tuesday;; rainsuits ;;yellow;; are on for 9.99 all sizes l thru xxxl ,,3 piece i,m going to get me one...ride safe..slow mo!!
                The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                moemcnally@hotmail.com
                i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

I have had a Tourmaster PVC, 2 piece rainsuit for years and it is still going strong. I got it from Chaparral Cycle Supply for around $30. It is cut for bikers, longer sleeves (don't ride up) and legs. It is real cheap but has lasted thru many downpours with excellent results. Legs have a pleated area at the bottom that allows you to get em on over yout boots, snaps hold it in place. Elastic waistband holds well. The jacket has similar features. Collar on the jacket is tall enough to tuck under your helmet and it will stay put. I bought mine one size too big so I could get it over pants and leather riding jacket. Downside is it does not breathe at all so it can get kinda hot inside. Rolls up into a packet small enough to fit in my fairing pocket. Hot pipes will fry it in a second so you have to be carefull in that respect. It, and I survived a 260 mile ride thru a torrential downpour in 30 degree weather (miserable ride home!!). I stayed dry thru to whole ride except for my feet. If you need an inexpensive, once in a while rainsuit, its a good bet. DOES NOT repel hailstones, had to bail on that ride and wait it out under a overpass.
                  When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                    I have a 1 piece rainsuit that cost me $69.00 in 1989!?!?!?

Oh, god, not only underwear and t-shirts, but now I have raingear older than my friend's kids...

It's been great, but it's getting a bit snug over the leathers, and has some wear and tear.
                    I don't know how much of a consolation this will be, but if it makes you feel any better, I have a wool jacket that I made in 4-H when I was in Jr High, and I STILL wear it! Of course that was only 19 years ago. And yes, it still fits!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by slow mo View Post
                      princess auto has a sale starting tomorrow morning ;; tuesday;; rainsuits ;;yellow;; are on for 9.99 all sizes l thru xxxl ,,3 piece i,m going to get me one...ride safe..slow mo!!
                      Hey Mo,

Are you sure those are BIKE rainsuits, and not just walk around suits??

For that price, I would be surprised to see that they were durable enough to withstand the plummeling that a rain suit gets when riding! I had a hunting emergency rainsuit..top and pants, and the pants shredded in no time!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

and the pants shredded in no time!
                        I bought a set of Frog Togs... so did Ivan. The pants have gotten holes wore in them by the boot tops already on both of ours. I haven't found a good set of pants yet.

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

re;; princess auto

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                          Hey Mo,

Are you sure those are BIKE rainsuits, and not just walk around suits??

For that price, I would be surprised to see that they were durable enough to withstand the plummeling that a rain suit gets when riding! I had a hunting emergency rainsuit..top and pants, and the pants shredded in no time!
                          T.C.
                          hi T C! i doubt these are motorcycle specific rainsuts! princess auto sells pretty good stuff up here i don,t know if they are in the US the add says 3 piece bib overalls and jacket and hood all sizes,,weights 4 lbs,,zippered front comes in i thru xxxl yellow i,m going to buy one tomorrow you might be right,, ride safe and dry ,,slow mo
                          The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                          moemcnally@hotmail.com
                          i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

Comment

Originally posted by slow mo View Post
                            Hi Slo Mo,
                            TC has already pointed out some of the possible short comings of the "walk around" suits. I expect the Princess Auto will be fairly heavy duty construction style. biggest challenge will be getting the sleeves to seal around your wrists and if neck will fit tight enough.
                            Emergency fair weather rider should be fine to pack in the saddle bag.
                            Phil
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

thanks phil

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                              Hi Slo Mo,
                              TC has already pointed out some of the possible short comings of the "walk around" suits. I expect the Princess Auto will be fairly heavy duty construction style. biggest challenge will be getting the sleeves to seal around your wrists and if neck will fit tight enough.
                              Emergency fair weather rider should be fine to pack in the saddle bag.
                              Phil
                              thats what i need them for just to have in my saddlebags in case of emergency;;; signed,, fair weather rider! ride safe,, slow mo!!
                              moemcnally@hotmail.com
                              i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

Comment

Working...
                              X