Good Scare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Scare

My truck went south about two weeks ago so I have been using the bike for most of my transportation needs while I figure out what to do with the cage. Luckily, while cold, the snow has held off nicely for me. Saturday was very pretty, 35 and sunny, so I decided to take the old XS the 20 or so miles to visit a friend. I had planned on getting back before dark, but time got away from us and I didn’t end up heading out until 8. It was just starting to dip below freezing and the all the water from the melting snow left the roads nice and wet. I should have just turned around when I came across one of those big metal slabs in a turn that covered a construction whole and instead of turning, just slid right across. Still, I figured that the expressway would be dry so I got on only to find that, while better, the ice was starting to set up there too. After running about ten or so white knuckled miles, I saw a car attempting to merge from the on ramp spin out; then another. Well, needless to say, I decided that it was probably time for me to get off the highway. I found the straightest looking off-ramp I could find and went for it. I was able to crawl the rest of the way home on the side streets dodging the patches of ice and residual snow. While I managed to stay upright and get her home, I can tell you that I have never in my life been so glad to park a motorcycle.
    1980 XS 1100 Standard
    1980 XS 1100 Special
    1982 XJ 1100
    1972 Honda CB 350

Now that does not sound like a good time. Glad to hear you made it home safe.
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I don't like doing that stuff in car... I can imagine you were a little on the white knuckle side...

Glad you made it home safely
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Glad you kept it right side up.
        I decided this weekend to take the bike to a tool store to get supplys to strip the paint off the Virago.Lots of snow in yards but streets dry.My fuel light was on ,so I pulled into a gas station and the parking lot is wet right in front of me.I dont know if it was gas on water or a little icy,but I started sliding as I turned toward the pumps.So I decided to put my feet down and steer straight ahead which was right into the island the pumps sit on.I was only going a mile per hour or so,so I was able to keep it upright while I bumped into the island and stopped.I manage to backup a little and make my way around to the pump.I start pumping gas and all of a sudden a voice comes through the speaker from the attendant "You are on e lucky man".
        Its funny when stuff like that happens and you hope nobody notices.Then somebody lets you know,hey buddy ,I saw that.Pretty funny.
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Hey DP,

Glad to hear you survived!!

You need to get a set of these! They say they are RETRACTABLE!

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            Hey DP,

Glad to hear you survived!!

You need to get a set of these! They say they are RETRACTABLE!

T.C.
            Training wheels? Seems like they would take the fun out of the twisties.
            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
            '82 XJ1100
            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

nah they help.

On the rudder pedals, you push to toe forward to apply the differential braking, and with tip wheels like that the leverage is immense and it will turn on a dime.

Oh... wait..... Thought that was a B52....
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Back in the day

While young and dumb (I know, some things never change) I liked to ride my bicycle on the frozen creek between Woodhull and Jasper where my girlfriend lived. It was a great learning experience on how to ride on ice. A few years later I decided to take the Harley 125 Hummer for a Sunday drive just after a big snowstorm. Some of the roads were open and somewhat plowed in the farm country (Farmboys can only play in the winter between milkings) where I lived, it was a real challange and probably more fun than I could ever muster now. Ah the good ol' days.........
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...