I'm a believer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a believer.

In Sta-bil, that is. In the past, I always had a warm place to store / tinker over the winter, and that usually meant some silly upgrade or such, to keep me busy and I would drain the fuel, pull the tank & carbs. This is the first winter that I had to store the bike elsewhere, in an unheated garage. So around halloween I parked it in my friends garage, hooked up the tender and added the Sta-bil to a full tank. Ran it in like the directions say and not really believing it would help, walked away for 3 months fully expecting to have to pull the carbs in spring.

Sunday the weather was in the mid-fourties here, so I decided it was a good time to move the bike to her permanent new home, a 30 mile trip. Before the next snowstorm! First thing I did was check the oil window. Half-way up, good, no gas leaks, very good sign. Key-on, battery voltage was perfect. Primed the carbs and hit the starter and I swear the engine didn't even spin once 'round and it caught with a bang. The bang was accompanied by the rags I so lovingly shoved up the tailpipes back in October flying through the open garage door! Must have looked like a damned circus act to anyone looking on.

The roads were clear and dry and the bike didn't skip a beat. She's now cozy in her new home. 2-6 inches of snow due today, but 50's this weekend, maybe if it's dry I'll stretch her a bit!

That Sta-bil stuff is the ****!

Stabil goes in my tanks every winter even though I usually get several chances to ride throughout the winter. I just don't like the idea of pulling carbs because something got little use. It's just SO easy there's no reason not to.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Every spring, I fill up my 5-gal gas can that I use purely for lawn equipment. I alway add sta-bil to it, because I know I won't finish that gas till the end of fall. I use it in my lawn mower, weed wacker, chain saw, leaf blower, and leaf vacuum. Makes the gas work fine all the way through the year.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Not trying to one-up anyone.. just adding that Seafoam does the same thing as Stabil.. AND cleans.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

+1 on the Seafoam.

Comment

I agree, but it's like 3X as expensive. Also, I had never heard of Seafoam until just a few months ago. They don't sell it at Autozone or Home Depot. I had to go hunting for it at some other Auto Parts store that I never go to.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Great to hear that Randy..I'll bet those rags looked funny shooting out of the tailpipes...LOL.My bikes are indoors for the winter...like going to Fla as compared to being in NJ (garage) While the days have noticably gottn longer we ar still about 8 weeks befre riding season starts in earnest.I'll bet it felt good to get out for a short ride. BTW its snowing pretty good here...supposed to get 4"-6"
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

They don't sell it at Autozone

??? Must be a regional thing then.. the sell it at the Autozones around here. Walmart also. But yeah.. it is a bit more expensive per tank full.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

They sell it here at autozone also. It is more expensive but I believe that the benefits are worth the extra cost.
                  Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                  '82 XJ1100
                  '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Maybe it's just here in STL, but I hunted up and down on the shelves at Autozone for it. Definitely not at Walmart either. Might have it at a SuperWalmart, but we don't have one of those here. I found it at Advance Auto Parts, which is actually across the street from Autozone, and in the same parking lot as O'Riley's.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

My bikes, the XS and my 4 wheeler, tractor and lawn mower sit for 4-6 months at a time sometimes. I never use Sta-bil or anything and never had any problems with any of them firing right up or running bad. Not trying to bust your bubble. To each his own I guess.
                      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Sta-Bil

I use Sta-Bil in my generator. I haven't had to use it since Hurricane Wilma in 2005, but I start it up once a year and run it. Haven't changed the gas and it still starts up and runs fine.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                        X