New Member introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member introduction

Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself and give a bit of history.

While a new member, I'm a long-time XS11 owner, having bought my '78 new in June of that year. I've never been a 'heavy' rider as I live in Washington state and riding in the cold and/or rain isn't my bag at all. My bike still only has about 15K on it.

The bike got semi-regular use and a few touring jaunts (longest was to San Diego) until 1985, when I endoed it on the way to a AMA event (cinders on the road surface in a high-speed sweeper; ALMOST made the corner). Damage was suprisingly light, with a trashed windshield, handlebars, rear fender/taillight, various minor scrapes, busted hinge on the trailer (did I mention I was towing a trailer?) and a big dent in the tank from my knee. I ended up with stitches in my hand and leg (never did figure out how my leg got punctured) but no broken bones or rash. My buddys farmer-fixed it while another took me to the local emergency room, and we continued the trip. The bike never missed a beat, but boy, did that hand hurt. Oh yeah, the other casulty was the two cases of beer in the trailer. My buddys were pissed about that. I'd been rather lucky....

Anyway, I bought most of the parts to fix the bike, and shoved it into the corner of the garage until I healed up and had time to fix it. Well, time marched on, and a divorce, new wife, job, raise kids, etc and before you knew it, 15 years had passed.

Finally, all the kids were gone, so the bike was calling me. Pulled it out of it's corner and started in. Of course, after sitting for all that time, more stuff had went bad. So find parts. Hmmm, not so easy now. I got disgusted with the poor parts availability of 'vintage' Jap bikes (and it's true, don't deny it) and went out and bought a Sportster. Now, don't flame me for that; I didn't get rid of the XS did I? The Sporty is a fine bike, with great handling, unbelievable parts selection, and excellent fuel mileage (my wife's econobox gets better mileage than my XS ever did), but it's not a high-speed distance bike (yes, they DO vibrate, but no worse than the XS650 I had).

Well, the bike sat a bit more until my oldest kid expressed an interest. So I tracked down most of the rest of the parts and told him I would 'help' him get it back on the road. He started in on it, but it wasn't 'instant gratification' enough for him and he went out and bought a new Sportster that he since found out he can't afford. In the meanwhile, the XS came 'home'. Most of the hard stuff has been done. All the polished aluminum was pulled off and re-done (lookin' good!), the carbs were went through, and basically all that's left is rebuilding the brakes, a good tune-up, and a re-paint because I couldn't find a 'correct' maroon tank (anybody got a good one for sale? Probably not...). I'd love to 'correctly' restore it, but a OEM-type paint job is a bit beyond my abilities and/or budget, so it'll likely end up a non-stock color. I'm done touring (bad back) and my wife won't ride, so the trailer hitch will probably go away unless I keep it on for a conversation piece (although the reaction I got the time I took the motor top end off my truck to the machine shop in the trailer was priceless).

Anyway, I hope to have the bike up-and-running by the time riding weather comes back, so maybe I'll see you on the road.

And no, I'm not selling the Sporty; the one thing I never liked about the XS was it's weird 'pogo-ing' when corner carving. And let's face it; the XS suspension wasn't that great even when new for that sort of stuff.

Steve Ellingson
    Beautiful outer Yelm
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Parts

If you are looking for parts, Andreas Weiss can probably help you with about anything you need. Send him a personal message and he'll get back to you.
    Yeah.. They are squatty in corners but they are still bad ass bikes for their age!!
    78 XS1100E Standard
    Coca Cola Red
    Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

welcome Crazy Steve,
      Hes right about andreas and hes close,lives up by Omak.You can get the forks to stiffen up by the way,with a forkbrace.TKAT(a member here)makes them.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Welcome to the board .. .This is the place to be for info, parts, and anything else that has to do with the XS1100 Series of bikes ..
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Hey Steve,

Welcome, and we can see that you're still "CRAZY" after all these years!

There are some articles in the drop down menus under INFO that can describe the ways to improve the handling, like was mentioned the TKAT fork Brace a must, along with newer Progressive front fork springs, perhaps new rear shocks, some much newer better RUBBER, as well as stainless steel brake lines while you're working on the brakes.

Lots of Xsives in your neck of the woods, check out the Member's Lounge, read the STICKY thread and do a search, add yourself to the thread you learn to find, and come to a local rally....we actually RIDE at these rallies, not just talk and drink!

If you think the HD handles, with the mild mods/upgrades to the XS, and you'd had a hard time hanging with the XS on your HD!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

...There are some articles in the drop down menus under INFO that can describe the ways to improve the handling, like was mentioned the TKAT fork Brace a must, along with newer Progressive front fork springs, perhaps new rear shocks, some much newer better RUBBER, as well as stainless steel brake lines while you're working on the brakes.....

...If you think the HD handles, with the mild mods/upgrades to the XS, and you'd had a hard time hanging with the XS on your HD!
            ooooooooooooooooo

I am going to look into suspension improvements when my budget allows, but what I was really hoping for was some better front dampers, particularly to control brake dive. I've got Progressive springs/shocks on the Sporty, so I know their stuff offers a real handling gain. I had a fork brace on it also, but couldn't really feel any improvment (the H-D brace is made by Telefix) but that may be due to the larger H-D forks. I may look at machining down a set of RaceTech 'cartridge emulators' for the XS if they can be made to fit. I thought about a later-model fork upgrade, but the bike is so good looking as-is I hesitate to alter it as you can seldom make these kind of mods look OEM.

And the Sporty is no slouch; engine mods have pushed power to 85 RWHP, so it scoots pretty well. But the powerband is at the top of the tach now, unlike the turbine-like delivery I remember so well from the XS. I am looking forward to riding it again....

Thanks for the nice welcome!

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Hey again Steve,

In the tech forum, I remember a fairly recent discussion about fork emulators, and so I'm sure a search there would bring up those threads that might provide more information about doing that mod for it! But from what folks have commented about the Progressive springs is that it greatly reduced the dive action under front braking, for the specials so much so that they often didn't even put any air in the air forks!!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

RaceTec makes am emulator for the XS, so I am not sure why you would need to machine one. Welcome!
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Yeah, I know they make a model-specific emulator for the XS, but it's rather pricey at $170. I already have a spare set of emulators for the larger 39mm forks and a lathe, so.....

Although the main problem with these is the adjustment process; every time you want to make a change, you have to pull the caps and springs, fish the cartridges out of the forks, adjust (and they can be very touchy to adjust), then reverse procedure. Besides the work, getting fork oil all over is a added joy. Once you get them 'right', all is good, but getting there can drive you crazy.

Progressive makes a 'improved' damper for the 39mm that works nearly as well as emulators and is a fast bolt-in, but nothing for other size forks... sigh.

I'm going to need to get new tires too, so I think I'll go over to the tech forum and start a tire thread.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

welcome steve, i have 80g, i had bad brake dive. new progressive fork springs,fork brace [tkat] and fork oil. i use 15 weight. that made a big improvement. cost about 120.00. like to try 10 weight oil. i used no air in the forks, per progressive. first owner on a 78. cool
                    80 xs1100G

Comment

Another Wa. rider, close too, cool!
                      Fastmover
                      "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                      lion". SHL
                      78 XS1100e

Comment

Welcome aboard Steve!

Deny
                        1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                        1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo