needing new leathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• needing new leathers

so my crappy jacket lost the zipper pull for the main zipper and the cuff zippers have been busted for years along with one pocket. I finally got a bit of money to get some decent leathers. I'm tired of the "hot leathers" brand and similar stuff. I don't like brand names all over me(no walking billboard). I'm looking at a joe rocket plain black jacket. Does anyone have other suggestions or input on this or other brands? Thanks much.
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

I've never actually purchased from these guys, but leatherup.com seems to have a good selection of quality stuff.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Bargain leathers

Originally posted by BigDick View Post
      so my crappy jacket lost the zipper pull for the main zipper and the cuff zippers have been busted for years along with one pocket. I finally got a bit of money to get some decent leathers. I'm tired of the "hot leathers" brand and similar stuff. I don't like brand names all over me(no walking billboard). I'm looking at a joe rocket plain black jacket. Does anyone have other suggestions or input on this or other brands? Thanks much.
      Hi BigDick,
      um, how big are you? Dennis Kirk just sent me an e-flyer selling stuff at considerable discounts, including several makes & styles of leathers. Some are only in XXX size &/or discontinued lines, some are billboards and others are plain but it costs nothing to look. My son bought a plain leather jacket from them last year, less than 1/2 price because it was gray rather than black. Eric likes gray so he's real happy.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Joe Rocket

You should be happy with the Joe Rocket stuff. I have the Santa Fe jacket, which is three layers of mesh, which means I can wear it during the 100+ degree summer days we get here and not melt. It has a removable rain-proof liner that makes it a fairly warm jacket for other times. It is well made and practical, and has a minimum of the commercial crap that leather-leathers have for the wanna-be racers and their crotch rockets.
        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Joe Rocket

Sounds like I have the same jacket as LoHo. It is a very versatile jacket for most conditions. I'd buy another when I need one. Rick
          I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

I got my jacket through ridegear.com. I am a 5x it is a real nice feildsheer only cost 150 cuz it was a close out. Also picked up my son a cortech for 60 bucks lined and all adult L. Its wortha look.
            68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
            76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
            79 special (skull bike)
            79 special (parts bike w/title)
            79 special
            80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
            81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
            81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
            80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
            81 650 maxim
            81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
            88 Zx 600r (Sold)
            01 Gz 250

Comment

I'll second leather up, but make sure whatever you pick out has a metal zipper, not a plastic one. I ordered my jacket from them and I'm very happy with the quality of it, we ordered what we thought was the Womens version of the same jacket for SWMBO and it has a plastic zipper, only lasted a few months before it jammed and ripped some teeth out, so we were disapointed in the zipper but otherwise a fine jacket.

You could also check newenough.com, they handle only close outs and such and have a wide verity of styles.
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

I have had very good luck with these guys. I do not recall an easier return when I got two like products for X-mas a year ago.

I also am very happy with my Tourmaster Transitions II jacket and Caliber pants. They are textile not leather though. I also had a Tourmaster rainsuit that was a total piece. It tore the fist time I put it on, and I had to have swmbo sew it almost every time I wore it.
                Dave
                1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

thanks everyone for all the suggestions and comments, I'll look around on those sites but I'm really leaning toward the higher quality stuff. every coat I've owned has been $150 or less and I want one that's gonna last more than a couple of years while being worn daily.
                  1980 XS11SG
                  Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                  Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                  ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Hi BigDick,
                    Still trying to save you money here but I am by no means urging you to get a cheap shoddy jacket.
                    A $500 jacket is good. A $500 jacket for half-price is twice as good.
                    That's why I mentioned the Dennis Kirk e-flyer, they were dumping some top-of-the-line kit. Or try the local pawn shops.
                    Perhaps some unfortunate fellow needed to raise the wind by
                    pawning a real nice jacket that would fit you.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Check out motorcyclegear.com -- they have incredible closeout deals all the time. I got a normally $500 Firstgear jacket for $180 because they happened to have a few in an odd size of last year's model (I'm a big guy). Quality gear can be cheap, just watch for bargains. I bought a few pieces of cheap leather and won't waste my money again.

Edit: this one, still on sale in some sizes but only in black (mine is brown):
                      http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_jacket.html

Here is the same jacket on Motorcycle Superstore. still at a discounted price: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...er-Jacket.aspx

It's heavy, has elbow and back armor, a bunch of venting options, and is comfortable enough to use in 100f Alabama summers with the liner out, and is fine riding at 80mph and 35f too. It has a mesh layer inside under the winter liner. One of my favorite features is the "gun pocket", right inside the left breast at heart level. Perfect size pocket for a compact .45
                      Last edited by Danny Crawdad; 12-25-2011, 12:06 AM.
                      XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

I mostly lurk on here cause what I have to say isn't near as interesting as what others post up, but I've got to say I love it and get a good chuckle when someone digs up a 2 year old post.( or older) Not putting anyone down.
                        1979 XS1100SF
                        2005 VTX1800S3 ( Dailey ride)

Comment

Working...
                        X