xs1100 on the drag strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs1100 on the drag strip

ok.. i have to ask... has anyone had their XS1100 on the dragstrip recently? if so? what kind of times did it run and how close to stock is it? mine will be hitting the track for my birthday. SWMBO said this is the only chace i get...lol
    Shawn
    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
    78 XS1100E Parts
    www.hotrod1972.com

Way back about '85 I ran my '80 midnight VERY regular and got times down to 11:92 in the 1/4 & 7:88 in the1/8th. M.P.H. for the 1/4 was only 102 or 103 but in the 1/8 was 92 go figure. I plan to take "Battle Cat" out to the strip soon but it don't feel nearly as strong as my old bike. I also think it would be interesting to hear of other members times at the strip and such stuff!!! Garry
    Garry
    '79 SF "Battle Cat"
    outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

XS1100 in Drag

A bit of a nut over here that I talked to a few years ago has put in a Virago back wheel in for better gearing for drag racing.

That and a few other tweeks like flat slide carbs, a custom built igniton system got his times pretty competitive.

Anyone out there done anything similar to get better XS11 times?
      XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
      Guzzi 850
      Z1000

Comment

trip to the track for my birthday is not looking good.... no insurance and no inspection sticker....... If I had a trailer and something to pull it with, i could just take the plate off and call it a race bike then I could race it.

but i was just out practicing anyways... (11pm here)
        4000 rpm launch with too much clutch, and it bogs
        5000 rpm launch with too much clutch and it spins..
        asphalt it spins
        old concrete it spins
        new concrete it hooks pretty good

hopefully a miricle happens in the next week.. so i can go.
        Shawn
        78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
        78 XS1100E Parts
        www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

i'm pretty inexperienced, but just playing around the other day and found the same thing -- 4000 rpm it would bog, and when i got to where it wouldn't bog it would spin.

Comment

4000 rpm launch is ok but you have to feather the clutch some to get it to not bog
            Shawn
            78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
            78 XS1100E Parts
            www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

I'll probably just stick to my 1500 rpm starts

Comment

Slippin' the clutch(like the big boys do)

That's way to low (and SLOW) you gotta rev it up quite a ways and let the clutch out just enuff to make it move..... all the while applying full throttle..... then continue to let out the clutch farther and farther,.... it should be all the way out just about the time you run out of first gear..... this will take some practice. Don't worry about the clutch it runs in oil and if it burns up from that it didn't have far to go anyway.(IMHO) The way I look at it is I'm there to race the other guy, not to make my bike last forever. After a few trips down the 1/4 you"ll either say ""I ain't gonna tear my bike up" or else "next time I'm gonna do such and such" either way is ok just get out there and do it!!!!!!!!!!!P.S. if it spins you pull the clutch back in a fuzz and when it bites you keep letting it out untill the front wheel is in the air a foot or so but you gotta keep it at FULL THROTTLE , it's all in the clutch. When you've done it a while it'll lay down rubber and wheelie at the same time,.... which is about the best feeling you can get on a bike like this!!!!!!!!
                Garry
                '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

HA!

i was only joking about the 1500 rpm starts. i was just saying I'm probably not going to be doing any drag racing with my bike anyway.

the little bit of playing around I did do - it's much harder than I thought it was going to be.

I like to drive fast - but when I'm pushing this bike hard through the gears it just doesn't sound good. I'm sure it's normal but it sure makes a lot of noise. I alos don't like to see the rpms soar past 10k when I hit the false neutral.
                  Last edited by beechfront; 06-23-2003, 08:42 AM.

Comment

I know what you mean beech! these old bikes ain't gettin' any newer and back in the day I really didn't give a crap if something got tore up. Now I'm a lot slower and fatter and it sorta seems like the bike ain't much better sometimes. I guess I have a little more respect for things now. Truely, racing is very hard on equipment. One thing I have found tho is if I wear good boots when I'm shifting I don't miss gears as bad as when I wear tennis shoes!
                    Garry
                    '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                    outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

WHEEELIES! Holy jumping jesus, I didn't even know this was possible on these bikes with how damn heavy they are.

What a terrifying thought!

And enticing thought! =)
                      79 XS1100SF

Comment

When I let the ponies run, the front end is off the ground in first, second, and third gears. Ohhh yea.
                        JJJ

Comment

Me too. I have "chainies" that say its impossible to bring a shaft drive off the front wheel.

So, I do it in three gears, with my 225lb butt on the saddle, and their jaws drop. I collect my money and go home......

Just kidding, I let them keep their money. They will need it to replace those slicks they call tires on their crotch rockets!!

Gone but never Forgotten:
                          1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
                          2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
                          2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Just got home from a 70 hour week on a bridge job. All this talk about wheelies and spinning tires has got me chompin at the bit. The sun is still out, and 75 degrees. Tonight the ponies are gonna run! I`m outa here
                            JJJ

Comment

Gonna have to give the wheelies a try some day soon. LOL

I'm just a little skittish pushing the limits of a bike this large. I had a nasty experience years ago doing wheelies on a dirt bike and had it come over backwards on me.
                              1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Working...
                              X