Meeting of the Mimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meeting of the Mimes

In a big "welcome" to the brotherhood of Temple Eleven a few of a clowns gathered at my shop to help a new convert to the flock(as in sheep to the slaughter) ...Bob Embrey. Bob has recently purchased a full dressed XJ from Miles Baker (tentatively ) and it needs some TLC (transmission loving care).

Here's a few shots ... if your interested.

Bohn Frazer and Tod Bigelow after removing powerplant from the frame.

Three Amigos L-R Bob, Bohn and Tod

Larry, Curly and Moe

"Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer!"

Miles probably had the transmission go from trying to keep close to Cody! The only thing I see wrong is Bohn with a tool in his hand. He is VERY good at some things, I've just not figured out what as of yet.
    On a proper note, I do hope everything is going as planed, and the patient is back on the road soon.
    ( I need to cut back on the red wine Sunday evenings! )
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

What a relief.

Man, I was worried about working on my XS motor. I feel alot better now.
      I have ALL of those tools!!!!
      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

"Meeting of the Mimes.... I'm speechless!"

These pics must have been taken today.
        I can see that TRBIG rushed right over without first changing out of his "Sunday goin' to meeting" clothes.

Ya know... around the holiday season, I'm used to seeing cars driving around with "live" Christmas trees strapped onto their roofs. One of my favorite Christmas traditions was putting the boys in the truck and driving out to the tree place. Yup... we'd cut down our own tree and bring it back home.

But storing an artificial tree on top of the car like that...
        What's your tradition?
        Bundle up the kids, strap the fake tree to the roof and then drive around the block a few times?

Oh, and it's nice to see a fire extinguisher in your shop. A lot of people forget that that's an important "tool" to have handy... until it's too late.
        Geez, I mean... they only cost about $10/15 at Home Despot.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Mimes?

I KNOW better than that...

Hey! With all of that room... when are you going to be hosting an XSive get together? (no... this one doesn't count... no TeXSives were present)

81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

....And what's HILARIOUS, (As opposed to anything Proemtheus says) is that they are depending on me to be the brains of this case splitting, transmission fixin' operation.

We ran into a couple problems... stuck bolt that needed drilling and bad bearing on the primary shaft that we had to find a replacement for... but it should be good to go after the next meeting in a couple weeks.

On a side note, I made a tool that is a hook that grabs the cylinders down in the cam chain galley and pulls it up. It worked well... on the side the hook grabbed! lol. But it did get them loosened for us without damage to any of the cooling fins. Now I just need to figure out something that pulls up both sides. It's still in the experi"mental" stage.

It was good to meet our newest future member Bob. Bohn, as always, was a pleasure to be around. Mr. Elevenator?? Well... His WIFE is really nice! (Plus she's a HUGE Oklahoma Sooners fan!) lol.

See you guys again, hopefully, in a couple weeks... if I get invited back.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Oklahoma Sooners
              My ex father-in-law used to say his dog was a "Sooner".
              "Sooner sh*t in the house than go outside."

Oklahoma being "The Sooner State" has me bothered a bit.

What did you do, TRBIG... that has you questioning whether you'll be invited back or not?

Surely you remember our conversation years ago when you wanted to visit me?
              TRBIG: "Hey, Prom... Can I come up there and visit you?"
              Me: "Answer this riddle... What's the difference between toilet paper and a shower curtain?"
              TRBIG: "I don't know."
              Me: "In that case... no."
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

What did you do, TRBIG... that has you questioning whether you'll be invited back or not?
                Something having to do with implying that his wife was a Sooner fan. lol.

As for us meeting up there, I think you have things a bit confused. That happens with age and solitude.. so no big deal. When I told you that I HAD been up to Washington to visit and that we had traveled through Olympia and had not bothered to inquire about a visit, I could actually HEAR your tears of sadness (Or was it the drooling??) hitting the phone over your wails of grief. You then told me that you wished I would have told you earlier.. so I could BRING some toilet paper to you since YOU were tired of using the shower curtain.

So for you...

What's the difference between toilet paper and a shower curtain?"
                I guess the answer is simply that they are the same, but ONE of these is things re-useable?

Hopefully this will clear things up, though I know YOUR "reality" has nothing to actually do with reality.

Keep a stiff upper lip, little Buckaroo.. (it helps keep that bottom lip from leaking the drool so bad.)

Tod
                Last edited by trbig; 01-26-2009, 12:50 PM.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  ( I need to cut back on the red wine Sunday evenings! )
                  Well I "ain't" doin that on Sunday evenings...or Monday....or Tuesday...or Wednesday.........

Comment

Elevenator wrote:
                    Well I "ain't" doin that on Sunday evenings...or Monday....or Tuesday...or Wednesday.........
                    Yeah, but my problem is I have a lot of friends (NOT YOU, PROM!) who are REAL wine makers. So I have all these bottles of Merlot, Pinot Noir, Malbec, Zin, Cab, etc. All I can do is try and keep the celler down to about 10 cases! That's all I have room for. I just NEED to drink the rest!
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ray,

You poor poor thing. I feel soooo sorry for you.

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                        The only thing I see wrong is Bohn with a tool in his hand. He is VERY good at some things, I've just not figured out what as of yet...
                        I just now caught this...I'm kinda sloooooooow.

Ray you just haen't spent enough time around Bohn. Bohn has a severe compulsive disorder. He CLEANS EVERYTHING! When we pulled the motor out of the frame and split the case he was cleaning every crack....every fin...every nut, bolt and even spraying wiring harnesses under the tank with Armor All so they would LOOK NICE!

Hell he even removed the rear wheel and cleaned the grease residue out of the plastic hub cover. I said "What are you doing?!?! No one will ever see that!" He replied "Yes but I know it's dirty under there."

The Christmas tree has been removed in this photo so as not to "stress" some people out.

We got it all buttoned up and hit the starter. It turned through fine and had compression! WooHooo!. But alas when we tried to start it the starter motor failed!. Bigelow has another he is willing to loan to the project. Maybe tommorrow we'll "git 'er done" and see how Dr. Tods transmissionectomy works.

Comment

I always wanted more "ROOM" to work on my bikes during tear-down, but I have discovered an XS/XJ is magic. If you have an 8x10' space.. all the parts removed will take up all that room. If you have a 30x50 shop, it will STILL take up all that room, along with every bench. Build a new bench for more room? It will take up that also.

Bohn is one of the nicest obsessive/compulsive people you will ever meet. If you meet him at a rally sometime and everyone is around talking, park your bike next to him and set a few rags, some WD-40, Never Dull, and most importantly.. Plexus on the seat and walk away and watch. He will NOT be able to resist the temptation. It's like setting heroine and a needle in front of a recovering junkie.

Tod

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100