Learned something new today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learned something new today

Ya know how they say you learn something new everyday? Well I learned something new today. Apparently my body has decided that it no longer will accept Amoxycillin. Lovely. My arms and legs are now covered with a very NASTY rash that itches so bad I'd love to cut my skin off to make it feel better. Went to the Dr. Got Prednizone to take care of it and Benadryl to fight the itchiness. The Benadryl is doing a great job but WOW I'm tired now...

Just had to share my misery with everyone cause as we all know, misery loves company.

If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

First, let me state that I am NOT a doctor nor do I play one on TV! That said this past year I got poison ivy and then before I healed I got it again. This makes it much worse. Antihistamines (ex: Benadryl) is what you take for posoin ivy. In my quest for actual relief I found a home remedy that helped me a great deal. If you take a blow dryer on high and blow over the effected areas. I did not say burn the affected areas. It does two things. First it feels like you are scratching it. This sure feels good. It also releases the histamines. This provides about 8 hours of heavenly relief from the itch I hope that this helps. Please refer to the first sentence in this reply!
    Dave
    1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Amoxycillin is an antibiotic normaly used for children because of its weak effect. Antihistamines like Benadril work well in ccalming down rashes caused by allergic reactions. Used it a few times for jellyfish reactions on my kids. But be carefull you can OD on it very easily. The first symptom is that you can taste it on your tongue.
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Be careful taking that sh1t

Originally posted by Varnae View Post
        - - - Went to the Dr. Got Prednizone to take care of it and Benadryl to fight the itchiness. The Benadryl is doing a great job but WOW I'm tired now...
        Hi Carl,
        and tiredness is just the first side-effect. Check this out:-
        http://www.arthritis-treatment-and-r...e-effects.html
        Unless you are really, really sick with something serious and incurable by other medication or treatment, stay off the stuff.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I know what you mean, really...

Originally posted by Varnae View Post
          ... my body has decided that it no longer will accept Amoxycillin....
          I learned as a kid that I can't take Amoxycillin. And, since then I've learned that I can't take several other penicillin derivatives. Watch out for Ampicillin. Question: Are you lactose intolerant? Mildly lactose intolerant?

I copied this from wikipedia:
          The narrow range of treatable diseases or spectrum of activity of the penicillins, along with the poor activity of the orally active phenoxymethylpenicillin, led to the search for derivatives of penicillin that could treat a wider range of infections.

The first major development was ampicillin, which offered a broader spectrum of activity than either of the original penicillins. Further development yielded beta-lactamase-resistant penicillins including flucloxacillin, dicloxacillin and methicillin. These were significant for their activity against beta-lactamase-producing bacteria species, but are ineffective against the methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains that subsequently emerged.

Another development of the line of true penicillins was the antipseudomonal penicillins, such as ticarcillin and piperacillin, useful for their activity against Gram-negative bacteria. However, the usefulness of the beta-lactam ring was such that related antibiotics, including the mecillinams, the carbapenems and, most important, the cephalosporins, still retain it at the center of their structures.

You can see there are a number of derivatives.

Robert
          XJ1100 - Stock
          XV750 - POS parts bike

Comment

Update?

So how are you doing now?

I've always been allergic to penicillin so they never consider giving me any derivatives... Our daughters both developed an allergic reaction to amoxycillin at a very young age so they too are anti-cillin... We have felt your... well... itch... misery does, indeed, love company...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
            81 SH Something Special
            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
            80 LG Black Magic
            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
            For those on FB

Comment

About 8 yrs ago, I was give Omoxicillin for something, can't remember what. After a few hours, it seemed like someone was sitting on my chest. I called the ER and they told me to come in. I have no idea what they injected into me to fix the problem but it worked within minutes.

I was told that I had an allergic reaction to it.

Now I have had many, many penicillin shots over the years and never had a problem like that one.

Don
              currently own;
              1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
              2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Our best reguards! Good Luck!

Deny
                1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone. I'm feeling much better now. As a matter of fact by the end of the day that I made the original post I was looking much better all over. There is no longer any swelling and only occasional itching spells now. I still have 2 more doses of the prednizone left which I'll be taking even after reading the side effects page. Thanks for that info though. And thanks everyone for sharing your stories and making me feel better in my misery.

If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

When I was 5, I got a rusty nail in my hand, followed by chicken pox. Immediately after that, I got an ear infection. The Dr. gave me amox. and I ended up with the same itchy spots. Immeddiately after that, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It was a tough spring for me that year...

However, I have had pennicilin a few times in my adult life without any side effects. Maybe I just outgrew it.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                    X