It's GO TIME!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's GO TIME!!

Well, I finally went and did it. I got tired of waiting for someone to have a spare timing rotor, and I got tired of looking for one on ebay. I recently finished up the members carbs that I was working on and had no more obligations to having a running eleven. So, yesterday I took my timing rotor to the machine shop and told them to cut it down to an inch long and weld on a 3.5" diameter plate. This will be the reluctor wheel for the new GM DIS ignition system that will be part of the Megasquirt EFI project.

By taking that timing rotor to the machine shop, there is no going back. I can't slap the carbs on and go for a ride. The bike won't run until the project is done. I have no choice...it's go time.

I need to get a game-plan for the electrical, and then it will be time to start hooking stuff up. I am SO ready, I went and bought a set of self adjusting wire strippers.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

good luck with it,
    looking 4ward to seeing the results.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I've got a spare engine so I "should" have a spare timing rotor should the need arise.

Comment

Very cool!
        Very interested in seeing how this works out for you...
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

I did it and picked it up on Tuesday after work. I had them cut the original timing rotor down to an inch long, and weld on a 3.5" diameter 3/16" plate. The guy did a great job, it looks awesome! Now I need to get the timing notches cut in.

'81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Best of luck! I will be watching for updates!

Deny
            1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
            1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Working...
            X